Universal Papers, Please (by 3909)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Dec 12, 2014.

1. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Oh, it gets better. Sometimes they will tell you they are immigrating when the duration of stay is two days. Point it out and they will immediately correctly themselves, at which point you have to let them through! You have to be very careful with the transcript and interrogation.

2. gameperson

gameperson Member

Dec 24, 2014
    is this game worth playing? I've actually owned it for awhile but I've got so many steam games...

3. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I'm still unsure about this everyone's opinions are making me really really want it but given its price and the fact I've bought so many apps recently...

So sorry if it's already in the thread but I don't want to search through all of the pages. It says the game is 31 days or so, so do you play through and then just repeate for another ending? Also how long roughly does a playthrough take?

4. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    There are 20 endings and the save system allows you to easily explore the branching plot without playing the entire game over. It has also has 3 different endless modes with 4 difficulty levels each. Papers, Please is easily one of the most unique and best games I have ever played. If at this point with the massive positive response from reviewers and players alike you are still unsure then nothing will sway your opinion.

5. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Might get flamed but who cares. I found this too much like work. Not that I do this work, but it was too laborious. Checking documents. Sure it's gets somewhat I guess interesting (not for me), after a few days. But really, check the emblem, check the name, check the region, list goes on. Sure it's an abstract idea, but Not enjoyable for me. That's just my opinion and I'm entitled to it! Lol
    Merry Christmas!

(Lol seems my post is quite timely from balance perspective)

6. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I agree, this is pretty much a paper work simulator but for some reason the overall game is strangely appealing and quite enjoyable. I don't fully know why but for some reason we do. No one should get upset about a negative opinion about a game such as this, this game is not for everyone.

7. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Thanks man. BTW, how do I make payments? I kept seeing the vacant slots at the bottom of the screen but didn't know how to populate them. Then, I get arrested for delinquency. Geez...

8. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Papers, Please is a very unique spin on the mechanics used for story-telling in games. Instead of the gun-toting rebel trying to take down an oppressive regime, you play the role of a common, unassuming checkpoint inspector. The story of the revolution and the politics of the world still takes place but you experience it through your limited point of view. You see newspaper articles, meet strange agents, watch as rules are changed daily because of how the situation is changing in the region. The oppressive need to take care of your family adds a further personal touch to the whole ordeal, as you try to scrounge enough cash each day to keep your family fed and warm. The game is supposed to feel like a job, because that's what you're role-playing. Would you fault a Call of Duty game for feeling too much like a real war?

The actual gameplay being incredibly strong is an added bonus on top, as you feel engaged in the story and everything feels authentic. There are other games that have far more storytelling and little actual gameplay that are beloved franchises now (Telltale Games). And the game mechanics are not lacking at all, as you progress through the story you will be introduced to searches, detaining criminals, fingerprinting, breaking ciphers and you even get a
    gun
    at one point. Dismissing the game as a simple document checking simulator is being too harsh.

if you have the necessary credits then you can tap the little circles to fill them.

9. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    There are two sets of circles: beside the money and lining the bottom of the screen (both of which ar viewed at the same time). What are the latter ones for?

10. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Oh, those. You'll get tokens for doing certain things, as you collect them they will start showing up in those circles.

11. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Once again. I have my opinion and I'm entitled to it.
    What you call gameplay here, I really do not. After a day of work, this is the last thing I would want to fire up to play. That's just how I found it.

You make out like there's such massive story telling here. You want story, then go play final fantasy. Oh but I suppose those aren't different enough. Yes a game about someone's work is different, that's for sure. Doesn't mean I or everyone should want to play it.

The question about call of duty feeling like a real war just has no relevance compared to this. This is so minimal compared to that. And when Te minimal sort telling is done, it's time to compare documents again.

I'm not dismissing this as a document checker. Sure I failed to mention "the story", but the story is not enough to get away from the document checking.

And no, I don't see the gameplay as "strong" in one bit. I feel like it plays on people's OCD nature. I'll admit, checking is a addictive. But enjoyable? No thanks.

Anyway, not having a go, just rebutting because I'm entitled too, just like you have an opinion.

12. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    Sure everyone is entitled to their own opinion
    Sum it up it's just not your cup of tea,we got it :)

But for some it's a weirdly rewarding experience

How the hell the dev come up the idea of making this game....

13. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Sure, it's perfectly fine to have a minority opinion. The major sticking issue for you seems to be that a game where you spend the majority of the time comparing documents isn't really a game, and that's fine. Just to be sure, "gameplay" is just the mechanical aspect of any game. Even document checking is gameplay if it is part of a game, even if you don't not find it enjoyable. And as for playing Final Fantasy to get story... why? I'll play any game that has good story elements, regardless of how they are delivered. Shadow of the Colossus has one of the best stories ever told and it barely has any dialog!

So yeah, you're entitled to your opinion. And absolutely no one is forcing you play the game or even like it. I'm just glad something like this can exist and be almost universally adored even if some people find it to be be like work or not a game.

14. nolegirl

nolegirl Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Synching between devices

Hi all. I know this is an iPad only game, but does this game allow synching between say an iPad air and an iPad mini? I was on day 6 on my air but when I booted up the game on my mini, I had to start all over. Just wondering if there's a way to save data and pick up where I left off. Thanks!

15. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    Saves are tied to the actual App though so unless the game supports Cloud saves or uploads your save file to their server for back up purposes no that isn't possible. I'm quite certain this does not have cloud saves.

16. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    If saves are tied to game as Drucifer says, you might be able to transfer them from one device to another using iExplorer or iFunBox. Nonetheless, if you want to do this to play back and forth from one device to another, this method is uncomfortable to say the least...

17. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Haha I can't complete a clean run :(.. I really want to play endless mode

18. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Google the unlock code, or type the code
    and get it unlocked without googling ;)

19. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    I love you guys, seriously

20. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #220 VirtualBoyFreak, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
    What I love is this game. I've been playing 3h straight… until I noticed it was 3.30am :D so there goes half a night's sleep checking papers :p At least I'm at a quite good run in which
    I adopted my niece, she gave me the 100 coins and we are all living happily and healthy in a type 8 flat, with 115 credits saved and only 7-8 days left :)