Universal Papers, Please (by 3909)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Dec 12, 2014.

1. blue rocket

blue rocket Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2013
    i sure hope so, i don't play games on my iPad, would love this for my 6 plus.

2. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    It really doesn't look interesting to me and that price for how the game looks? Only visited the thread as I seen it had nearly 50% of the game of the week votes.

Why is it so good?

3. I admit the graphics are nothing appealing, but the gameplay, together with the story, is incrediblely fun. Even if you keep doing the same thing, you will find it interesting to do it repeatly. Not to mention it has different tasks to do as the game progresses.

Also, the things that you do inside the game are pretty similar to what a customs officer does, you can experience it as you are unlikely to do it in real life.

4. bluewomble88

bluewomble88 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    This game is deliciously depressing and bleak.

The mechanics of it are easy to pick up and pretty repetitive but the undertones behind the subject matter shines through wonderfully. I can almost imagine being in a real check point whilst stamping the passports. The sudden intrusion from the ticker machine highlighting that you've let the wrong person in is haunting.

I got this during the launch sale. I would buy this at full price and not be disappointed. I sincerely hope this makes plenty of money and motivates the dev to create a Papers, Please 2 with more modern features included. The possibilities are quite considerable I believe with the current gen technology. I wonder....

Glory to Papers, Please!

5. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    The game looks sublime! It has been crafted to the very last pixel!

I promise you that you will rarely find a game that has been designed to such meticulous detail, let alone on the App Store.

6. wigzisonfire

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    At first I found it really difficult. Just keep repeating the first few days to get your own Rythmn.

It feels impossible at first but I promise if you stick at it, it becomes second nature!

Also, a little tip that helped me. If you alternate between paying for food and heat each day, your family still get along fine. Just saves you a little bit of essential money each day.

7. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Ya, the graphics are completely perfect.
    1. It's 1982 so it does remind me of mid 80's computer graphics.
    2. They did the pixel graphics really well
    3. They made some of the things like people's faces look so weird and creepy it really adds to the game. Also some of them look so weird it's even hard to sometimes tell their sex which makes the game more fun.

8. wigzisonfire

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    Yea lol! I've had a few people that I thought were definite guys! Then you do a full body scan and see lady parts and you're all 'oops, my bad!' Lol

9. popjam5

popjam5 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2012
    #189 popjam5, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
    An App Store review says it doesn't work on the IPad Air? Is this true?

Also, this or frozen synapse? Is frozen synapse even worth it? (Sorry if off-topic)

10. Fuzzyaardvark

Fuzzyaardvark Active Member

Dec 24, 2011
    UK
    It works perfectly on iPad Air as that is what I am playing on.

They are both very different games, and I have both of them, but if I had to choose then it would be Papers, Please. I bought it (Papers, Please) on Steam months ago, and still insantly bought it when it was released on iPad.

Saying all this Frozen Synapse is also an excellent game.

Sorry, not much help.

11. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    The two games I've found this year to have these qualities you mention are FTL and Papers Please. So yeah, instabuy at full price :)

12. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I agree 100% with your statement. Papers, Please and FLT are both masterpieces. They are also a natural fit for a tablet.

13. popjam5

popjam5 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Thanks, yeah I realise it's hard to compare two completely different games. It's hard when deciding between $10 apps, not because the price is too high, but because the feeling of buyers remorse if I buy one I don't like.

I guess I'll pick this up and hope Frozen synapse gets a price drop

14. bababewey

bababewey Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2012
    This way before Frozen Synapse I'd recommend.

15. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I agree, plus Frozen Synapse goes on sale from time to time.

16. Fuzzyaardvark

Fuzzyaardvark Active Member

Dec 24, 2011
    UK
    I seem to remember getting it for 69p which was an absolute steal.

17. wigzisonfire

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    Too true dude. FTL blew my mind.

Funnily enough, I had papers, please on PC but it never hooked me in. But I still insta bought it on my iPad as I loved the look and feel.

It is like a completely different game on iPad, I haven't put it down since purchase, it feels such a perfect fit for iPad as did FTL.

Can't reccomend two games enough. Every iPad owner should have both.

18. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Anyone know how to figure this out?

I'm stuck on this level. I tried to deny her, but couldn't. She doesn't have all the supporting docs. Can someone please advise? I've a sinking feeling that I'm missing something very obvious, for some reason...

[​IMG]

19. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    She doesn't have a passport. Open the rulebook to the first page where it says everyone should have a passport, use the discrepancy highlighting tool to select that rule and the counter to indicate that her document is missing. This stumps a lot of people, in the original demo a lot of people just thought the demo had a bug.

20. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I've had a case where I used the rulebook to point out the missing passport at which point the guy supplied it! So you'll want to note their reactions to the "interrogations" before flatly denying. ;)