Universal Paperback: The Game (by Fowers Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by dalbertson, Sep 27, 2016.

1. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Looks good! Thanks for the quick update :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. TheGribble

TheGribble Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Loving this game - might have to find the paper one. Personally I'd love some sort of scenario / mission based thing to add more to the single player side of it, but I'm not complaining.

One odd thing, the AI just got the best word with EEARACH, didn't see it played so don't know if that was EARACHE first and the E has drifted, or if it's some obscure type of Egyptian vase.

Attached Files:

3. projectmoonlightcafe

projectmoonlightcafe Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    How do you use an ability? I had a card that said trash one card in hand to gain $.01 but I can't trash anything

4. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    #44 Tango, Oct 2, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    Yep! Some cards you can buy have the "trash a card from your hand and receive a card worth +1 or +2 more". It is a little unintuitive but how you use the ability is make a word using the special card but leave the cards you want to trash in your hand. When you submit the word it will then asks what card you would like to trash. I get so used to making big words I often leave my hand blank. Hope that helps!

5. misterK

misterK Member

Nov 14, 2014
    I'm really loving this game, and once online multiplayer comes out it'll be even better.

One feature I would really like to be added is some sort of statistics page. Just some way to keep track of your biggest words, most fame points in a single game, or total wins. Something that makes it feel like your game doesn't just dissapear after playing it.
    It may sound silly, but this adds a little longevity to a game for me.

6. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I agree. I mean the game does even track the biggest point word of each game, but doesn't appear to store it anywhere so we could see both the biggest word made this session and the biggest word ever made in the game on this device ever.

7. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Ah, the famous EEARACH, of course - deity of free-to-play and freemium games on iOS. :)

I'm curious about that too, more on the note of dictionary. I happened to be playing a game with my wife during the weekend, and wanted to use the word REALTOR. The game did not recognize it, much to my chagrin, even though it is a real word to the best of my knowledge.

I even tried to look up the word now in some Scrabble dictionaries, and it seems to check out:

http://www.scrabblewordsolver.com/word-checker/realtor

Any chance we could update the dictionary to perhaps include a larger selection of valid words, based on some real-life dictionaries?

Alternatively - or, in addition, - would we consider, for local multiplayer games, having an option of approving an unrecognized word (i.e. a special, separate button with a confirmation popup)? I'd imagine in the physical copy of the game, that's kind of how words are accepted or not.

It's a minor thing, so I'm not especially worried about the button, but it'd be good to avoid these cases where a word exists but the game blocks you from proceeding.

Thanks for the great game! :)

8. dominici

dominici Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Librarian
    Australia
    I too was vexed about not being able to use realtor, as it is indeed a legitimate word. The dictionary does need expanding, otherwise I'm enjoying the game

9. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    I had a scoring question as well. Maybe there's a manual on BGG or something. The end-game 'best word' score didn't actually match up with what happened in game. I can't post a screenshot but here's what I had:

Word: NUBS

N, 1 c, Double the score of an adjacent card
    U, 4 c, Double Word Score, trash after use
    B, 3 c, Double Word Score, trash after use
    S, 1 c, If this is the last letter, +1 card

In-game, it gave me the following score:

(1 + 8 + 3 + 1) = 13 * 2 * 2 = 52. This was more than enough to buy out all the remaining victory cards and completely smash my opponents.

On the post-game screen, it gave me a score of 36 by completely disregarding the "Double the score of an adjacent card" ability:

(1 + 4 + 3 + 1) = 9 * 2 * 2 = 36

So, either the scoring display on the end game "best word" thing is a little wacky, or there's something a little off in-game. I'll check around and see if I can find the manual for an explanation of how multipliers work together. I know this word was a kind of wacky case, but hey, it can happen...

10. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    #50 pjft, Oct 4, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2016

Are you sure it wasn't 39? I am under the impression, from reading the manual at the time, that two doubles count as a triple(I.e additive, not multiplying).

I may be confusing things, though.

11. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Yep, I'm sure. I took a screenshot, hope it posts properly.

Attached Files:

12. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011

Great! That does seem like a bug then, glad you have a screenshot! Hopefully Tim or the team see it.

I'll probably drop them an email just to be on the safe side. :)

13. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Multiplayer is out

In case you miss it, the latest update includes online multiplayer. And it is async!

14. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Awesome, have really been waiting for MP on this #. Added you as friend and invited mr mutton - I’m skoptic if anyone wants to add and invite :)

15. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    bolnerap on Paperback, feel free to add me / invite me to a game. Been enjoying my first couple rounds of this online so far, though one person I got into a game with maxed out the victory point piles and it looks like it'll take a while...

16. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    I have 3 games concurrent now. And I see notification is not working...

Apart from that: this game has set the new benchmark of how to display another player's move properly: just by showing them right on the game loading screen! How elegant is that?! Why nobody thought about this before?

17. EHooper02

EHooper02 New Member

Oct 12, 2012
    Can't seem to add any friends. Immediately after adding their name it tells me it timed out. Anyone else having this problem?

18. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    I was able to add skoptic no problem. Also, notifications appear to be working with the latest update. At least, it told me a game had started - I still haven't had a new turn in any of my games for almost two days. :\