Universal Paperback: The Game (by Fowers Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by dalbertson, Sep 27, 2016.

1. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    This is a fun game, though it has a few bugs. Namely, I've been able to purchase paperbacks by mistake, without having the score, just by double tapping on them a few times. If one doesn't work, try another. I just bought the most expensive one with a score of 5. :( I was trying to open it to see what it was and found out I bought it.
    Who can I report this to? Does anyone have the devs contact?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    That's a shame, hopefully it will get fixed soon. The App Store app link to dev site is http://www.fowers.net which has contact details. :)

3. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Thanks. Dropped Tim a line there and sent him the link to the thread as well.

Really fun game, ordered the physical version as well. I wanted to test it out and see if it would be something my wife would find interesting, and from what I played it should be a real popular choice. That's why I was asking about multiplayer - hotseat, rather than online necessarily. I'll try it out later today.

What a great week, with Frost and Paperback on iOS! Two different games, but very fun ones in their own right.

4. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    For when the dev inevitably possibly appears in the thread:

Will online multiplayer be asynchronous? (I'm assuming as much, and would normally never entertain the idea that a developer would implement only realtime multiplayer for a game made to be played in wholly separate turns. But too many epitomic turn-based titles have rebelled against the notion of fun as a thing we can choose to have at out leisure :) )

5. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Looks interesting. I know zero about it so I'll do some reading up. But seems right up my alley.

6. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    This is literally a cross between Dominion and a word game. It's a really fun, elegant game.

7. abstractgamefreak

abstractgamefreak Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Male
    Musician
    Germany
    #27 abstractgamefreak, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    How do I trash cards?

In the rulebook of the boardgame there is mentioned the option to trash/scrap cards to trim your deck before you buy new ones. Is this a special ability of some cards?

8. gaymerX

gaymerX Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2014
    This video is a great explanation of the game and how it's played. This video is for the physical version of the game, but it's a great help in determining if you might like the game.

https://youtu.be/wjtaWa4uVjw

9. fiskadoro

fiskadoro Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    As someone who is a big word game fan (especially on my phone) but admittedly pretty much ignorant of the whole deck-building game genre, is this something you think that will appeal? I see a lot of reviews from the card-game player perspective but I'm guessing this bridges the gap so word game buffs like myself can enjoy it?

10. waymoreblues

waymoreblues Active Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Absolutely you will enjoy it! The deck building aspect is easy to pick up on- using strategic decisions to buy letters (with or without bonuses) to help with your selection of letters and scoring, or to buy a novel which gives you fame points (how you win the game). I see it as more of a word game, and am loving it!!

11. fiskadoro

fiskadoro Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Thank you for the quick response! Definitely intrigued now.

12. tfowers

tfowers New Member

Sep 28, 2016
    Hey guys - Tim here - we are getting a bug patch out ASAP, should clear up most of what you're seeing.
    multiplayer should be cross plat and async, but it's still in the works. Also looking at doing co-op/solo mode. If you find a bug that you can reproduce, email me tim AT fowers DOT net

13. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Thanks Tim, great to hear!

Thanks for the great port :)

14. wyzau

wyzau Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    any plans for localization? (german) :)

15. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Any plan for async multi-player?

16. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Tim said "multiplayer should be cross plat and async, but it's still in the works" so I am hopeful! Sounds like a great async game! Can't wait to get some iTunes money to pick it up and play!

17. ChromaTick

ChromaTick Member

Jun 29, 2011
    #37 ChromaTick, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    In the physical card game I recall that each player would get a random ability bonus, but I don't see that in the iOS version. Is that something that will be coming in the future?

Looking forward to async multiplayer.

Really enjoy the game.

18. Roleki

Roleki Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Are the graphics as bad as the screenshots? Doesn't look "retina" at all...

19. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    #39 vectorarchitekt, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    They're not bad. It still looks good on an iOS screen while remaining "retro".

Also, I have to be honest. The AI game could be so much quicker. Could a "fast animations" mode be made maybe to skip a lot of the time waiting for the opponent to make a turn? I know it's supposed to seem like a board game but after you make your move, the AI's word could just appear and then the pile doesn't have to be stacked every move....I love the game but watching the AI make a move as slow as a person and watching the cards count points and the computer pick a card each time is glacial.
    All I really want to know is how what word it made and how many points and did it steal a game card.
    Sorry, I don't mean to sound like such a complainer.

20. tfowers

tfowers New Member

Sep 28, 2016
    New patch is out - grab it and see if your bugs are still happening.