iPhone Panzer Corps (By Slitherine)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    May i ask you what are you referring to?The missing music volume slider?Some UI buttons that might look a little pixelated?Just curious...

2. Farmer Harv

Farmer Harv Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Your seeming inability to understand what is included in Panzer Corps for a given price has nothing do do with me not having any hope. Unless you can point out the missing units/features/scenarios that make this somewhat less than a 1:1 port of the PC version, I'd have to say you're blowing smoke.

Could be I'm totally wrong and there is a shortfall somewhere, but I sure haven't seen anything (or nothing, as the case may be) yet.

3. Slitherine Iain

Slitherine Iain Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Just to clarify for anyone reading there is full retina support.

What people are saying is that when you zoom in the units become slightly pixellated which is because when you fully zoom in you see the units pixel doubled. You are seeing the same art that PC uses throughout the game. Because of the volume of content in the game you could not fit higher resolution images on the iPad as it does not have enough memory. It would require doubling the dimensions of the images to avoid any pixellation which requires 4 times the memory. Apart from the fact it would not work, it would make loading times 4 times as long and performance slower. On top of that it would take about a year to create this art.

So we do have full retina support but some people are confusing that with the ability to zoom in fully and still have no scaling.

4. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    #124 CoreyB, Dec 21, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
    I completely understand but I still think the ui (the bar on the right side of the screen) should be retina.

5. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    I don't know what Tucker is talking about either. Just to be clear this game is a 10 out of 10 for me. The pixelated UI is really a non issue and just something I would like to see. I think it speaks volumes to the quality of one the port and two the depth of gameplay that the only "non issues" are purely cosmetic. This game the best $20, soon to be $80, I have ever spent.

6. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Have you managed to find the custom AI setting? I see mention of it on Slitherine's Panzer Corps forum, but cannot seem to locate it on both my iPad 2 and rMini...

7. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    I don't see it as an option either, I think that is probably only on PC...for now. I'm struggling with general so I'm happy with the ai so far.

8. Wisely

Wisely Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    So what you all are saying is that with this game, you get involved in the units fighting on the ground? Still need a lot of strategies but much closer to the action/more arcade?

Am I right?

9. Tucker

Tucker Active Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Nope. You select a picture of a tank or squad or whichever and that picture represents a selection of statistics. You then select a hexagon space for the picture to move to, or select another picture that has its own set of statistics which if chosen to attack, will then have the statistics compared by the computer program and a result given after such computation. You do that with all of the pictures of your units until you are satisfied and end your turn, in which the artificial intelligence will do the same sort of procedure with "his" unit pictures.

10. Slitherine Iain

Slitherine Iain Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2011
    That is one way to interpret it, but if you want to use that definition you have described every turn based hex game ever made on any format. ;)

Panzer Corps is larger scale than Battle Academy and less arcades in look. It is about operational level strategies where you need to worry about fuel and ammo so playing as a high level commander, while BA is a tactical game where you worry about the facing of a tank to get a rear shot, so you are more like a front line officer right in the action. Everyone has their personal preference. Read up on some of the reviews if you want more info. Pocket Tactics has a newbie guide just posted.

11. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    Why would you buy the game if that doesn't interest you. Im sure you think you're very clever with your intended sarcasm, but I, as many others, find that very fun. The description of the game is very clear as to what the game is about so I'm not sure why you feel "ripped off". Your comments seem to suggest you have never played the game. I'm not sure what more you intend to add to this thread as you negative repetitive comments are understood. We get it you hate the game, it cost too much, it's just pictures fighting pictures over and over.

To Wisely, Iain discription is obviously spot on but would add the game is in no way action/arcade. It's really brilliant in that you can get as much out of it as you put in it. If you don't want to dive into the statistics you can still have a blast as I have learning the ropes of the game. Now that I've played for awhile I'm starting to pay attention to the "selection of statistics" and can't get over I'm playing such a deep and rewarding strategy game on my iPad.

12. PolishHooligan

Dec 22, 2013
    #132 PolishHooligan, Dec 22, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
    The game looks good but I really would rather purchase the other SLitherine game with animations. The problem is that game focuses entirely on the theatre of war and history I have no interest in as a Polak: the boring western front. If the dev made that game in this theater of operations he would have a brand new customer. I like real animations and some 3d graphics but want the part of history that interests me.

Also how does this game compare to the operational art of war series?

13. Lord Zimoa

Lord Zimoa Member

May 6, 2012
    #133 Lord Zimoa, Dec 22, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
    BA 2 will focus on the Eastern Front

14. Parkingtigers

Parkingtigers Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Got paid a little early this month, so bought the Pack. That's $80 I've spent on this game. Worth every penny. Got my first multiplayer game going, and more ways to re fight WWII than I'll ever need. Going to take me years to get through all this delicious content.

Enjoy my money Slitherine, and once again a sincere thanks for continuing to bring top quality strategy games to iOS. I love my iPad, I love turn based strategy, and I love World War II. You guys let me indulge my love of these simultaneously.

There are plenty of Eastern Front battles in this game too, the assault on Russia makes up a large part of the full campaign. In the 10 Grand Campaigns, available as a separate purchase, the Eastern Front gets a lot of time dedicated to it.

15. Wisely

Wisely Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    I consider myself a noob in wargame. The last time I enjoyed a war game was Civilisation 4. Somehow I doubt that makes a good comparison.

Am very tempted to buy this game for myself as a Christmas app.

Would a noob in wargame be able to learn and enjoy this game?

16. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    I would say yes very much so. As I said you don't have to dive into all the stats to enjoy the game, but once you do, the gameplay becomes much deeper. That said its a turned based wargame and if that's not something you like this game isn't going to convert you.

17. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Battle Academy might be a better fit as you have to manage the continuous buying of different troops, their promotion as well as supply in Panzer Corps. Bombardment causes different levels of suppression instead of just outright killing your enemies.

Battle Academy just provides you your troops so it is less complex.

That said, Panzer Corps is not really that hard to understand...

You might also want to try Tank Battle 1944, which is even simpler than Battle Academy, and both have free lite versions for trying.

18. dedyp79

dedyp79 Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Panzer Corps is easy to learn for noob like me...and i want to learn deeper because its make the game more fun...never played game like this before and already fall in love with the game.

19. Wisely

Wisely Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    #139 Wisely, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
    Great advice!

Merry Christmas all!

20. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    Merry Christmas Everyone! Very happy, got some iTunes cards for Christmas and immediately bought the mega pack. Needless to say, it's a good way wind down the night. Snowing outside, fire in the fireplace, my favorite armchair, and Panzer Corps (Allied Corps Now) on the ipad.

Anyway, to my point, has anyone else noticed when scrolling the map jumps back to the view before you started scrolling. I really notice it when trying to scroll over large areas. The fix I've found is to zoom to the mini map then point on there to where I want to go but suspect that is not intended by the devs.