iPhone Panzer Corps (By Slitherine)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Dec 17, 2013.

1. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    The letters and number on the UI bar on the right hand side of the screen look very crisp but the button, especially the very small buttons look pixelated. I understand where your coming from though. Like I said its your best ipad game yet, I'm probably just being spoiled. I just can't help to think it looks weird with the numbers looking so good next to the pixelated buttons.

2. TDLove

TDLove Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Thank you for releasing this on iOS. I'm happy to pay top dollar for top quality games.

3. LarryWP

LarryWP Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2013
    #103 LarryWP, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
    I have this on PC and it is excellent! I will continue to support games like this as there are not enough true strategy games being made. Good job Slitherine.

3-11-2014
    Edit: Three months later and no music volume fix. Keeps me from buying their new Da Vinci game. Post #32 Ian said there was not enough time to do everything and the music would be fixed in an update. New game Da Vinci but no patch for this game?! Lost my support.

4. volcanopele

volcanopele Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 27, 2011
    Planetary Geologist
    AZ, US
    I got to say, despite being more excited about San Andreas prior to release, in the last couple of days, I've been playing this game a lot more. iOS is so starved for really nice strategy games, and that's how I see this. Never played that many wargames before, but the tutorial campaign seems to do a good job in explaining how to play the game.

As far as the price point, you know, at $20, the caution is understandable. That's not quite impulse purchase territory anymore and I can understand the desire to read impressions of the game first before buying. Nothing wrong with that at all.

I for one am enjoying the game so far. Definitely one of the best strategy games I've seen on iOS.

5. LarryWP

LarryWP Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2013
    I agree, best I've seen too. However, I am looking forward to being able to turn the music down, or off entirely. It is annoying. I read that in the first update this will be addressed.

6. Parkingtigers

Parkingtigers Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    My god, that's the longest tutorial I have ever played. But then, potentially this has one of the longest campiagns (with DLC) so you need to be well trained.

Slitherdudes, couple of notes so far:

1/ Nothing in the game or manual mentions terrain effects. I think at one point it mentions forests, towns and mountains as being close terrain, so better for infantry. It also mentions rivers as being a bad place to end a turn. What about swamps though? A page about terrain types discussing defensive bonus, movement speeds, pluses and minuses for various troop types would be good to have.

2/ Sometimes the combat prediction shows things like 0/-4 and then ends up with freaky results like -5/-1. This isn't rugged defense, just combat results that seem completely at odds with what the prediction suggested. I have no idea how that happens. I saw on PC that you can CTRL click to get an extended combat odds window. How do we do that on iOS? I really need to see the numbers to show how the combat was resolved.

3/ The library doesn't show all units. Would love to see that extended to browse through everything. I'm surprised it doesn't include unit stats. Have to rely on the purchasing screen to check out units, but it would be nice if the library offered the same functionality outside of a battle, and for everything. What you have is lovely, but it seems strangely limited in function.

4/ There was no sound effect for the Sdkz anti-air truck's movement in tutorial five.

5/ I could switch the flak 88 to anti-ground, but not the other anti air units. Can they not fire in that mode? Also, they and other units have their attack number in brackets like this. [5] What do attack numbers in brackets mean? It's not mentioned anywhere.

Still incredibly impressed by the quality of the game and the port. Wish I could afford the mega pack right now, as I'm definitely going to be wanting everything.

7. Tikanderoga

Tikanderoga Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    IT Sys Admin
    Lismore
    It will be released as an expansion for 9.99 :D

But on a serious note:
    I understand devs need to live of something and can't/won't give their apps for free, but paying as much for a mobile game (or even more like in this case) compared to a AAA game for the PC is just out for me.

8. MrLogan

MrLogan Member

Jun 23, 2012
    But this is the exact same AAA game that they did release for the PC.

9. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    One question :
    Can you download custom campaigns and scenarios made by other people as in Battle Academy ?

10. Slitherine Iain

Slitherine Iain Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Not at the moment unfortunately. We'd like to add that but its a large job so we don't have any firm plans right now.

11. Parkingtigers

Apr 6, 2010
    This game is $30 on PC, but only $20 on iPad, despite being the exact same game. That's a discount, not a price increase.

12. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Parkingtiger,
    I have many of the same questions you do! One I can answer though: the numbers in brackets is a defensive fire ability. For example a unit with [5] hard means that if it gets attacked by a tank or other hard unit it will deal out that numerical amount of damage. However you can't use it to attack the enemy yourself. This seems to show up mostly in anti-air defense abilities and anti-tank defense in units where that is not their primary role.

13. Parkingtigers

Apr 6, 2010
    Ok, I thought it might be a defense only thing. Like the two starting recon units, one has some air attack numbers in brackets, the other doesn't. Figuring most stuff out by trial and error, I really would like the full combat stats window to speed that up a little but I'm getting the hang of things. I did watch some YouTube let's play videos before release where some veteran players explained some of the more advanced concepts which also helped.

Trying the campaign on Field Marshal difficulty, managed a decisive victory in Poland on the last turn before it would have become a marginal victory. Suffered some heavy casualties though. Going to see how that affects the battle for Norway. That assault on Poland lasted me the entire train ride to and from work, it was fantastic.

Can't wait for payday, I need that megapack. I'll be slapping down $60 for everything.

I've seen the campaign trees for the individual Grand Campaign years, and how they carry over core units between years to make a mega campaign. Do the Afrika Corps and Allied Corps battles get added into these? Or if not, is there a "best" playing order? I want to plan out the optimum way of fighting the war from start to finish, and with that many scenarios I'd like to get it correct from the start.

14. Wisely

Wisely Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    I am keen on this game but can anyone briefly tell me what are the key differences between Battle Academy and Panzer Corps in term of gameplay?

15. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Operational level (Panzer Corps) versus tactical level (Battle Academy).

16. raposo777

raposo777 Member

Dec 18, 2013
    No retina display for the price i paid?
    Will there be an upgrade/update forit?

17. romsaer

romsaer New Member

Dec 20, 2013
    Other differences: branching campaign (if you do very well in the beginning missions, you'll play missions where you invade England, for example), units that gain experience and can be upgraded with new hardware and made super strong. Since it's operational, air & sea units can be manually controlled.

On the flip side, unless you get the grand campaign DLCs, there are a lot fewer battles/missions per theater. Obviously, since BA is tactical, things like facing & terrain matter a lot more.

I like Battle Academy, but I think Panzer Corps is more replayable and just, in general, more fun for me.

18. Tucker

Tucker Active Member

Nov 14, 2009
    I hear this parroted but it is false. There are issues with the ios adaptation that do not translate well. It's like saying that picture of Mila Kunis is just like the real thing.

19. Farmer Harv

Farmer Harv Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Aside from being incorrect, you are also wrong. It has 100% of the content the PC game. Period. The UI is different (improved IMO) in some ways, but that is to be expected given the different form of input required for a tablet.

The analogy police should be coming for you now also. Bad analogy. Horrible even.

20. Tucker

Tucker Active Member

Nov 14, 2009
    If you are unable to read what others have said regarding the IOS port here and elsewhere than there is no hope for you. We'll see how it is after the patch in January.