iPhone Panzer Corps (By Slitherine)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Panzer General 2 was my favorite-a bit more complicated than the original (quite a bit), but still accessable-much more so than most. And Allied General. Oh-I loved Pcific General. Even played a lot of People's General! Oh, if only I had the money in my account...

2. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Once again...This is a Pc wargame port. War games, at least successful ones, ALWAYS have boatloads of paid campaign/scenario additions. They aren't called IAPs, but they don't function without the core game. The reason being:Someone will stick with one single, solid wargame for YEARS. Anyway, that's just how the genre works. Also, it's a niche market, prices are higher because the fanbase is both passionate and small.

3. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Haha yeah I just imagined to myself if they released this at 69p, imagine all the one star reviews saying to hard, crap graphics, wth?, and so on, :D at least the people who buy slitherine games know what they're getting for they're money.
    I'd have to say that battle academy was a huge surprise for me, I thought about it for ages before getting it and then regretted not getting it sooner. :rolleyes:

4. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    #64 iPadisGreat, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
    I think Panzer Corps is mainly selling to wargamers. I took a look at my App Store again and the IAP listed is the Give Me Everything IAP. The most bought IAP is listed on top of that list right?

To be fair, not all of Slitherine's games have been hits with me. I insta bought Slitherine's Legion and totally could not get into it, then skipped Great Battles Medieval. I think maybe I prefer World War II to the Acients period. Similarly could not really get into Hunted Cow's Civil War series and Ancient Battle: Rome...

I did buy almost every single expansion campaign for Battle Academy except for the newer ones. The only reason for that is that each battle seem to take longer than the Hunted Cow Tank Battle ones, which are about the length of time I typically play for... But then when I am in the mood for something longer and different, but not too different, Battle Academy is there, ready and waiting.

I think the developer announced that Gary Grisby's World at War is being ported over to iOS as well.

Waiting...

Attached Files:

5. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Are the cheat codes from the PC version in this iPad release as well? How do we enter them?

6. Arzy

Arzy Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2012
    thank you Slitherine, game looks awesome. I bought the entire thing because I love to support good devs bringing good games to iOS. Dont let forums trolls bother you, there are people who will pay for deep wargames. My $80 is yours!

7. Slitherine Iain

Slitherine Iain Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Thanks for the support guys - we've hit #1 in UK board games by value and currently at #88 in all apps by volume :)

8. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    Just spent my lunch break playing this. I'm now hungry as I forgot to eat.
    This game is fabulous on the iPad, the atmosphere is so immersive and the controls are perfect. I can see myself playing this for a LONG Time. Thank you slitherine for porting such a deep and complex game to the AppStore, I hope it's as successful as it deserves to be.

9. amos38

amos38 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Super stoked to get this on my iPad. The port from PC is excellent. Now I can play favorite wargame anywhere :)

10. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Tried out Panzer Corps on my iPad 2 running iOS 7.0.4. Works just as well as it did on my retina Mini. Only difference was that text in the briefing boxes looked a bit jagged.

Somehow, the tutorial missions seemed different. Is a different set of tutorials selected depending on whether the expansions are installed?

11. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Hmmm after thinking about this today I'm not sure if I'll pick this up:confused: I might just grab the expansions for BA instead, my reason being I already know and love BA but haven't picked up the extras but since I was willing to spend the money on this I can justify spending it instead on the BA IAP's. :D hope my ramblings make sense lol.

12. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Better to go with the tried and trusted than something new and unknown, is probably what you are thinking of.

A Battle Academy expansion is like $10, so for the price of Panzer Corps, you could net both the latest Rommel in Normandy and Fortress Metz expansions.

Panzer Corps does play somewhat similarly to Battle Academy though, in that surrounding an enemy unit gives the attacker benefits, but the whole thing plays out on the operational level, so issues like resupply, reformation of units, promotions and stuff are also part of this game. There is also the RPG angle going on where your core units follow you from battle to battle and depending on how well you do in a battle, you might get branched to an alternate scenario for your next battle, I think.

Personally, I prefer Battle Academy's straight forward approach, but at the same time, I am having fun with Panzer Corps too, albeit having to stomache its promotion and core units feature.

No need to buy the expansions. Just get Panzer Corps, and if you beat it, and want more, then get the IAPs. Each of the Corps games is a seperate game that was sold seperately on PC originally. Panzer Corps, Allied Corps, and Afrika Corps. Those are three games, just like Baulders Gate I and II are seperate games in the same universe.

13. Buklamang

Buklamang New Member

Nov 20, 2012
    Awesome! Instabuying!

14. sabre31

sabre31 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2012
    Finally and before Christmas thank you Slitherine. Just paid $20 and did instabuy for $60 All-in-iap. This is a real game and not those click fest IOS games.

Now please release Field of Glory ASAP what is the delay there? Also please show Android some love I have both platforms and would love to buy the games on both so no matter what device I am using I can pickup and play.

Merry Christmas to all.

15. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    #75 gmattergames, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
    Played through most of the SSI-General games, so I'm wanting this, but too many other (more affordable) games will be getting my game funds. I'm sure Slitherine has compelling justification to continue marketing their products at Triple-A price points, all of which, im sure has nothing to do with an overvaluation of their brand in the Appstore, but more-likely because their marketing research has shown them that somehow the "market" doesn't determine what price-point will generate the most revenue, they do. Sarcasm aside, I'm sure the insta-buy fanboys will have thoughts on my perspective, but it just seems like Slitherine is missing out on volume potential with their prohibitive pricing.

16. Farmer Harv

Farmer Harv Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2009
    This is an excellent example showing how one's ignorance and bias will never stop them from insulting a large number of people on an open forum.

Sarcasm aside, I'm sure calling people insta-buy fanboys will garner immediate support for your skewed position on Slitherine's App Store pricing model.

As the old saying goes...Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

17. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Slitherine: now give us Close Combat, please!
    By far my favorite RTS ever!

18. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Same game as the desktop version, often cheaper?

19. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    gee, nice of you to set the sarcasm aside for that last statement. :rolleyes:

20. sabre31

sabre31 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2012
    I don't get these people complaining about price. You drop some fat cash to Apple for their iPad or iPhone but yet you all moan and complain about a full priced game. If you bought this same game on PC it would be more money. You all need to remember this is a full fledged game and not some 99 cent game that you finish in an hour. You all comparing a 99 cent to this game is ike comparing apples and oranges. Why aren't you whining and complaining how expensive an iDevice is for what you get??