Universal Panthera Frontier (By Ayopa Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Jun 22, 2017.

1. JohnnyCoghlan

JohnnyCoghlan Well-Known Member

As an update to keep everyone informed, we literally just submitted a new update with the unique item IAPs removed and their contents instead inserted into the main game. We also fixed an isolated Game Center bug that was causing some people not to be able to play the game after starting up the app. We have asked for the review to be expedited by Apple, so fingers crossed the update will be live soon!

Cheers,
    Johnny

2. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    Woah! Awesome! What a developer... thanks

3. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I wanted to comment that real time combat and pausable real-time combat are very different things. It totally changes the dynamics and balancing. It's not as simple as just adding a pause into the game.

4. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    #84 skoptic, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    That's pretty crazy awesome response and turnaround.... I'm supporting that, just bought :)

The kind of pause I would want is a non functional one (i.e. A pause screen shows with no ability to interact with game) so I can quickly change a nappy, kiss someone's grazed knee or pretend to be a dinosaur...... and then crack on ;)

5. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I'm 100% on target for that change because you never know when you might need to pretend to be a dinosaur.

6. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Thank you very much, that's great news. We spoke, you listened, I purchased! Credit to you guys for taking that step, not all developers would do that.

Only 1hr in but enjoying it so far - although I agree with others that the localisation (ie English grammar) is a little off and spoils the atmosphere a touch; whilst the language used is largely correct, sentence structure is a little too formal and a bit rigid in places. Could do with being relaxed a bit - and perhaps avoiding the cheesy one liners and repetitive comments too?

Would also like to see more random events to make exploring a little more colourful - again, just feels a little too rigid/on rails at the moment.

Lastly, a pause button for issuing commands would be great but as an option perhaps, so it can be toggled on or off depending on how you want to play?

Thanks again for listening.

7. Kainamor

Kainamor Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2015
    You guys are great!!

8. blebhertz

blebhertz Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Was really really on the fence about making the purchase, but since because the dev was so responsive, I bought the game. Thanks for listening to us.

9. sleb

sleb Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Ohio
    I was also on the fence. But the dev is responding to complaints and also took out the iap. I just bought it. Have to support the good devs!

10. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    online only?

11. Kainamor

Dec 17, 2015
    Nah, only online requirement is to collect daily rewards.

12. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    ok, thank you sir.

13. Avaniar

Avaniar Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2016
    Nice to know the update is almost showing up. Will leave a similar review to what I wrote here, and will probably give 4 stars, which I feel correspond to my views already mentioned.
    Just a small thing regarding the pause and some comments I have read saying namely that the pause would ruin this and that. The pause is always an option. You can implement it always as an option without changing difficulties etc. It should be an option given to people who don't want the chaos of a real time battle. People who still want to fight real time, just don't pause. Simple as that.

14. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    OK, here's my game related comments after a day of playing:

Great game overall, I enjoy the graphics/sound/music and overall gameplay flow.

I am very glad they went premium with this, I can see where I might abandon this game after running into it's paywall otherwise. Five dollars is a decent price for the game, my IAP comments are in the other thread.

Lots of people have called this a mashup of Out There and FTL and... they're spot on! Overall this feels more like Out There to me, with the free-exploration. The daily missions and bounties give you even more to do besides the main storyline.

From Out There take away mining for resources and some of the Tetris-like component juggling, turn items into standard modules, move your hull repair to hangers, add stores and add FTL-like combat and you've got this game.

I really like the fact that you can proceed at your own pace, and the game works well for just playing a mission or two or an extended gameplay session.

Game runs fine on my iPhone 6 Plus, everything is readable and nothing feels cramped. Since you can't view both ships at the same time, I would highly recommend some sort of indicator (probably a circle with arrow pointing to horizontal position, but could be something else) indicating a crew member at less than 50% health or module down/on fire etc. as it is easy to get fixated on the enemy ship especially when cherry-picking targets and watching for them to uncloak.

IMHO the fact that FTL doesn't run on the iPhone almost makes this one a no-brainer purchase for FTL lovers who don't have an iPad. I welcome the more relaxed pace of the game, though I could see where some would prefer the more action oriented 'keep-moving-or-else' pace of FTL.

15. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Just as a mention - the tutorial says you should tap the ship info on the top right and bottom left of the screens to switch between ships during combat; does everyone also know you can simply swipe the screen and the ships switch round like they're on wheel! Nice touch.

16. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    You can just tap the other ship as well.

17. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Really? Thought I'd tried that but it didn't do anything? Maybe it's my sausage fingers - will give it a try again later. Thanks.

18. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Magnificent game ideal for all FTL lovers as me. To what Drelbs already said in his fantastic review a few posts before this one, I'll add that it's perfectly playable and readable on an iPhone SE, and it's a no-brainer if you like FTL.

Battles are kind of FTL-lite battles, but this "lite" factor is compensated with the absence of a pause button. Even though I think a pause-to-plan button would make battles way too easy, I also agree that the option should be given to those who want to play at a slower pace.

Btw, for all the IAP-haters, IAP-lovers and everybody else, the update is live :)

19. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    I want to echo appreciations to the dev for the changes and I am buying this now—I also agree on the pause button being necessary for all the real world events that happen, but don't want it to change the dynamic of the game so make it an effective freeeze and not an exploratory pause.

20. Kainamor

Dec 17, 2015
    I can understand the want for a pause/freeze type addition to the game. I am just wondering if the deva considered it but the game was meant to be played like this. There is a learning curve for adapting to this style of combat. It's unique but I think I've picked it up and am really enjoying it this way now. I don't know, just sorta thinking out loud in the forum.