Universal Panthera Frontier (By Ayopa Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Jun 22, 2017.

1. matyou98

matyou98 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2012
    I have a 7+ and it works fine. Have played several missions.

2. BaronMunchausen

BaronMunchausen Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2017
    Thanks, matyou.

3. JohnnyCoghlan

JohnnyCoghlan Well-Known Member

#63 JohnnyCoghlan, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    Hi Tubatic, sorry for this issue! We have submitted an update that fixes the bug and have asked for expedited review by Apple.

For now though, [email protected] gives the following solution:
    1. Leave the game and fully exit the app (by double-tapping your home button and swiping the Panthera Frontier app up off the screen).
    2. Go to your iPhone/iPad Settings, and log out of Game Center.
    3. Start up the game again, without signing into Game Center.
    If you have any other problems, please contact [email protected] and we can make sure we get the game working on your specific device. As we said in response to your App Store review, we are imminently going to release an update solving this issue entirely. Thanks! :)

4. Kainamor

Kainamor Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2015
    Hey I am enjoying the game as much as you. You mentioned to make the duration shorter to events. For me if that happened I think I would loose a lot of them. Basically a lot of those events are challenging and I enjoy being able to grind out some smaller regular beacon events before I get to them so I have a more powerful ship before I get to them. Does that make sense or am I misunderstanding you?

5. BC1377

BC1377 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Nononono, i too want a lot lots of events , it will make the game truly endless adventures, what i want to be shorter is the scene duration time from each event when your female crew inform you about what is the event you currently encounter xD

6. Kainamor

Dec 17, 2015
    Oh yeah, I can get behind that. With it happening every event it becomes a little much.

7. Xcxc

Xcxc Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2017
    not too fond of the banter too with the enemy + your cat assistant.

also what's the priority in targeting rooms?
    I'm in just about under an hour of gameplay and don't see much of a difference on which room I target

8. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    Played on ipad pro 12.9 for an hour and having a blast with it
    It's like easier ftl with wacky animals
    Loved it ####

Maybe with more mission variety and event this game will be a perfect game
    And resolution on my ipad is not hi res but that's just nitpicking

9. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks for considering this! Maybe hardcore mode == no pause?

Fwiw, I do recognize the overall combat pace is slightly slower than FTL, and simplified at that so you've obviously balanced the game. I'd hate to gamebreak what's essentially now a time management game in the style of FTL when it's not really the same game in a lot of ways. I'm mostly finding it tricky to reconcile with my fumble fingers, especially when I've got two people in a room and need to only send one to sick bay or another station.

If I had one very minor suggestion, though--if my navigator had said "nobody's here... Oops, looks like I'm wrong!" before battle one more time in a row, I was going to scuttle the ship myself. Adding *way* more "destination status" messages, maybe some variant animations, and making sure they can't fail the PRNG and repeat too much would go a long way towards not blowing immersion.

10. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #70 VirtualBoyFreak, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    Mmm, daily rewards usually need internet just to check the phone clock hasn't been tampered with. I don't see how they could be claimed without checking this online.

11. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

So I took the plunge. It’s very similar to FTL, but with the allowance of much more exploration. I love the sprite animation, and while the gameplay can get insanely and frustratingly hectic (I really do hope a pause, or at least a slow down of time) is implemented to help with that. I’m sure it could be created as an “easy” mode, I think for an old fart like me, it would allow me to enjoy the game even more.

The aesthetics of the main game and sprites are just fantastic. I like the choice of buttons, I know that sounds silly but it’s true. I’m really loving the game and looking forward to exploring it more.

That said it’s not perfect. There is the issue that shall not be named and while it isn’t necessary it feels a little odd.

But that’s minor honestly. The bigger issue is the writing. I presume the person behind the dialogue isn’t a native English speaker. It shows in the way the dialogue is presented, little things like “Can I get paid” or “Important News” as a mission title. It’s more in context and in a broad sense. Think a Sunday Kung fu movie dub. It’s a bit distracting and combining that with the odd switch of art styles, it definitely is pulling me really far out of the story. I would much prefer to keep them as sprites, I think a metal gear (nes style) communication and speech bubbles through the sprites would have really enhanced the charm of the interactions.

I don’t expect the interstial art will change, but I think reworking the text would go a very long way to making a game with excellent action into one with a more engaging story.

As I’m in Canada, it ran me $7. Is it worth it? I think maybe. I’m on the fence. There’s a decent amount of dialogue and because it just sounds a bit odd, I tend to want to avoid it. I don’t even know if it’s necessary here, it isn’t in FTL. If the dialogue can be touched up, however, I think I would enjoy getting engaged in the story rather than just loving the gameplay.

Another thing, and maybe this was the case with FTL, but it’s a bit much to juggle everything and also have to reassign where shots are. It can also be a bit disorienting to figure out what the damage levels are at in the various rooms. I presume this is down to me playing on my phone versus a tablet, but it would be nice to have clearer indications, they seem to get hidden.

Maybe also a flashing icon when a crew member is close to death? Something I can more easily see if I’m busy figuring out where to hit.

12. Kainamor

Dec 17, 2015
    Prioritizing which rooms to hit is very important. If their weapons aren't doing to much damage take out their shields so all of you damage goes to the hull. If their doing damage to you(getting through shields) take out their weapon rooms so they can't fire shots. Are they repairing to quick? Take out their med room and focus shots on crew so they will die

13. TheGribble

TheGribble Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Absolutely loving this game - in an ideal world I'd love more random events and the five second delay between jumping into a system and the message to tell you what's going on there is really irritating but I'm having a great time.

I was all for the pause button idea when I started out but I'm not so sure now - the hectic panic when you're targeting manually to avoid cloaking but you know something on your own ship is on fire is exciting and I'm concerned the game would seem too simplistic with all the time in the world to stop and consider it, this is not as involved as FTL in terms of the number of things you can do at any given moment. Not a criticism but this isn't FTL and I think trying to turn it into it might be a mistake.

14. Xcxc

Xcxc Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2017
    didn't have a chance to play again, but if I explore an area/planet and already cleared it of pirates, once I explore back, is it possible the pirates spawn again?

15. GalDrogo

GalDrogo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Ingame economy and prices definately needs tweaking. At its current state this doesnt feel premium. Also, crew exp should be looked at.

16. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    Prices isnfine for me
    But crew exp does need to be tweaked
    Coz right now it feels like a grind

17. Kainamor

Dec 17, 2015
    I've been thinking the crew exp is very similar to FTL were it's basically just a side benefit. Your only going to get each crew exp on one position. So this crew is weapons, this one shields, and so on. Which makes a lot more sense for a game like this than having a fully maxed out crew member. Just another aspect of strategy and depth.

18. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    First congratulations to the developers and thanks for making the IAP change. I normally stay far far away from any games with IAP so Hearing my you make the change sitnds great. I didn't follow the TA thread and know that the IAP issues was so debated...???

My main concern is the speed of the game as a few had mentioned the idea of either pausing or some other ability to make the game flow well but also not feel frantic. A fine line of turn based strategy vs real time... I'm 43 and enjoy more turn based strategy games on touch screen devices.

Good luck and thanks for being active on the TA Forum!

19. jackiemac

jackiemac Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 19, 2009
    Show the dev some review love

Hello fellow Panthera-Frontierians! I bought this game this morning and noticed they only have a couple of poor reviews on the app store. If you're enjoying this game as much as I do and appreciate the dev's efforts, may I suggest you head over to the app store and give them a review. :)

Thanks devs! Awesome game!

20. JohnnyCoghlan

JohnnyCoghlan Well-Known Member

Thanks jackiemac that is very kind! One of the reviews we received was a complaint that we ask people to review the game! ;) But yes if you guys could leave positive reviews on the App Store that would be hugely appreciated, I know the developers value and appreciate each and every one! :)