Universal Panthera Frontier (By Ayopa Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Avaniar

Avaniar Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2016
    Hey guys, I made this really big review/post earlier today but i am only now ending it, so bear with me the snall complaints about IAP.
    I will give my five cents here (which might seem more like 50 if this gets too long lol).
    So i didn't ask or get a code because the game looked very good and felt that devs should get my support. Is it?
    Short answer is yes, but hope it gets some fixes, before it is a solid yes.
    This is indeed very close to FTL. I would also mildly compare it to Out There, but there are essential differences like no fuel worries, lots of combat, not many "events".
    I love the graphics. They are done with lots of care and look very very thematic. What you see on the videos is what you get.
    On controls and gameplay, I say if you like FTL you will like this. Major difference as people have pointed is there is no pause.
    So basically you traverse the universe fulfilling missions and moving the story along, hoping from "?" Planet to "?" Planet finding out what they are.
    I have played about 2 hours and it is mostly combat, with little to no other events.
    When you meet an enemy both ships are show side to side and you have to assign cats to rooms for atk, def, syst, etc.
    You then fire or auto fire at specific rooms of the enemy until either you or the enemy is destroyed.
    You have shops where you can get upgrades and new recruits and hangars where you can rest and repair the hull.
    Storywise the game seems nice. Th basic wolfs are invading cat space and cats need to shoo them. But there are also pirates and rebels (because face it, cats don't play well with others like dogs do...), and they put a nice spin on things.
    As for audio, it is nice but i mostly play my games muted on the bus or in bed at night, so not very relevant for me.
    Lastly regarding IAP and premium game controversy (whivh will lead me to the last point which are conplaints and improvement points).
    There are IAP basically to get new special characters, weapons and improvements. It is nothing you cannot get on your own, but I think you will take dozens and dozens of hours to actually get them like that. Meaning they are not essential, but neither are they just cosmetic, which bugs me a bit because it starts to feel grindy.
    I must say I don't like this system, but I understand this is a halfway compromise model. For me it just feels like a free game with IAP but with an entry pricetag.
    Ok so that is my girst complaint about this game,but there I don't even suggest changing. It is your price model, so stick with it.
    Where I would suggest changing are the following complaints.
    Game feels a bit grindy to get the crew to level up. I think it should be faster. I mean i have played for 2 hours and made a ton of service(missions) still they are the same old newbie cats, just with a better ship. My suggestion is just get the xp speedier to get, getting the cats' bars filled faster. This for me is not tied to the IAP, so I don't think it would be problematic to change this.
    Second complaint I have is that there aren't many non-combat events, and I think the game would benefit a lot if it wasn't 90% combat.
    I wanted to have more of an adventure feel from the game, travelling the starts, finding new treasures and cultures.
    Another thing is the inability to know before hand if an encounter will be too tough for you or not. I think you should be able to avoid encounters with some kind of penalty (can't offer a real opinion here but maybe half the money that a defeat would cost you, because you would escape just with some damage). However, mind you that I still have not seen if there is an escape/retreat button (i believe so but have not tried it).
    The pause would be important.
    Otherwise I think this is an awesome game.
    Final word updated thanks to the devs for listening to the rants, that means a lot to the gamers. Please also listen to my suggestions :) thank you

2. Avaniar

Avaniar Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2016
    Please don't move meeee

Lol I just posted after this and didn't see ut, but my post was more a review than anything else. If you feel that the IAP part is intrusive,please let me know and i will edit it to delete those parts :)

3. JohnnyCoghlan

JohnnyCoghlan Well-Known Member

Hey all - just another update on possible new features - we are internally discussing a pause option for combat, and we'll update you once we have decided on whether it is possible and whether it would benefit the overall game! :)

4. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    You're fine. Good post, lots of info. Hoping we can move on from the IAP stuff from now on.

5. JohnnyCoghlan

#45 JohnnyCoghlan, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Great review [member=423614]Avaniar[/member], many thanks! We will absorb it all and consider whatever we can do to further make the game awesome!

6. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Clearly it was on topic, as being relevant to a lot of people making a buying decision in this discussion, AND having influenced the dev to make a change. So I don't get the snide dismissal of people's thoughtful comments in this thread on both sides.

Anyway, thanks dev! I am absolutely buying this game to show my support for your responsiveness (and because it looks like a great game!) even though my backlog continues to grow... Haha.

7. JackDerp

JackDerp Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2015
    Anyone that can answer this question?

8. VisibleDucts

VisibleDucts Active Member

Dec 26, 2014
    I plan on buying this game asap. I was sold on it pretty quickly.

The one thing that I'm worried about is the lack of pause. But this is mostly because I'm more into strategic style of play over potentially hectic think fast styles. But this worry isn't enough to prevent me from buying. I just wouldn't be sad if pause did end up getting added ^^.

9. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Just bought and own an SE. As soon as I have a second I'll let you know, since I still have to try it.

10. JohnnyCoghlan

Valid suggestion JackDerp, we will evaluate this as it could be fun! We would need to make sure it works regarding the interface since Panthera Frontier's perspective is different to FTL but it's absolutely something we are adding to the list of possible new features! :)

11. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    For me it plays perfect, small in size but perfect in responsiveness. I've played the tutorial battles and I've had zero issues with the interface, all the clicks were recorded correctly and chose the character/weapon/menu button I was aiming for. It's small because it's an SE, but IMO it's perfectly playable. I'm 39 and can read the texts well :p I attach you a screenshot so you can see by yourself the size.

Attached Files:

12. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    Thanks, I'll give it a go then!

13. hellscaretaker

hellscaretaker Well-Known Member

May 27, 2012
    Im a youtube gamer/streamer
    hmm that link takes back to the start of the same thread and not the ones that been moved unless im blind

14. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Fixed it, thanks.

15. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    The lack of pause is all that is holding me back.
    I appreciate that you guys are listening to the posts here and have acted upon the iap suggestion.
    I have subscribed to this thread simply to keep an eye on the possible pause option being implemented.

16. BaronMunchausen

BaronMunchausen Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2017
    Does this game run on iPhone 7? I just read a review on the AppStore that says it doesn't...

17. BC1377

BC1377 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2016
    This game rocks !!! 3 hours into the game and still it's very entertaining xD the encounters with rebel and wolf empire and then blowing them up to space high xD it's fun, i feel like i'm the captain of the starship and actually in it xD buy still there's something brothers me, when you want to claim daily reward you must connect to the internet, could you please change it so we can still claim it even we're playing offline? And one other thing, when you're entering a path there always will be a scene from the crew reporting about what event are available in the path, my problem is the duration time before the scene appear is a bit long, can you make it faster? Sorry if my english is not good xD and yes, if you play FTL, REDCON, STARSHIP COMMAND, you definitely must buy Panthera Frontier, it will rock your day xD

18. Tubatic

Tubatic Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Hey bought this for iPhone 6s, running 10.2 and it doesn't startup all the way. I get the first screen, then the notification allow pop up, then it just stays on a black screen.

What's up? Please fix.

19. Xcxc

Xcxc Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2017
    +1 to both points

Allow rewards to be accessed offline. And option to make the crew report faster or maybe just make it text withouth the animation?

20. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I wanted to say thank you to the devs for hearing our feedback and concerns. I'm back in board and will purchase this game. :)