Universal Pang Adventures (by DotEmu)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by asaw2, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    #21 Qwertz555, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    Having crying eyes because of this game's beautiful nostalgia is one thing (oh holy arcade hall days), but having such an amazing revamped version in my pockets now...thanks DotEmu!

I don't see any sign of MFI support, but i admit, this would be the first game i'd like to have a joystick in my left hand. Not that the good controls lack responsiveness or so, no, it's the rhythmic joystick's clicking sounds (click-move-shot-click-move-shot-click...mostly older folks might remember what i'm trying) that helped to navigate through the smallest and low jumping balloons. They don't get that small anymore in this version.

If this turns out to get even better after my first boss fight (concerning new weapons, layouts, etc.) it's gonna be a clear GOTY contender for me.

Gosh, i've sank hundreds of dollars (swiss franks, one game one frank) in the machine. Now think about $3...

Lol, Sanuku, i was in the same boat at first, until the mechanic clicked with me. You stand still when you shoot, and this little moment was disastrous. That's what i described above with the helping joystick sounds.

2. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I just bought this based on you guys positive comments/reviews. I've never played an official Pang or Buster Bros. game, but I did play a few knock off versions in the AppStore's early days.

3. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Maybe a bit too late info, rich_, but all levels have a time limit. I'm by far not a fan of this system at all in generell, but...it's Pang!
    While i blast through some levels with ease and maximum score (my experiences help), some require a careful setup of approach to 3-star the levels. Very challenging stuff.

Yeah, i remember the last original Pang version on ios, but it had an energy system. A clear no-fun and no-go for this game, in my books.

4. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Thanks for the response. The time limit fits perfectly for this type of challenging high score based game. I'm REALLY digging this and recommend all interested TAers give up your $3 and get your Pang on!

5. 9lives1968

9lives1968 Member

Mar 23, 2015
    Never played as well but downloading based on everyone's reaction to the game

6. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    Great start to the week. I never played the original, but really enjoying this.

7. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    Never heard of this but bought it based on comments here. As usual, I am not disappointed, but like some others who commented, I really do suck at this! But I don't mind a bit...

8. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Takes some getting used to as I was dying a lot but things started to click.

Great stuff and I never even had played the original games.

Now if DotEmu can just get Titan Quest out, it would make my week complete. :)

9. touchy85

touchy85 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2015
  10. yasasnirmana@gmail.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2014
    YouTuber
  11. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Not on AppStore Japan.... Why is that?

12. LukeT

LukeT Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2012
    Game is bugged in my iPad, its in portuguese, all the text shows str_play, str_options...

13. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Okay, sold.

Since I have no MFi controller around, I cannot check if it is supported. Anyway, it is DotEMU, have a little faith in that department...

No problem so far on my iPad Mini 2 using latest iOS

14. JohnnyClash

JohnnyClash Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016
    #34 JohnnyClash, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    Currently in World 3, with two bosses down, 3 staring most of it..

There is something off-putting about the controls.. They are somehow a bit tiring, and just don't have that 'crisp-n-tight' feel to them.

To the games credit, it really is more then 'just-popping-bubbles'.. To be successful, you will need to look at the game from an action-puzzle-based point of view.. There is a bit of strategy in deciding what to pop and when, what barriers to break, what weapons to pick up (if at all), and what power ups to use, etc..

15. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    I'd bet it's a licensing issue. Pang has a very complicated legal history. Very, very complicated.

16. Rawk GWJ

Rawk GWJ Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2014
    I remember this game! One time I was at the mall in the Sears arcade and I was playing this and one of my friends came up to me and said that EZ-E was in the arcade with 2 giant bodyguards and I was like "pshsh! Yeah! Good one!" And I kept on playing the game 'cause I was super into it but I ran out of quarters so I turned around and there was this adult who was shorter than me and I was only 15 and he was playing Street Fighter against this giant dude while this other giant dude watched. Oh yeah and that was the day that the government was spraying a toxic pesticide over the entire city of Compton, city of Compton.

17. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Thank you for the info, I'll try to get it from the AppStore Taiwan then

18. Devok

Devok Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2013
    #38 Devok, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    Ported from ps4? Looks nothing like ps4 version, better to play it on a console.

19. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    How does this look nothing like the console versions? It's exactly the same, just missing the multiplayer aspect.

20. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Aside from the lack of a two-player mode, this is gameplay-identical to the console version. I mean, if you prefer to play this kind of game on your TV, more power to you, but the mobile version is quite good.