iPhone Pandemic: The Board Game - (by F2Z Digital Media Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Appletini, Oct 3, 2013.

1. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Pandemic: The Board Game is unavailable in my App Store too.

After their hard sell of 23.2MB installed size. Which turned it into an instadownload for me...

2. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

What the fudge?

I might be able to help out there, I'll PM you :)

3. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I didn't know you were a Kiwi. I used to live in Wellington. What a great country. :)

4. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Not great enough for you to stick around, apparently. :D

5. cofunguy

cofunguy Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Plus the fact that eradicate is cheaper and the main issue is pandemic can't be played online dimmed any hopes of purchasing pandemic. Sorry z-man, but not including this aspect probably won't sell that many to a game that is meant for online play.

6. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I'm sorry, but I can't see how a cooperative game is "meant for online play". I understand that many people clamor for online play (it happens to mean nothing to me), but in a purely cooperative/solo game like this I don't see it as "meant for online play". Now as for not being in certain app stores, that just seems like questionable business decision making.

7. Happybyte

Happybyte Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    Oh, why it's iPad only? I'd give it a try on iPhone.

8. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I was wondering that too. Does it really make sense for online play in a cooperative play game?

9. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    This was after an email explaining the tax reasoning, so all is not lost. They're very nice people to deal with, seems to be more an accounting issue that they'll hopefully resolve.

10. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Mm-hmm, the situation is explained in more detail towards the end of this thread over on BGG; the developers became a bit more vocal after a couple of us prodded for further information.

11. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #31 LordGek, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
    Exactly. Most of the time a game of this nature, especially on some mobile device will be played by a single individual playing all roles, and if one of the rare time other people are involved, you still need face to face interaction to discuss your strategies ("If you take care of Africa maybe I can clean up that mess in Canada.").

So no stat tracking I assume?

12. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Nope.

13. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    You are correct, LG, and that IS something that is really missing. For the very same reasons why it doesn't need online (it's a solo/coop game), it really could use detailed stat tracking. It just seems like an obvious choice here. That being said, I wouldn't think that would be a huge difficulty to implement, so hopefully the devs will consider that. Even without the stat tracking, I really enjoy how they've handled the conversion. It's pretty slick. With the great app translations of this and Forbidden Island, I'm hoping for a version of the new board game Foridden Desert from the same designer.

14. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    I was talking to Button Mash when Forbidden Desert first came out, and they said that the plan was to create an iOS version of FD in the same vein as their Forbidden Island app, but that it wouldn't be happening for quite a while yet.

15. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Good to know! Thanks.

16. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Cannot understand why this game is not in HK store either, I am getting DM Draw instead...Since I realize I would be playing with myself with this, I put this on hold even though I have a US account (with credit in it, i.e.).

17. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    The developers stated earlier today that they originally limited the release to certain countries because of Apple's policies regarding taxes, but in response to public feedback expressing doubt over this they noted that they're looking into the possibility of getting the game out to the rest of the world.

18. soundshaper

soundshaper Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2013
    It is disappointing that that it's not available in the Hong Kong iTunes Store !? I don't see what this has got to do with taxes cos HK is a tax free port, there is not VAT? We are not all lucky enough to have an American credit card to have an American iTunes account :( I would really like to play this game, hopefully the developper will do something about this soon enough!?!?

19. biokid

biokid Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Wop Wops
    Available in Australian appstore, but not available in Thailand nor NZ.

20. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    The above is actually one of the specific points raised with the developers; they're looking into the situation now.