Universal Paint it Back - Picross with a Purpose

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by CasualLabs, Oct 16, 2013.

1. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    #101 tops2, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
    Awesome game. This is the first iOS picross game where the controls feels natural to me. Switching marking and crossing out blocks work as expected. Zooming in and out is natural. The puzzles I've worked through doesn't require any guessing. The overall polish of the game is professional and has a lot of charm. There's a lot of puzzles. Overall, the 2.99 is such a steal for this game! Thanks!

The only suggestion for me is for the touch mode, if there can be a one level undo/redo button that toggles between undo and redo. The idea is to allow undo for all blocks that has been marked/crossed out for one continuous touch. Especially, on the iPod touch, sometimes I'll accidentally mark wrong blocks when keeping my finger on the screen to mark multiple blocks. Having one button that toggles between undo/redo allows the user to double check the last marking to is if it's correct. Anyways, just throwing one nitpicky idea out there.

This game makes me want to pick up a stylus though. Lol. I really loved Nintendo Picross on the DS. This game gives me the same feeling. The only other iOS picross game I really enjoyed is Oh Cubes (even though it's a "3d" picross).

2. Breinstein

Breinstein Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Just finished damsel in distress and maybe it is just me , but that's where the difficulty ramps up. Still did not need to guess but it took a lot more time than the previous paintings.

3. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    I was about to say the same thing about another painting but I shan't say which one! :D

4. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I miss a undo button. Sometimes I touch the screen by accident and screw the painting up.

5. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    I'm really struggling with the zoom function and touch control on the larger pro paintings. On the touch I'm finding the controls really fiddly.... Up until this point I was loving it and ready to buy the full thing but I just can't get into it now. Might have to wait till I get an iPad to pick up the full version. It's a great pictross style game tho

6. CasualLabs

CasualLabs Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Try out the 'virtual gamepad' mode from the options screen. I prefer that for playing large paintings on the iPhone/iTouch.

7. CasualLabs

Sep 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    St. Louis, Missouri

I've got an update waiting to be reviewed at Apple that fixes this. Thanks for the heads up.

8. OrangeJews

OrangeJews Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2013
    It might not be obvious from the get-go, but if you put your finger on a box and just hold it there, it starts filling in the boxes. From there, it's quite simple, especially since the numbers still show up in the corner.

9. Honki

Honki Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Minor interface issue: the stats on the pause screen during a glory puzzle are slightly obscured by the sound volume bars. (Ipad version)

Attached Files:

10. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Another nice review for Paint it Back, by Arcade Sushi.

"Ultimately, Paint It Back is a traditional, brain-teasing puzzler that most people can enjoy. It’s simple enough that even children can figure it out on the lowest levels, but can be varied and expanded upon to the point where you need a genius to solve it.

Given that this was primarily a solo effort by a single developer, my admiration for Edward Brown’s ingenuity and cleverness for making such a solid, yet simple puzzle game expands, much like the canvases in Paint It Back."

8/10

Full review is here.

11. indalico

indalico Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    ohio
    I've found that works best on my ipod. I didn't care for the zoomed screen and made more mistakes there.

I think this would play much better on an ipad, which I will be getting very soon. I'm keeping this app on my device.

12. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I wish painted squares were numbered. I hate to count them all the time.

13. CasualLabs

Sep 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Ah, I forgot about positioning the volume controls in the Mystery Masterpiece menu. Will fix. Thanks for that.

14. Bewi

Bewi Well-Known Member

iCloud Problem

Hi,

I still have the iCloud problem. I have tried to delete the game both on my iPad and my iPhone. Then I started the game again on my iPad and saved to iCloud. When I start the game on my iPhone, even several hours later, it does not pop up the iCloud recovery window.

But if I delete the game on my iPad and I install it again, when I start it, it tells me I have an iCloud save that I can continue.

The iCloud save is working on the same device, but not cross device. What am I doing wrong ?

EDIT : Oh, I bought the game anyway. Even by playing only on my iPad, it is great. I only wanted to be able to play on iPhone while going to work and continue at home on my iPad.

15. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Congratulations on the well deserved 4.5 star review from TA!

16. CasualLabs

Sep 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    St. Louis, Missouri
    #116 CasualLabs, Oct 21, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013

Make sure both devices have iCloud turned on and are using the same iCloud account. Here's a way to check if it's working - get on one device (let's say your iPad), hit 'change player' from the main menu and create and new character (named, let's say, 'Pablo'). Skip the intro stuff and make your way back to the main menu. Go to options and touch 'save to iCloud.' Wait about 20 seconds or so and then get on your iPhone and run PiB. Go to options and you should able to touch 'load from iCloud' and it should say 'Pablo' under the load button.

I'm not sure what you meant when you said "The iCloud save is working on the same device."

17. CasualLabs

Sep 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    St. Louis, Missouri
    #117 CasualLabs, Oct 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2013
    If this really works, :(

[redacted]

18. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    That's disgusting. You really shouldn't post that here, though.

19. CasualLabs

Sep 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Shows up in Google when you search for "paint it back." Not like it's hiding.

Maybe somebody knows something about how to deal with such sites?

20. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Could someone please explain to me what`s wrong?! (Tried it both with Google Chrome/Firefox)