Universal Paint it Back - Picross with a Purpose

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by CasualLabs, Oct 16, 2013.

1. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    One row & 1 column that need x's. The bottom row and the column going down (I think it was column 7).

I am done with the game since I don't buy anything through IAP, but I have a hard time believing any puzzle in it will require actual guessing unless it is very large and has very small runs of colored in squares in every row/column.

2. Honki

Honki Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2011
    ha! Thanks, I didn't know that lines without a number can be considered empty. damn, life would have been a lote easier :)

3. Breinstein

Breinstein Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2012
    The Netherlands
    That was what I was trying to say. English is not my native language and could not quite get the solution across that I had in mind. You are right about the not guessing part , haven't come across any puzzle that needed guessing.

4. CasualLabs

CasualLabs Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    St. Louis, Missouri
    ***SPOILER ALERT***

Be wary of watching that previous video - it plays through all of the free levels and you can see the finished paintings, which kinda spoils those levels.

5. Geertyy

Geertyy Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2013
    Does anybody know how big the puzzles get and how difficult the IAP content is? The free levels were too small and easy for me.

6. Snotty128

Snotty128 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2013
    I think the biggest ones on my ipad are 20x20. There are some puzzles that are bigger but they are split up into several smaller puzzles. By the end of the 3rd area, the nature of things, the puzzles are up to 16x20 and the first 20x20 is in the next chapter after that

7. CasualLabs

Sep 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Ya there's many paintings of differing sizes greater than 20x20 like 40x30, 24x32, 30x30, 30x40, etc., but 20x20 is the maximum grid size you can play at, so those big paintings need to be split up into smaller sections. A 40x30 painting plays as four separate 20x15 puzzles on pro. On normal it plays as twelve 10x10 puzzles.

8. Honki

Honki Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Man, for anyone still on the fence about unlocking the whole game: just do it! There is a huge amount of content, and even when you have solved every puzzle, there are some cool achievements to hunt :)
    This is a winner.

9. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I've just finished the third room and unlocked the whole game. It's such a nice, creative and enjoyable game, I'm glad to support it.

10. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    You don't buy any IAP? o_O a bit extreme, wouldn't you say?

But this reminds me of the hard puzzles in Picross that actually require guessing and the trial-n-error method to solve them. Wonder if this kind will be added later in Paint it back too? :D

11. Andrey1610

Andrey1610 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    CasualLabs

Hi!
    First - thanks for this great game!

Second - I have feature request. Why you splitted puzzle in pro mode in 2-4 parts? For example: chapter : "Having a bad day", painting "The children escaped..." in pro mode I have TWO parts of painting. Why? I am expert, I solving this kind of puzzle (in newspapers) from 12 years (now I am 26). I want CHALLENGES. Give me please full sized picture without splitting. Even if picture will have size 250x250.

Thank you for attention :)

12. Honki

Honki Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2011
    I guess those huge grid sizes would be horrendously impractical even on an iPad.

13. TomekSzymek

TomekSzymek Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I'd say you should buy at least next 3 parts. I mean the 1$ IAP.
    The game is not extremely hard but it gets really fun when you're finishing a 40x24 puzzle.

14. Andrey1610

Andrey1610 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    But game have a zooming function ;)

Every painting with grid up to 35x35 or 40x40 will be perfect fitted on iphone screen. Very strange why 30x30 picture splitted and 30x15 not.

15. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    #96 iPadisGreat, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
    Downloading...

Download size: 48MB
    Installed size: 53.1MB

Paint it Back reminds me of the Piczle Lines and Pathpix games which I enjoyed on my iPhone...

16. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Very easy free missions. Completed in a few minutes and bought the IAP unlock.

If developer is reading this, your unlock screen could be costing you sales. Here is why. It shows $2.99 to unlock, but when your international customer clicks it, the App Store prompt pops up a higher price asking the buyer to confirm his purchase. This is due to App Store pricing being in local currencies and your IAP purchase screen showing it in USD. Some potential buyers might feel ripped off and abort their purchases at that point...

17. CasualLabs

Sep 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    St. Louis, Missouri

I didn't want the iPad version to ever have to zoom in because zooming adds a few steps to the interaction detracts from the experience, so I didn't enable that for the iPad. 20x20 on the iPad used a gridcel size with a reasonable touchable area but at larger than 20x20 the touchable area was getting too small.

A 30x15 picture would be split up, but I don't believe one of those sizes is in the game.

18. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Nudging doesn't change my mind on IAP. It's not about the gambling side of it or whatever it's the old gamer side of my brain that likes to see what I have purchase atleast as a backup file on my PC. If the dev ever goes under then there's possibly no way to recover an IAP purchase. A comple game however I can reinstall from iTunes if I have it backed up (which I have most games backed up, some with several versions). Not all games even pulled from the store by an active dev remain in the purchase history for download. I'd rather just buy a game, it be complete and go from there. That's also why I'm not one of the people that typically nag a dev for content updates. As long as the game works, I don't really need it to be updated. Just make another game and I'll buy that if it interest me.

As it is though, the sample while good didn't really give me the impression that I'd find the game very challenging. So even in an alternate universe where I buy stuff through IAP, I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy it and I have thousands of apps on my iTunes account anyway.

19. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Congrats on the very positive review by 148 apps.

"This whimsical puzzler is a gem for all ages."

4.5/5