Universal Paint it Back - Picross with a Purpose

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by CasualLabs, Oct 16, 2013.

1. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    I've found no errors after the portrait stage

2. TRB4

TRB4 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    I too have found no errors. There have been a few times when I have "painted myself into a corner" (pun intended), and ended up with some row combinations that just don't seem possible, but after restarting the level and trying again, I pass it. So it was probably a mistake that I made much earlier that messed me up at the end. So far I have not solved a puzzle that did not match all of the clues given.

3. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    That was an interesting read. Thanks for the link. It makes sense to release a lite/shareware version of games.

I don't understand though why more devs don't just do both. It's clear the dev sees there are two markets here and even he's in the premium market. He wrestled back and fourth about being free with IAP or being a premium game. When there are such good arguements for each side, why not do both?

It costs a couple lines of code difference and $0 more to publish a second "Premium" version of a game. Star Traders RPG for instance. When that released it looked interesting and was free with an IAP unlock. It was the devs first game on iOS and they thought it was the best way to reach the largest possible audience. I, and others, asked them to consider releasing a no-IAP premium version of the game, and they did. I don't know how much they made from it but I know they made more from having two versions than having just the one (and yes I bought it as soon as it was released).

In any event, I am downloading Paint it Black right now. I have yet to buy anything through IAP and this game isn't going to change that. Still, I might as well check it out in case this dev opts to throw another couple lines of code down and publish a second Premium/Elite version.

4. Breinstein

Breinstein Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I also did not encounter any errors / faults after the portrait stage. I just completed the nature of things and there is no error in any of the paintings in that stage. The only errors I encountered were the ones I made myself. So the person in the AppStore probably made mistakes himself/ herself and is blaming the app.

5. Ginger Yellow

Ginger Yellow Member

Sep 29, 2009
    At this stage I'm still attributing it to user error, but I'm beginning to wonder about "What's that Hissing Sound". I've attempted it four times now and each time I've run into inconsistencies that I haven't been able to resolve by manually undoing the last moves I can remember. It's quite easy to accidentally fill in or block out an extra square, so I suspect it's my fault.

On that front, I only have a few suggestions on how to improve the game, but one would be that if the "fill in line" mode is engaged after holding down your finger, it should lock placement to that particular line until the finger is removed.

Other suggestions:

A proper undo button, as suggested by others. It doesn't have to be fancy - anything that lets you go back step by step, rather than starting from scratch, would be very helpful

The square-of-squares sizes need to be standardised. I don't mind so much if it changes from 4x4 to 5x5 for different pictures, though I'd prefer a standard 5x5 grid, but the 4x5 ones are just too confusing.

It would be nice if the numbers grayed out when they're mathematically solved, not just when they're connected to the edge by moves (eg a 6 would gray out when you've located all six squares and there's no other numbers to find until one edge, but you haven't yet blocked out all those squares.

6. TRB4

TRB4 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    That would make it IMPOSSIBLE to get the achievements for finishing the "Quick Fix" puzzles without lifting your finger.

7. TRB4

TRB4 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Wow, I just finished "Keep Both Hands On the Wheel" on Pro, boy that was the hardest puzzle so far.

Anyone looking for a challenge definitely give that on a go. It is in the Good Advice room. You NEED to know a lot of advanced Picross strategy in order to even deduce places to start the puzzle. Good luck!

8. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    It's not just that simple. Splitting into two versions means you have to maintain two separate versions of the app as well as split your download numbers between the two. Not to mention try and compete on two completely different charts. When one of the key hurdles to iOS development is visibility, this is a huge, huge problem.

There are so many downsides to doing a second version like that, and the number of people like yourself who stubbornly refuse to buy IAP in any way shape or form is such the extreme minority that I can't possibly imagine that it would be in the best interest for the developer in the end.

I've said this to you before, but your stubbornness against IAP unlocks means you are missing out on a lot of awesome games.

9. CasualLabs

CasualLabs Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Plus Apple is encouraging devs to not do two separate versions to cut down on app store clutter.

10. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    #70 Pipipitchu, Oct 19, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
    Pay to unlock the game is not a problem to me at all. Better to try the game and then choose to pay to get it or not than paying first and then regret it.

By the way I'm still enjoying the game pretty much. Creative puzzlers like this one are hard to find.

11. Ginger Yellow

Ginger Yellow Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Well, I tried it again and it completed fine, so I'm going to ascribe it to user error as I suspected. This was all on Pro, by the way.

12. Honki

Honki Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Quick question: has anyone been in a situation where you could only guess where to paint next? It has happened to me twice now. Probably a mistake on my end, as all Puzzles should be logically solvable, yet I am wondering.

13. projectmoonlightcafe

projectmoonlightcafe Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Love the game....I have a few suggestions though if the developer is reading:

1) For the press and hold to quickly color/x a row or column, can you not allow an adjacent row/column to be accidentally colored as well, ie. once the highlight is toggled only that row/column can be colored. Helps with a small screen

2) Can you please add an undo button? There are numerous situations where I spend a lot of time on a painting and then accidentally one of my other fingers, ie. pinky would hit a square and I have no idea which square was colored/x by mistake (only that I can hear the sound that it's colored). Then I have to start all over again!

14. CasualLabs

Sep 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Yes all puzzles should be logically solvable in normal and pro mode with no guessing. If anybody runs into one that can't be solved using pure logic then I gotta fix it.

15. CasualLabs

Sep 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    St. Louis, Missouri
    1) That might not to be too hard to implement.

2) Thought about it, ultimately decided:
    - I didn't like the UI clutter of a third button. Fourth button if redo is counted.
    - It can be hard to tell exactly what it is that you want to undo/redo.

16. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Finished all the free content in about 30min last night. All but the last level went quick. I think I spent more time in the menus for the first two areas I'd levels. All of the levels made logical sense to solve. I think maybe what folks forget is that the big numbers make it possible to color some squares in without coloring them all. Also if you have two squares in the same line colored and there's only one number then you can fill them. It's all super logical and a bit easy for me to fugure out. I played those last levels on pro just because nothing to that point required much thought.

Overall this is indeed a nice quality game. My main complaints would be the sample levels are mostly a cake walk and the constant transition to the menu just to go to the next puzzle is annoying. I realize a lot of work went into the menu, but its a waste to spend so much time there.

17. Honki

Honki Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2011
    This is the one I was Talking about.

Attached Files:

18. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    I agree with everything Boardumb said. For puzzle games, a somewhat generous amount of free levels and an unlock for the rest is great, and it seems to be getting more and more standard. My only quibble with the implementation in this particular game is that the free levels were too easy (agreeing with nightc1 here) and might not give players a good impression of the depth of the game.

Lovely game. I hope it does well and look forward to other games by this developer. Would really appreciate an undo-button too though, even though I see that that's not easy to implement.

19. Breinstein

Breinstein Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2012
    The Netherlands

You can put crosses in rows with no numbers. There is one row without a number you can fill it completely with x and you can solve all

20. Snotty128

Snotty128 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Hey mate, you seem to have missed a row and a column that should be all Xs. Those full rows (or empty) are normally the first thing I look for, and it let me put that horizontal 6 at the bottom as my first move.