Universal Paint it Back - Picross with a Purpose

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by CasualLabs, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Snotty128

Snotty128 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2013
    I played the demo levels and then this was an instabuy for me. It's gone straight on the iPod too so the missus can play it as well.

2. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Oh cool, I enjoy a good Picross game.

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Also been playing on a promo code and this is one of the better apps I have played since the start of the app store.

Tech Specs
    • Great pricing model, one app to own.
    • iCloud works flawless
    • Universal app
    • Hold it horizontal or vertical
    • Achivements & Game Center

Game Features
    • Original artwork with fun titles to the paintings
    • Excellent tutorial
    • Lots of content
    • Controls work great, sensing if you are blacking out a whole line instead of inverting a couple already filled in blocks

If you are fan of picross, nonograms, griddlers you owe it to yourself to get this game. Best Picross I have ever played. Thanks for an awesome game Casual Labs!

4. indalico

indalico Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    ohio
    I was impressed checking out the promo video and screenshots. Looks like an app I'm willing to buy! Fun puzzles.

5. devensega

devensega Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    This really is a quality game. I had it a few weeks ago and I'm still playing, which is high praise for an iOS puzzle game these days. As mentioned the production is top notch and the core gameplay is somewhat addictive.

One of my favourite features is the ability to do a painting in a normal or pro mode. This means my son can play a more simplistic game than myself, as the pro mode really can get you thinking.

6. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Top notch picross game here, folks.

Notoy is it polished from top to bottom, but the puzzles are good and entertaining.

Unless you hate puzzles. You should try this - it is free after all... ;)

7. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I’ll try it for sure.

Though I still have the last KAMI puzzle to get a “perfect” score it is time to a new game. :)

8. CasualLabs

CasualLabs Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Yeah I don't like Sudoku, but I like nonograms/picross puzzles. Similar logic to playing both, but Sudoku leaves me cold.

9. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    This game is really great. I was able to get a code from the developer. Truly a gem.

10. CasualLabs

Sep 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    St. Louis, Missouri
    I thought about adding a feature where you could tweet a finished painting or post it to Facebook. I ruled it out because that seemed pretty much like posting spoilers.

11. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

The pictures are way too small, and adding that function should not be difficult.

As for the game, I will not belabor the point.

This game is as amazing, if not more so, than the Nintendo DS version. A game I spent way, way, way, way, WAY too much time on.

5 minutes after I started playing, I dropped the $3.

If you even REMOTELY like Picross/Sudoku you are an insane fool to not pick this up.

Seriously. The polish, all the little thinks elevate this to complete classic level. Not too hard, but certainly not too easy. It's designed for every level.

Freaking love this game, so much. GOTY contender no doubt.

12. andsoitgoes

I. Love. You.

Seriously, you've made perfection here. I had my girls playing with me and they loved it! I had a bunch of kids around me ogling at it and wanting to figure it out when I picked them up from school.

And yes, I KIND of like sudoku, but it's empty. This leaves you a real feeling of something. You finish, you have a painting.

Simple yet so complex. And it's on my flipping phone!

I do agree about the spoilers comment, I can see that being a problem. But the art is just so... Fun. I at least want to save some of the better ones.

13. wyzau

wyzau Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    I also had the chance to play for a week or two and i have to say: I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS GAME! :D

There's even one of my suggestions that made it into the final game, that's great ;)

Very very polished picross game with nice visuals and very good handling.
    There are even bigger paintings that are divided into sections, which is a nice idea.

I really hope the game gets the attention it deserves.

14. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Controls are magnificent. I love that you can paint multiple rows or columns and change direction without lifting your finger. I have hit the wrong square a few times, especially when they get small. A highlight on the last thing you touched wouldn't be a bad idea.

And thank you for not doing the "tweet this?" Buttons after every puzzle *shudder*

15. rbates

rbates Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    This game has great polish. I am enjoying the art and controls. However my biggest issue is that the blue grid lines do not always count by 5. I tried to do a Pro puzzle which had blue lines every 4 across and 5 high. I didn't realize this until halfway through and it really threw off my counting. I am so used to counting by 5 from other picross games so I don't see myself doing larger puzzles in this app. Anyone else thrown by this?

16. andsoitgoes

Oh, I would KILLLLL for an undo button. Kill.

17. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    since the dev said it can be hard for the game to recognize what you want to redo, Misguided's idea will probably help.

18. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    I really enjoyed the free sample levels :D lots of character and great music! Definitely worth trying!

19. antix

antix Member

Jan 18, 2013
    I have to say that I'm genuinely impressed with this game, especially since I usually don't care too much for these sort of games at all. Also after reading an article over at Gamasutra, which I can only assume the developer of this game wrote (same character from the game in article), it seems like he put a lot of thought into the payment model and I hope it all works out for him.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/EdwardBrown/20131013/202251/Watch_Me_Squirm_as_I_Wrestle_with_Freetoplay.php

20. CasualLabs

Sep 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Yeah I had to make a decision about how to approach that early on. It is a bit easier to do a painting that is a multiple of 5 like 20x20 or 15x30, but if I thought a finished painting looked slightly better at 16x32 than 15x30, I'd choose 16x32, and hopefully people would be ok with working in divisions of 4.

It seemed to play fine to me. I think it initially felt weird because most other nonogram games like Picross use only multiples of 5 for all of their levels.