Paid Program Now Charging For Content I Already Paid For

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by monetarydread, Oct 16, 2014.

1. monetarydread

monetarydread Member

Sep 26, 2012
    So a year ago I downloaded a music player that would allow me to listen to FLAC audio files and adjust the EQ for my new headphones. Audyssey was a pretty decent app at the time, it was expensive ($4 at the time of purchase) but they had a custom EQ profile for my headphones and all the features that I wanted.

Now today, the developers just updated the app, deleted my EQ profiles, and are now putting features, that I have already paid for, behind an IAP paywall. For example, I now have to pay an additional $3 ($2 US plus currency conversion plus local taxes) to use the headphone EQ on a single pair of headphones. I have five pairs of headphones I use, so it now becomes a $15 fee to use a setting that I have already paid for.

I think that this action is not fair for the companies loyal customers who have already paid a premium price for the program. Now what do I do? Am I eligible for a refund with Apple when a developer decides to start charging me to use an app I already paid for?

2. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I'm not sure what you should do. Maybe try contacting the dev and see if they could compensate you. I know it sucks when that happens. I always said Apple should have something in place when an app turns freemium.

3. monetarydread

monetarydread Member

Sep 26, 2012
    I agree with your solution. I e-mailed the dev and they haven't got back to me yet. Hopefully things work out because this is kinda disheartening.

4. monetarydread

monetarydread Member

Sep 26, 2012
    So apparently their solution is to tell me to load a backup of the previous version and just not update to the new app.

Does anyone else think that is a shitty way to address a problem? I think so because I didn't think that they were turning their app freemium, so I didn't backup the app before updating. Maybe this is my bad, but in two years I haven't even hooked my phone up to my PC to backup because I have never needed to. This is the only time it would have come in handy.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    It's bad what they've done but it's quite common. An app stops selling so they try freemium.

Not backing up your phone or apps in 2 years is crazy though