[PAID][NEEDED] 2D/Sprite Artist For Indie Game

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by Kalimba, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Kalimba

Kalimba Member

Apr 3, 2009
    I am looking for an artist for my independently produced game. The game is a time management strategy game, similar to "Chocolate Shop Frenzy", "Cake Mania", and other popular games in the genre.

The art style I'm looking for is similar to what's shown in this linked image: [link]. I'm not sure if the style has a definitive name, but it's somewhat cartoonish, the characters are realistic, average looking people (for the most part) and have a well-defined outline. The equipment artwork has a strong cartoon outline. The product/item icons are detailed, yet instantly distinguishable from one another (very important in this genre). The UI elements are simple and clean. I am targeting the iPhone (480x320 pixels), so the artist must be able to generate near pixel-perfect work. Also, I might want to do a version at 1024x768 pixels, so the source artwork must be generated so that scaling up or down cleanly is not a problem.

The exact theme of the project has not yet been decided. I am bouncing around a few different ideas and haven't zeroed in on a specific theme. I can further discuss the specific theme(s) for the game once I've decided on an artist.

I am currently working on a thoroughly detailed asset specification, but the rough requirements are:

- Roughly 4 screen backgrounds: a main menu screen, a story selection screen, a game screen (see attached image), a general-purpose background plate (for options & credits screens, etc.), and 3-4 UI buttons for these screens.
    - Primary character (the shopkeeper), with various animations* (walking, idle, etc.).
    - Roughly 5 to 7 "customer" characters, with various animations* or "expressions" (4-5 each).
    - Roughly 6 to 10 "equipment" pieces (static, or with minimal animation*).
    - Approximately 30 "product" icon images (all static).
    - Any other screen UI elements (game screen UI elements, generic progress bars, etc.).

*Note: All animation is accomplished using a simple image swapping technique (i.e. no tweening or complicated joint-based animation).

This is a paying gig, but I do have an limited "indie" up-front budget. If you're expensive but interested, and willing to accept a portion of your fee in the "back end", I'd still like to talk with you.

My schedule is somewhat flexible. I don't have a definitive deadline, but I would prefer to be wrapping things up on this project in as few as 4 weeks, hopefully no more than 6 weeks. Most of the game is complete and working with temporary assets. I'd like to have near-final art anywhere within 2-3 weeks time (if that's not unreasonable).

Please PM, note or email me with links to similar work in your portfolio. Also include an approximate cost and time estimate, based on the rough specification above. Please understand that ideally I'm looking for someone who already has something like this style in their portfolio. I'm not looking for ninjas, robots, superheroes, wizards or monsters (for this project), so if that's all you have to show, please don't waste your time or mine.

My email is pinaparalanina [at] gmail [dot] com.

Regards,
    Michael

Style samples:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]