Pacific Fleet - Launch Trailer

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Pacific Fleet, Aug 25, 2012.

1. ipodrocks123

ipodrocks123 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Any update on the approval process? And yes I did tell some people!

2. Pacific Fleet

Pacific Fleet Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2012
    It is still waiting for review and has been 7 days since submission.
    Current estimates are that it is ~10 days in the queue followed by the review time.

Thanks for spreading the word! Niche games like naval simulations need all the help they can get.

For information about the release status and ongoing development you can follow the project on our Developer's Page. We'll be looking closely at player feedback once the game is out and have many plans for future updates.

3. ipodrocks123

ipodrocks123 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
  4. Pacific Fleet

Aug 25, 2012
    We received feedback from Apple last night with 2 trivial changes needed.

Changes are made and the revised version is already back to them and waiting review.

5. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    That sucks I was really looking forward to playing it this week. A question for the devs, in what ways is this game different then battle fleet? I really enjoy that game and from what I can tell from the pictures this one has a lot more depth. Is this a turn based game?

6. guitaristgba247

Sep 12, 2012
    Hurry APPLE with the damn review!!

7. Pacific Fleet

Aug 25, 2012
    Good question.

Pacific Fleet (PF) has been built from the ground up as a realistic simulation upon which we've initially sat an action game; something like Angry Birds meets Silent Hunter (PC series, not the iOS version). Over time we'd very much like to expand the features and flesh it out into a full naval simulation.

If you've not seen our website there's a host of screenshots and detailed discussion of Pacific Fleet's features, ships and physics.

Major differences I suspect are:
    - PF is based on historical units and upgrades
    - PF has full 3D environments (panning/zooming is optional if you want a more 2D experience)
    - PF plays like a turn based simulation with simplified controls
    - PF currently features 1 player ship at a time in combat with 1-3 enemy ships
    - PF has simplified ship movement (move closer/farther or disengage)
    - PF features "Fleet Bonuses" where possessing additional ships bolsters the ship you take into combat (e.g. anti-aircraft fire or bonus airstrikes)
    - PF uses actual buoyancy physics and flooding of compartments to sink ships rather than hit points
    - PF uses a renown system in which points are earned and then spent on upgrades and new ships
    - PF utilises procedural generation of combat zones; resulting in different ship positions, wind conditions, weather and day night conditions

Also PF is sandbox oriented;
    Progression is not necessarily linear; you can return to unfinished zones at any time with better ships/upgrades to complete them for more renown.
    - want to just play a submarine throughout the entire war? You can (there's even an an achievement for this).
    - want to sacrifice access to battleships and carriers to use the Atomic Bomb earlier? You can.
    - want to focus on carriers and air power only? You can.

Simulation and Realism:
    As we mentioned PF is heavily based on a realistic naval simulation. The screenshot below is great example of the level of detail we've gone into and illustrates that we don't just count a hit on a ship, but examine the angle of incidence of the shell and whether it strikes the deck or belt armour of the target. Plunging fire (as depicted in panel A) can pierce battleship armour and even detonate a ship's magazine whereas a glancing blow (panel B) causes little structural damage to the vessel.

Terminal Ballistics model in Pacific Fleet
    [​IMG]

8. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    Awesome response, I'm very much looking forward to playing. I really hope, in future updates that you add more ships per game. Of all the items you detailed that's the one thing I'd like to see changed. Hopefully the game does well for you and gives you the opportunity to improve the game after release, I know I'll be downloading the second it's out.

9. Pacific Fleet

Aug 25, 2012
    That's one of our primary projects. Since we use full models of ships with volumetric smoke there are several performance issues to consider, especially on the lower hardware. We're working on efficiently bill-boarding smoke and vessels to get more into combat at a time :D

Spread the word too!
    Naval simulations are a niche these days and we'll need the help of enthusiastic players to get the word out as well as give us feedback on how to further grow and improve the game.

10. robiow

robiow Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    I'm looking forward to this, hurry up apple!

11. Bigred4430

Bigred4430 New Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Again is it 4:20 yet?
    Oregrown and Raised
    Looks great! Will be downloading ASAP and I'll be sure to give feedback on it! Right now I can say I want more ships to start lol. The more the merrier :)

12. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    Any updates?

All the other games I've been waiting for this month have been pushed to later dates. This game is the only other game I've been waiting for that has a chance of coming out this month.

13. Pacific Fleet

Aug 25, 2012
    Yes, we plan to release many updates and have high ambitions for the game, including some spin-off titles with some luck :D

Oh you meant for the review process.... nope... still under review.

14. Pacific Fleet

Aug 25, 2012
    All hands to battle stations!

Pacific Fleet is now available for download from iTunes