iPad Pachinko

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by jwbrent, Jan 31, 2009.

1. jwbrent

jwbrent Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    California
    This app is why I love my iPod; a simple game that is fun to play. Highly recommended.

Pachinko

2. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
  3. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    #3 Donburns99, Jan 31, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
    Different application, same type of game though.

I would choose Sho Chiku Bai, over this game.

Not only because of the screen shots, but that the original poster is acting like this game is one of their favorites. Hinting that they've loved it for a long time; the only problem with that is that it was just released today. This says nothing but hidden agenda to me. :(

I'd guess they are probably the developer or friend of the developer... which is pretty lame. I mean, if you are then at least say you are and be honest about the reason why you are promoting the game, instead of saying "I highly recommend this game".

Without a hidden agenda, how do you know you can recommend a game that was just released?

On top of that, not even a brief review of the game you "highly recommend" or even a reason why you like it over the competition? Cmon now.

4. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Ooo, alright. Just wasn't sure if we had 2 threads with the same game. My mistake! :eek:

5. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    #5 Misguided, Jan 31, 2009
    I'm definitely going to try this. Oddly enough, this is the style of pachinko machine that I played as a kid that I referenced in the Sho Chiku bai thread this morning. The problem with that one (I tried the lite version) is that it lacks the visceral aspect that the older machines had where you pressed down the lever to varying degree to fire each individual ball, not to mention a greater degree of skill.

For a buck, I'll bite and let you know how it is.

Alright, just played this VERY briefly. This is much, much more like pachinko as I remember it. I wouldn't say the sounds are perfect, but they are darned good. I also think the launcher is a bit sensitive at the low end, but it does control rather well, and does a decent job of approximating the real thing. I see myself spending a lot of time with this. It's a very simple game, really--think of it as a time waster. I think if an old-style pachinko machine is something you've been hungering for on your iphone (and believe it or not, I actually have) this looks to be pretty good for a dollar.

6. Donburns99

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    Interesting, I never played them as a kid. Having one where you press down the lever for each ball would be interesting. I await to see your thoughts on it. ^ ^

7. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    qft +50!!!...

8. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    I actually made an edit to the earlier post, but you might have missed it because they were only minutes apart. Basically, it's a faithful reproduction of the type of machine I used to play. Nothing more or less. There's more skill to it that a more modern pachinko game, but it's also simpler in nature.

Having played it, I think they accomplished what they set out to do (make a faithful recreation of an older machine) and in that, they should be commended. Whether this is something you will like or not, I can't really say.

9. jwbrent

Sep 16, 2008
    California
    #9 jwbrent, Jan 31, 2009
    I'm am not the developer nor a friend, just a fan of old style Pachinko games. I didn't say the game was one of my favorites (although with a couple hours of play, it's becoming so), but an example of why I love my iPod since these types of games are perfect for this platform.

No hidden agenda, just a strong recommendation for those who like Pachinko, old style.

Hey Don, you need to lighten up on the intentions of posters before you publicly display your cynicism.

10. jwbrent

Sep 16, 2008
    California
    what does your post mean? :confused:

11. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Quoted for truth, I was just saying Sho-chiku Bai is a much better pachinko game, This one isn't bad, but I never liked the older machines very much myself... I also like the fact the Dev of Sho-chiku bai also very active in the forums...

12. jwbrent

Sep 16, 2008
    California
    Oh, okay, thanks for your reply. I agree, developer participation is always something I'm happy to see, especially on a game I like.

13. riceman360

riceman360 Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    i agree that developer self-promoting under false pretenses is quite lame, but i don't think you can say this was the case this time. if the original post is unedited, i think it's fine. it's a 99 cent game that you can probably get a feel for in about 5 minutes; it's not an rpg or a tower defense game. also, the guy has 145 posts.

i don't know whether or not the poster is the developer, and i haven't even played either game, but i am interested so i looked up the thread.

14. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    I think that's really the key in making a purchase decision (if you only want to get one or the other). Played this for another hour or so this morning. It's very solid. Faithful recreation of an older table. The layout is a bit hard, but the starting number of balls and payout size are easily configurable. I find that with a payout size of 10 I can win pretty reliably. There is one spot on the field where balls get hung up occasionally, but so far they have always freed themselves, and it has been no more than a trivial issue.

To me, there's a simple joy in launching a single ball and watching it fall, narrowly missing one target or another. For that reason, I prefer the more open style of this layout and control scheme versus Sho Chiku Bai. The latter is certainly a more advanced multimedia affair that pushes the game towards being more like a slot machine than a simple pinball game.

15. jwbrent

Sep 16, 2008
    California
    As mentioned earlier, not the developer nor do I have any affiliation.

16. RM imagery

RM imagery Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Photographer (interiors, architecture, abstract ar
    Long Island, NY
    Having just played this Pachinko, i find it much more fun than the Sho Chiku Bai. Maybe it's because i'm a bit older - but trying to get the ball down the middle into the surfer has a greater fun factor to me than the smaller and narrow field of the other game. The lever has a better feel in this game and i can actually control the power better here.

This is also 1/3rd the price and is just what i was looking for. I hope they add a table or two in the future. It all comes down to personal taste.

17. Donburns99

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    #17 Donburns99, Jan 31, 2009
    Thanks for the update. There is a few things I like about this one that Sho Chiku Bai doesn't have, particularly the sound effects of the balls hitting the pegs on the way down. I find myself quickly losing interest in this title though, even with the additional skill needed to shoot each ball. If only I also had that nostalgia factor to keep me tied in.

Thanks for the clarification, I apologize for any cynicism, but how about some depth to your post in the future? Something just seems off if someone can say "this is why I love my iPod" and that it is "highly recommended", but give absolutely no reasoning as to why.

I'd have no problem if that was a reply to the thread, but as the original post? Even a simple sentence about the game itself would have been absolutely fine in my book. But without that, until corrected, my assumption will still stand in the future. Once again you have my apologies.

18. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Agreed 100% they are almost 2 totally different games... IMO for $1 it's a great recreation, and worth the purchase if your a pachinko fan...

19. Don't get either one seriously pachinko is bad news. On a personal level a family member got a divorce over this due to their spouse's addiction to pachinko and burning all the cash. Also you can watch outside pachinko parlors as hundreds are mesmerized watching balls and puffs of clouds of smoke float endlessly above. I think it's a hidden subconcious subliminal hypnosis destructionosis. Plus turning in your pens is sleazy as we all know yakuza controls the pachinko parlors. There is a reason gambling is illegal in Japan.

20. RM imagery

RM imagery Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Photographer (interiors, architecture, abstract ar
    Long Island, NY
    That is a hellaciously funny post MrBass.

You are kidding, aren't you???