PAC-MAN Championship Edition DX (By BANDAI NAMCO)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Jul 23, 2015.

1. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    #61 GiHubb, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    I'm not a pac-man player either but I absolutely love this game! The controls are fine, I play on my iPad Air with gestures, no physical controller, and on the leaderboards I'm ranked usually at the top 10 (and some even currently #1 - excluding the obvious cheaters, of course!) so that proves the touch controls can compete with physical ones.

EDIT: the game also syncs using iCloud flawlessly between my devices!

2. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Wonder if world renowned legend and arcade gaming icon and guru Billy Mitchell plays this game? :):cool:

3. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    This is awesome! Thanks, I didn't realize I could use both thumbs, so I was trying to pinch with my thumb and forefinger. Since seeing your post, I've found the easiest way to trigger a bomb is to swipe both thumbs outward, which I can pull off completely reliably. Now the touch controls seem perfect.

4. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    Glad I could help! This game is near perfect. I just hope they add the DX+ content at some point.

5. Dahaka

Dahaka Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Although it's a enjoyable game, I often feel more like playing snake rather then PAC-MAN. Some levels feature the more classic PAC-man gameplay, I would have liked to see a bit more classic levels. Controls are fine, but double tab for bomb would work better I guess.

6. retrogamOR

retrogamOR Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Yeah,thanks guys....Although i was using the the "thumb method",it still wasn't 100% reliable on my IPad AIR.Installed it on my MINI & the bomb was much easier to pull off.

Then it clicked,bigger screen = Needs a bigger swipe/pinch.Sure enough doing a bigger more deliberate (If that's the right word) swipe resulted in a bomb activation 100% of the time.If the swipe was to short it wouldn't activate the bomb.

This still results in some frustrating deaths,due to me not doing a bigger enough swipe in the heat of the moment...And i'd still prefer a simple activation button,but it's much,much better.

7. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    You'd like the original Pac-Man Champtionship Edition then - it didn't have these huge trails of ghosts like DX.

8. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    Drum roll please.... I tested on my iPhone, and iCade IS fully supported! Even in the menus. I recommend an iCade Core: same giant Pac-Mac red-ball joystick, but more portable than the cabinet (and cheaper). And lap-friendly for playing on a TV. (Video-out always means slight lag, but with Pac-Mac, you tend to "signal early" and probably won't notice.)

9. Kamakazie

Kamakazie Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    This is great!

10. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    [​IMG]

[thread=266702][​IMG][/thread] [thread=266633][​IMG][/thread] [thread=266969][​IMG][/thread] [thread=266853][​IMG][/thread] [thread=266705][​IMG][/thread] [thread=267067][​IMG][/thread] [thread=266896][​IMG][/thread]

PAC-MAN Championship Edition DX

[​IMG]

is one of the nominees for

Touch Arcade Forums' Game Of The Week

July 23rd, 2015

VOTE HERE

***PLEASE NOTE***

1) Developers, publishing partners, or affiliates cannot vote for their own games. If your game is in the poll, you can't vote for it. You are free to ask TA forum posters in your game release thread to vote for your game... but please don't post multiple messages about it.
    2) This voting is for TA members with some activity. If you have to ask someone to create a new account to vote, you're doing it wrong.
    3) Suspect votes may be void.

Credit to AndyC83 for GotW logo and Anotherkellydown for original post format

11. Tuzzo

Tuzzo Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Tech assistance
    Italy
    #71 Tuzzo, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    I'm using a C.T.R.L.i too and have the same thought about D-pad. I know the D-pad on this controller is not very good, but never had a problem in using it in other games as I'm having here, so I think it's just a matter of bad D-pad PLUS bad software input filtering. I think it wouldn't be that hard to implement a slightly better input polling so that the game would recognize the right direction.

12. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    I have to say I'm really disappointed to see so few people on the leaderboards. I would have thought such a high quality and highly regarded console game with a strong brand would get more attention and sales on mobile. For example: on the championship II 3 minute time trial leaderboard, which is the first level everyone plays, there are only 22,000 scores. From experience, this correlates to the number of sales minus the Apple fee so for a $5 game it's about $100,000 of revenue, a pitiful amount.

13. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    #73 smes3817, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    $100,000 revenue after only 7 days of sales on game that required limited resources to port since it was not being developed from scratch. In your mind that's pitiful?

14. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Not true. First of all, they spent a lot of effort on the freemium version (which I played) before reverting to the premium model. Secondly, the launch week is the strongest week as it's the only time you are usually featured by Apple on the front page. So even if lifetime they make a million Dollars, which I doubt, for a company like Namco Bandai this is peanuts. I'm sure they made a lot more on consoles and steam, which is a shame as it doesn't encourage more premium titles. Factor in that this is the cheapest priced version and it teaches the industry that free to play is probably the only way for larger companies to make real money on the AppStore.

15. Iphoenix

Iphoenix Member

Jan 29, 2013
    Is the normal championsship game included?

(Like that one more)

16. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Not really, the Championship I level has the original maze and there are no sleeping ghosts however when the normal ghosts get near you, they start following you in a similar manner as sleeping ghosts do. So the maze might be identical, but the ghost behavior is different.

17. Iphoenix

Iphoenix Member

Jan 29, 2013
    Ok, thanks for the info mate.

A bit gutted... And not sure what to do. I like CE more than CE DX, but i am reading DX has better controls.

And i read only a very few people like me that think CE is more fun.

Could i be wrong? Should i jump in the 5 euro canion of hope?

Another thing, i read Dx had an update on consoles which is DX+, with alot more content. Any chance the normal CE is inbetween that content? (Dont think so but you never know when you dont know)

18. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Not sure a 100%, but I think the DX+ DLC added a few new mazes but the ghost behavior in any case would be different than the CE version.

19. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    What's different about the ghost behavior? I haven't played CE, but in this game, the ghosts that spawn from the middle chamber definitely do not behave like the sleeping ghosts in their pursuit strategy.

20. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    They do, once they get close to you, they join the line.