PAC-MAN Championship Edition DX (By BANDAI NAMCO)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    Ah, my mistake. Gameplay feels identical to me so I just assumed the DX suffix meant it was just an enhancement. I did notice that the controls were better, though.

2. Ubisububi

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    I can't tell for sure if it's optimized for the 6 Plus, but it sure looks like it. I guess it doesn't really matter if it looks good, but I can't help but care a bit more than I should. I just don't know of a way to tell for sure.

3. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Pinch with two fingers. I wish itd be like doubletap or similar really.

4. brighteyes74

brighteyes74 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Harrow , England
    Thanks I'm loving this game

5. Rudi

Rudi Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    thanks for the answers, As a big pac maniac I'll try this one. Just didnt want to buy exactly the same game again.

6. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    I bought it just because everyone else says it's good. lol

7. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    I think this is missing the DX+ content, hopefully will be added in a patch, Geometry Wars 3 style! Still, there is a ton of content as is, and it's brilliant!

8. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    Great game, controls not perfect

I love this game on my Xbox 360, and figured with my Mad Catz CTRLi it would be pretty similar playing it on my iPad, similar to how it is with Geometry Wars 3D. However the controls don't work well enough for me. When using a controller, for some reason the game only supports the basic MFi controller scheme, so no support for analog sticks or triggers, just d-pad and bumpers. Maybe it's just because the CTRLi d-pad isn't very good, but I find the d-pad control unreliable when the movement gets fast. Often I'm sure I'm pushing right or left, but pac-man keeps going up and down. I wish it supported the analog sticks so I could try them instead. Triggering bombs works fine, though I'd prefer to be able to use the triggers instead of the bumpers. The Xbox version has none of these problems. The triggers work for bombs, you can steer with the analog sticks, and d-pad steering works fine too.

The touch controls have the opposite problem. The motion controls work very well. In fact it's one of the few games with controller support where I think the touch controls work better for moving around. However I find it hard to quickly and reliably trigger bombs. I wish the game would support triggering them with some gesture other than pinching. I'm not sure what though. I'd say double-tap like someone suggested above, but I suspect it would be hard to distinguish double-taps from two quick steering swipes, especially when the speed gets high. Maybe a button that you can hit with the hand that's not steering.

The game looks and sounds fantastic, and I'm sure if I can get used to the controls it will be just as good as the Xbox version.

9. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    #49 rIcHrAnDoM, Jul 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
    Man, I loved playing this while it was soft launched and WAS gonna save myself a few buckaroos for once and wait for the inevitable/(insert any other excuse for Namco to drastically cut the price within a few weeks) , but decided, to go ahead and support the dev team with the my $5...

Thanks to the development and production ituuÿtapp little app icon teams for going against the grain and releasing a high quality, premium game that is sure to be an iOS hit for a long time.
    DS

~^Arcade Awesomeness packed into a tiny little app icon^~

An easy reccomendation .. 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Richard

10. heyday72

heyday72 Member

Nov 27, 2009
    Will the (DX)+ content eventualy be added?

11. Rudi

Rudi Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Downloaded and played the game.Great and truely new content compared to the old version. But what I really dislike,is the Letterbox I have to play in. Why are there big edges at the top and bottom of the screen while playing?I play on Ipad Air.

12. Ubisububi

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    I think the levels were built around a widescreen aspect ratio. There are no borders on my 6 plus or on my surface pro. Don't know for sure, though. Just speculating that the iPad's 4x3 aspect ratio is the minority of supported devices.

13. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    The freemium version actually had it also as a button on the bottom and to the side of the screen, which worked quite well. Don't know why it isn't there anymore.

14. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    Looks like MFi control IS supported, according to the TA game of the week article. Good! I'll test iCade after I download the game. (Probably not supported--but one way to know for sure!)

(I see above that it uses the D-pad. Seems reasonable to me. I know the Mad Catz D-pad is a bit stiff, but I seem to do OK with it.)

15. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I'm not really a pac man player I've only had the odd game, but seeing all the people loving it has me interested. What are the controls like if I wanted to play on my iPad as I have no controller.

Also someone mentioned they usually do sales? Generally wouldn't wait for a sale but since I'm unsure at the minute.

16. retrogamOR

retrogamOR Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Exellent game,no doubt....Always has been.

But the decision to use a pinch gesture to active a bomb is a poor one.
    I've lost count of the number of times i've lost a life because the game hasn't recognised the pinch gesture.....Infuriating.

Surely having one side of the screen for movement & the other for bomb activation (switchable for left/right handed players) would have been a much better option?

17. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    Totally agree. I find the pinch way too hard to pull off reliably in a hurry. The touch movement controls are excellent though.

18. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    I find the pinch gesture works best for me if I use a thumb from each hand. I'm holding the phone like a controller anyways with both hands so it's actually pretty easy to execute this way.

19. retrogamOR

retrogamOR Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2013
    This is what i have to do on my IPad AIR - Although much better,it's still very unreliable though.Still having many deaths that could easily be avoided.

20. Ubisububi

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    The controls are great (except for bombs). Simply swipe in the direction you want to turn, from anywhere on the screen. To launch a bomb, pinch your fingers. Another poster recommended that the best way to do this is with both your thumbs on opposite sides of the screen. Can't wait to try this. Sounds like a great idea.

Regarding sales, I wouldn't wait for one. Big publishers usually only hold them a few times a year, and not at all if a game is selling well.