Universal PAC-MAN 256 - Endless Arcade Maze (by BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Europe)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by IzumiNowa, Aug 19, 2015.

1. gaymerX

gaymerX Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2014
    Why are the leaderboards almost always dominated by cheaters? Why can't devs police them a little more?

2. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    That's one of the 8 ghost types. It's name is Glitchy. I haven't figured out exactly what it's move is, since it only appears later on.

We might start talking about the ghost's moves, but I'm not sure if that's a spoiler tag thing or good for general discussion.

3. PCKid

PCKid Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Game Player
    Western Australia
    Ok got it. Maybe it covers a larger area making it dangerous to get too close. Will test that out

4. globbits

globbits Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    The real 256 glitch? Yes, back in ye olden days, everything was stored in bytes, which are basically just counters from 0-255, and if you keep incrementing them, the counter wraps back round to 0 again. The kill screens in old arcade games mostly occured because they didn't cope properly when one of those counters wrapped around. Some games died when the level counter hit 0 again, some games like Donkey Kong died when the byte that stored the level timer went over 255. With Pacman though, I believe it was the counter that kept track of which fruit to use that wrapped around unexpectedly, causing it to draw garbage on the screen instead of a single cherry. And back in those days, they probably didn't believe any one would ever get that far, so wouldn't have tested for it, or wouldn't have cared even if they did see the bug.

In this case though, I think the poster you replied to was complaining about the same thing I was where the dot chain maxes out at 256, and this is purely an artificial limit by the designers of the game :) I like the idea of it clearing all the ghosts as the 256 bonus, but it can still keep counting - I got two in a row, but the game keeps taunting me by claiming my highest chain is still 256 instead of the 520-ish I know it really should say... I was actually trying for a third as well, but Clyde's psychic abilities put a stop to that! :D

5. globbits

globbits Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    I don't think any of this needs to be spoilered, but who knows how sensitive some people are, so...
    As far as I can tell, Glitchy
    acts like a normal ghost (I think mostly either Clyde or Blinky, but could also behave like the others, I haven't noticed), but will then teleport away after a certain amount of time. You can tell when this happens because the glitch cloud around him gets bigger just before he vanishes, and you'll see a new glitch cloud form somewhere else on the map where he's going to appear.

6. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    #126 ste86uk, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    You should try bombs they are pretty awesome, you turn into a bomb and when you contact a ghost it explodes in a radius killing everything so can get you a lot of kills, also it explodes when time runs out.

Tornado I don't really like either it's good but unreliable for progressing forward. Been using laser, bomb and big pac man just got stealth and it's not bad but I prefer killing them rather than hiding or slowing

Although I haven't had much time to play yet and my highest score is only just over 13k

7. modus_ataraxia

modus_ataraxia Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2015
    Every time I think of firing this game up, I launch CEDX+ instead. Struggling to find reasons to play this one. And I love Crossy Road.

Can't seem to put my finger on why.

8. seonr

seonr Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Yes are are looking at cloud saves. No ETA right now.

BTW, It's super exciting to read all of the positive feedback here and see how much everyone is enjoying playing!

Lots more in store... stay tuned!

9. roorooroo

roorooroo Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Enjoying the game very much...is there any chance you could increase the volume of the waka-waka-waka sounds as mine is drowned out by the other sounds in game?

10. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Cloud saves would be good then I can play on my iPhone too! Although I prefer the upload and download buttons to be manual as automatic iCloud saves aren't always reliable.

Interested in what might be to come. Purchased the unlimited games but haven't taken the doubler yet so far it doesn't seem too necessary.

11. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Does anyone know what is affected in the game if you turn on the battery conserve? I haven't seen a difference yet and now I forget what setting is what. I'm assuming full battery icon is default.

12. seonr

seonr Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Full battery = try to play at 60fs (try, because not every device can play at 60)
    Half Battery = play at 30fps

Our tests show a solid battery saving and reduced heat over long play sessions at 30fps.

13. J.R. Jalapeno

Oct 6, 2008
    Agreed. It's not the end of the world but just annoying. People suck and have nothing better to do with their time. Go get a job or something. Aholes#

14. J.R. Jalapeno

Oct 6, 2008
    #134 J.R. Jalapeno, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    Thanks! I can't tell the diff btw 30 and 60 from a playability standpoint. I'll turn it on.

15. sstrngmnm

sstrngmnm New Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Updated leaderboard :D

Attached Files:

16. Baron Cappuccino

Baron Cappuccino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 1, 2011
    Member-Owner Steampunk Cafe, LLC
    Plainfield, CT
    So far, I've been content with only the infinite credits purchase for this one. I haven't actually used any coins yet.

17. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    My only issue is cloud saves. Other than that, the game is brilliant. I could play without spending a penny. I bought both iap to support the devs effort on this. Get the iCloud saves done and this would be 6/5 stars.

18. gaymerX

gaymerX Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2014
    Does this version of the game allow you to pass through ghosts like the original arcade version? It would be a nice hidden touch.

19. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Never played the original but there's a stealth ability that lets you pass through ghosts if that's what you mean?

I got fire now too which is pretty good, might replace big pac man with it.

20. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Wait, you've never played Pac-Man before?