Netflix OXENFREE (by Night School Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Mar 16, 2017.

1. brybry

brybry Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Why the price drop so early on? This game is worth buying at full price.

2. That's the price it started at. Looks like they raised it a dollar and then dropped it back in the same day?

3. Yanagi

Yanagi Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2015
    Medicine
    #63 Yanagi, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    They probably scheduled it to go up in price by March 23rd. I thought long and hard about getting the game considering my purchase for the week has been plenty and my forte is not with talk-driven games, but surely it's getting good responses for a reason and ultimately decided to buy it before the App Store refresh at around 0800 my time zone. (Usually, around the time weekly launch sales end in my experience.)

However, because of me living slightly in the future, the cost went up to $4.99 as soon as midnight came while the U.S. front remained at $3.99 for around 6 to 9 hours longer. I shamefully left them an email (well... people, in general, love the game so my message might come off as unappreciative) in case they're not aware or in case something can still be done about it and somehow this happened.

Either way, I've already made the purchase at $4.99 earlier and the flow of the game is actually splendidly done!

4. Remote_

Remote_ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 26, 2011
    UK
    Clearly a great game and I don't regret buying it for a minute as it's obviously beautifully done and I'm always happy to support.

I can't cope with the spoken dialogue, however, as I just don't dig that slightly smart-arse college/school style. Turned me off completely before I'd even had a chance to properly get into it, unfortunately.

Space is at a premium at the moment with so many compelling games, but I'm hoping to go back to it some day when I can deal with it (or I switch off the sound!)

5. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I'm still amazed that they're selling it so cheap in the App Store! I don't remember what I paid on Steam, but I figured it'd be the same if it ever came to iOS. Glad I figured wrong!

6. yankeeblue000

yankeeblue000 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2016
    #66 yankeeblue000, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    Whoa!! What a great game. Great story. Great dialogue. Great sound design & music. Beautiful visuals. Lots of fun and also really creepy. I loved it. Played thru it twice. Loved all the characters and the crazy banter between them. This is not the kind've games I usually like to play but I decided to take a chance and try something different and man I'm glad I did. It was a unique & fun experience. :)
    Btw, the game is a steal at this price. It should be at least half what they're selling it on other platforms or even sell it at the same price. It's the same game and you can take it with you on the go

7. Personally, I'm glad it wasn't more expensive bc I already bought it on PC (without playing).

Just finished and it was more like 4.5 hours? A bit surprised because I had read 6-7. Still enjoyed it quite a bit, but processing the ending.
    And I continued the timeline, but I'm not sure I want to play through the whole thing again, as I haven't noticed any big differences yet.
    Anyway, really great experience and I'm glad it made its way to iOS, because I doubt I'd have ever gotten to it otherwise.

8. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    You all are killings me... was debating on if I should get this or not based on the many other games purchased on what I call my most expensive iOS gaming week ever!

I still look back and think this is nothing (.99 - 19.99) compared the $39.99 - $59.99 I used to Siena in console on other mobile systems!

With the positive feedback from so many trusted forum members that I usually see in games I like i might just need to open the wallet again!!!

9. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Do it. There's really nothing like this on iOS.

10. Jinxtah

Jinxtah Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2017
    Already own it for PC or I'd have jumped on this. It was in my top 5 for best games of 2016.

11. intrepid

intrepid Active Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Same. I found the characters extremely annoying with constant smarmy sarcasm which never let up. Played for about 10 minutes and couldn't take anymore. Asked for a refund but haven't received a response as being annoyed probably isn't a good reason. I'd recommend watching some walkthrough videos before buying.

12. It's so weird because I've had so little patience for games lately with tons of dialogue. But I loved this. Almost done with my second playthrough, found all the extras (I think) and probably the most annoying part for me was just getting disoriented/lost too often and walking a lot more than I needed to. The dialogue felt less forced, less scripted than most dialogue-heavy P&Cs I've played in a long time. Probably can't convince people who find it truly irritating, but try just listening to the dialogue as you walk so it's more of a distraction than focusing all your attention on it.

13. andreadeda

andreadeda Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2013
    What a great game! Maybe because i'm getting old and i'm getting tired of most of the games out there (even if i keep buying loads of them) but i really enjoyed this little pearl; sure you have to like a story driven game and you could actually argue if this is really a "game" as you mostly go through it by reading and choosing some dialogue...but for me this is GOTY material; i'll start my second playthrough as soon as i can to see what changes...
    Really glad i bought it!

14. Did anyone download on their iPhone and get the option to continue timeline right away? Trying to figure out if it's a bug for everyone or my phone is haunted now.

15. andreadeda

andreadeda Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2013
    I only had the option after completing the game once; first time was just new game

16. Hmmm someone suggested it might be doing it because it sees from my achievements that I completed the game at least once. If so, that's cool. Not as good as iCloud, but it's something.

17. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    don't know how it took me this long to finish it... prob cause i have so many other games but this was an amazing experience i will definitely be replaying this over and over

18. tekchic

tekchic Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Female
    Software Developer
    Phoenix, AZ
    I wish this had cloud save. I'm finally getting through a playthrough (just started). It looks better on my iPad (more detail), but I always have my iPhone with me. Would be nice to swap between the two. I may end up sacrificing pretty for available, and just playing it on my iPhone.

I've had several AirPod / bluetooth disconnects from the audio in the first 30 minutes -- not sure if it's AirPods on iOS11 or Oxenfree though. Everything in the game still works, but audio completely goes silent until I app switch out, launch something like Spotify, then swap back.

19. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Now FREE for the very first (and a limited, obviously) time!

20. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Looks like it moved to free to play