Netflix OXENFREE (by Night School Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    That's why I focus on only a game at a time.

2. MobileOnTapYT

MobileOnTapYT Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2017
    Loving this game. Definitely glad I purchased. Going to power my way through this.

3. geniusx

geniusx Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2016
    Great game and very long,recommend this to all gamers!

4. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I need to have your will power! Sometimes I get games because they are released on sale and I think geez for that price I should get it... this week I've bought a couple of games already so even this 20% sale isn't likely going to make me buy this as I have 30+ games I need to play and finish. Ugh... not enough time in the day!

Do you buy games and wait to play or do you hold off on buying and just buy after you finish or tire from a game? Just curious.

5. Gambler

Gambler Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    #45 Gambler, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    Hmm so I just finished this and well I think it is an ok game but imho nothing special really.

The voice acting is definitely off the charts, graphics are fine but gameplay and story ... Rather disappointing.

For one thing it's mostly a choice/interactive story game with puzzles nearly non-existent: 95% of the time you just run from one place to the other, choosing one of (usually) three dialogue options while talking to your current sidekick. Sometimes you have to choose the correct radio frequency to open a door, portal or help a friend. If you're stuck in one of the game's loops you have to play one or more tape recorders by circling your finger on the screen in the correct speed. With two or three exceptions which I wouldn't exactly call puzzles either, this is the puzzle part.

The choice part is even less obvious. There is so much talk during the game (the other main part besides walk) I'm wondering which of my replies led to the three main conclusions the game made (you and x% of players did this and that). Even though the story wasn't that hard to follow I'm still confused about some of its outcomes.

The game's not too bad, was an ok experience but I definitely won't go back in/play again to find some of the collectibles I've missed.

6. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Yeah, with adulthood has come the realization that I'm more a game collector than gamer. But I try to play at least half of them I buy. That said, I did start this one last night. Can't wait to get back to it.

7. yankeeblue000

yankeeblue000 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Same here. 64gb Is nothing these days

8. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    I buy games and wait to play (only games I really really want or that have a great deal). However, the smart thing would be the second one. I am trying to move towards that one.

9. David1953

David1953 Well-Known Member

May 26, 2013
    Well, I couldn't resist, and I just had to hit that buy button. No will power here, lol.

Now, to delete some rarely played games on my iPad.

10. Ghostdog1

Ghostdog1 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2015
    #50 Ghostdog1, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    I totaly disagree with you about the replay value and the decisions you make. This game starts for real once you have played through it. It has different endings. And big running parts are skiped in the replay because of something i don't want to spoil here. Just press Continue timeline after finishing.

11. johnkittz

johnkittz Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2017
    This game is amazing and a must buy, BUT it has HUGE device restrictions which is a big problem hopefully they can add support for more devices soon

12. kopicha

kopicha Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2015
    IT
    This is a Super amazing game. Great music, art style, great story telling. Own and played this on PC. Highly recommend this one

13. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    #53 Pitta, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    Just completed Oxenfree.

It was, hands down and by far, the best adventure I played since Sword&Sworcery, Year Walk, Device 6, The Dig and Blade Runner.

I'll take some days to digest the ending, then I'll probably do another playthrough.
    It's a masterpiece in storytelling.

I'm not sure which kind of ending I got...but I'm afraid to look around fearing spoilers.

Continuing timeline....

14. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    So, I take we have to do multiple walkthroughs? Is it essential?

15. brogmoid

brogmoid Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2015
    a series of tubes
    the south side of the sky
    #55 brogmoid, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    OK so I haven't played this - I've only watched AppUnwrapper's first video.
    But after 20 minutes of gameplay my impression is closer to Gambler's. I saw 20 minutes of well-written but generally inane dialogue with one tiny moment that might be considered a puzzle, involving a dumpster.

Is this representative? If so then I don't think this is my kind of adventure game.

In fairness I'm not usually fond of dialogue-heavy games, although I did enjoy the Mr. Robot game.

16. If you don't like the dialogue, then you probably won't like the game. There is a lot of it. And I was worried it might annoy me, especially having to make dialogue choices quickly (I only played like 5 min on PC before and that did concern me). But I like how they walk and talk. It feels very natural to me. I find these days that I often get bored of P&C's with lots of dialogue because you're just standing around waiting for them to finish talking. The way this is done keeps the pace up and makes more sense.
    It is light on puzzles, but I'm really enjoying the whole mystery, atmosphere and general feel of the game. So far about 2 hours in. Would probably have finished by now if there weren't so many good games this week!

17. RedThumb

RedThumb Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2016
    I never heard of Oxenfree before, but it looked so interesting that I got it.
    I only played a couple of minutes and have just entered the cave so far.

But man, the production value is insane!
    Great voice acting, great athmosphere.

Not entirely sold on the controls yet, but they work.
    Runs flawlessly on iPad Air 1. I even play it with headphones on, something I very rarely do.

Totally amazed so far!

18. -Kiki-

-Kiki- Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Hooray! :D I'm so excited that this game has been released on iOS. I absolutely adore point and clicks, and this one is beautiful. I really wish the dialogue options didn't fade away, though! I'd love to have more time to pick what I want to say. Otherwise I have no issues with the game so far, but I'm also not super far into the game.

It is dialogue heavy, but it all feels very natural. I like how the characters just kind of chat amongst themselves, I'm not constantly having to click on the characters to hear them speak. I'm so excited to progress farther in the game! :D

19. RedThumb

RedThumb Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2016
    Anyone who is still on the edge, get this game!

I am not "a gamer". I like games, but not hardcore and not all day.
    And it rather often happens, that an acclaimed and in its core actuallly good game that I buy is just not for me.

This one though, is really hard to put down and I spent wayyy too much Time playing today.
    Do yourself a favour and do NOT watch any gameplay videos or read anything about what happens in the game,

The athmoshere is just sensational and the twists and turns are fantastic.
    What I mostly dislike in adventure games is lots of dialog and lots of running around.

Both of which are found in abundance in Oxenfree.
    Still, I am totally in and loving it.

I believe Monument Valley was the only game on iPad so far, that gave me this feeling.

I have not finished it yet and hope I stil have some playtime left. I don't want it to end!
    The puzzles, if you can call them that, are very easy. This is not a hard game. But the experience is just wonderful.

20. brogmoid

brogmoid Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2015
    a series of tubes
    the south side of the sky
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts, AppUnwrapper.

The integration of the dialogue in Oxenfree certainly feels more seamless than any talk-driven adventure game I'm seen previously. I suppose the key is whether it truly feels like quality storytelling vs. just clicking through and waiting for something to happen.