Universal OVERPAINT - a game about color in motion

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by LANDKA, Jan 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LANDKA

LANDKA Active Member

Oct 23, 2012
    iOS Developer
    OVERPAINT will be available for all platforms (iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Amazon...)

Only two days left...

2. LANDKA

LANDKA Active Member

Oct 23, 2012
    iOS Developer
    ... and MAC

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Thanks to a pre release code from the dev, i am able to test the game out early, but it should be out this week too if im not mistaken.

Overlive is a deceptively simple concept puzzle game, but implemented in a very smart and intuitive way. Basically, you use the resizable squares onto matching colored circles to eliminate the circles. Eliminating all the circles completes the levels. Sounds simple enough for sure, but then you'll be introduced to 3 main colors of squares that you can manipulate around with to get rid of circles. Additionally, overlapping the squares will yield second-tier colors, which make for some crazy puzzling as you progress further.

Each move can be planned individually to find the most efficient way to get rid of the circles. Fewest moves possible will yield 3-stars to complete the stages. You can take your time with each move as there are no countdowns to affect scores, and i think that is one of this game's great features.

There are 199 stages currently to test your color-puzzling skills.

The odd thing i find in the game is the choice of colors used, when there is the standard of primary and secondary colors using reds, blues and yellows to create greens, oranges and purples.

The game instead uses yellows, teals and magentas which are the actual colors of the printer ink. I believe this is also the color scheme used in old cga computers which is where the palette may be taken from.

Using up all the number of allowed moves per level or quitting means a game over and a game over means you lose 1-life.

There are 5-lives available, and each life replenishes at the rate of 30 minutes for each life. This is what is available for those who want to play the game entirely for free. There is also an option to replenish lives once for 1 dollar. This is good option if you think you are good enough not to fail any level and can play the entire game with only 1-refill for the entire game.

However, for the premium gamer, there is a 3-dollar IAP that removes the lives-system forever which i think is pretty fair for this type of game.

Another odd thing is that the implementation of lives doesnt bring revenue as-is. Ads do. Wouldnt it be more profitable for devs utilizing ads instead of a lives system to encourage buying the $3 premium unlock?

Overall though, in Overpaint, the clean minimalist visuals and UI, serene gameplay, and the ingenious puzzle is easily worth $3 to get rid of the timers and to supprt the devs.

This one of the few puzzle games i recommend to those who love puzzle games.

4. Valentia

Valentia Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jan 20, 2009
    Female
    Retired!
    California
    What an excellent, detailed review! Now I'm even more eager to play this game than I was!

5. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Waiting for it!!!! Congratulations, dude. :)

6. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    And thanks, @Exact-Psience. A long and great review. I read it 3 or 4 times and after that, I'm waiting for the game immediately. :D.

7. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    So far it's very clever and really well made. However, I feel that levels 6-11 (I might be off on the numbers) are pretty much the same level.

8. TheGreatWhiteApe

TheGreatWhiteApe Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Games Designer, animator, writer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Awesome Concept

Great game concept, looks really clean and smooth as well. As a designer I work with color and color mixing all day so should be a real challenge to play. Good luck with the launch.

9. LANDKA

LANDKA Active Member

Oct 23, 2012
    iOS Developer
    #49 LANDKA, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
    Thanks @Exact-Psience for your detailed review. The primary colors in the game (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow) are the most recently adopted by the Color Wheel (and RGB the secondary ones). However, Blue, Red and Yellow were the first to be accepted in the past. Still to know what most people prefer...
    ...Only 1 day to launch!