iPad Overlooked games

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by NotYou, Oct 21, 2008.

1. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    There seems to be a lot of great, and usually cheap, games out there that get lost on the flood of apps.

Has anyone tried Wallz? It looks like an interesting strategy game. There's one review on iTunes, but I think it's probably the dev trying to talk it up.

Zone Warrior looks promising too.

Enso Dot and Hexterity both look like pretty unique puzzles.

Mastermind. I have this one, but I think it's overlooked. I keep it next to Imangi on my home screen with my "overwork my brain until I get a headache" puzzles.

Metasquares. I have this too. As far as I know it's an original concept and it's very well executed.

I know there has to be about a million more.

2. mek

mek Well-Known Member

phit, by Armour games
    i was pleasantly surprised with this game..it feels right on the touch...I'm looking for more from this flash game developement company...

ichess...for only 99 cents, it reminds of a chess game i use to play on the Sony Clie

knots....twister for your finger, for free

thats all i can think of that i enjoy that i have noticed not gotten a lot of attention, esp. phit

3. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Web Developer / Designer
    PA, USA
    knots can go in my other thread... oh so close!
    It has too many issues and bugs right now, but the concept is there.

ESPN Camerman is pretty fun - but I don't think this is under any radar, most people are probably aware of this one. Same can be said for Jellycar. As for older apps that you don't hear much about, FireDrop is pretty fun.

4. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    Zone Warrior is fun. I am going to try to get a review w/ vid out tonight, FYI.

blakespot

5. polyplay

polyplay Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Minnesota
    I'm surprised more people haven't picked up the puzzle game Marple; last I checked it was free, there are one million puzzles, and it's a great 3-minute time sink.

I paid the $2 for it a while back and it's what I love to play when I'm mindlessly watching TV for a few minutes. :)

6. Dimsum

Dimsum Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Metasquares is a gorgeous game - both visually and game play. Really keeps me on my toes! It was the first game that I spent over 30 mins at a stretch playing. before that, the 10+ games I had, never got my attention for more than 5 mins. X-Plane, Subway and FieldRunners have been the only games that have kept me hooked for more than 30 minutes.

7. BATTLE BORN

BATTLE BORN Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    Thanks Blake. I was wondering about this one.

8. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    I purchased Hexterity last week and was playing it last night.

My feelings on it are mixed so far.

The game interface is very slick and polished... it even has some great instructions (something that has been lacking in so many other games) including a walkthrough of how to play, tips & tricks and an on-line video tutorial (that I haven't looked at yet).

Other pluses are that the game pauses when you close it, the status bar is displayed (so you can see the time and the battery status), sounds can be muted so you can listen to your own music, the game keeps track of your high scores and you can also compare your scores to other players worldwide.

Game play can be very tricky. Not always as easy as it appears (it can be hard to work out a way to link the tiles to form an unbroken loop that includes the gem). And you are playing to a time limit.

Rotating the tiles has not proved to be so easy. I've had real trouble getting the tiles to rotate at times. And that is where some of the frustration has come into it for me. While there is an alternative way to rotate the tiles (you can change the method in the game settings) neither way works all of the time. Its almost like the tiles can be sticky and get stuck and just do not want to move. Very frustrating! I will be sending the developers some feedback - I thought perhaps a better way to rotate the tiles would be to have them turn clockwise when you tap the tile. So three taps would turn the tile clockwise three times, etc. This would really improve game play.

Despite the needed improvement on moving/rotating the tiles, I still really like this game, will keep playing it and would buy it again.

9. wooji

wooji Active Member

Oct 21, 2008
    iPhone game developer!
    London, UK
    Hi snow_mani,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with the tile rotation. We actually experimented with quite a few different options, as of course this is the most important thing in the game. The current options, are the ones that both we, and our beta testers, found the easiest to use.

The trouble with tap-to-rotate, is if you want to go just a single step anticlockwise, you have to tap 5 times, which gets old fast! Nonetheless, enough people have asked for this, that we're planning to add it as an option in a future update.

One thing that isn't instantly obvious to people (which is why we demo it in the video tutorial -- but not everyone watches it) is that you don't have to keep your finger on a tile while rotating it. You can put your finger down on the tile you want, then drag your finger anywhere on the screen, and the tile keeps turning until you let go.

Glad you're enjoying the game, though!

Canis
    Lead developer
    Wooji Juice

10. jlake02

jlake02 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Manager
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, I'd love to check it out. :)

11. fpugirl

fpugirl Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2008
    South Bay CA
    I got Marple while it was free and after reading this post started playing. I have to say, if you like logic puzzles, it is fun. It had been sitting on my phone for the past week, so thanks for the suggestion to actually try it!

12. polyplay

polyplay Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Minnesota
    Now that Enso Dot is a buck, I was wondering if anybody who has it would recommend it. It looks intriguing, but are the puzzles randomly generated? It seems as though there are multiple difficulty levels, but if there were randomly generated puzzles, I would get it in a heartbeat.

13. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
  14. jakemann23

jakemann23 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    iv talked this game up a few times already in other threads but i have to say pathways is a great puzzle game. some review sites are starting to take notice so it prolly wont be "overlooked" for much longer...

http://www.iphoneappreviews.net

15. wooji

wooji Active Member

Oct 21, 2008
    iPhone game developer!
    London, UK
    Just a quick note to say, this update is now available -- you can switch on "Tap to Rotate" in Hexterity's settings. If you enable it, it works with the regular controls (whichever mode you have them set to), so you can tap to rotate clockwise, but can still drag the tiles round if you want to go anticlockwise.

Also, today's the last day for getting a chance at your name in lights in the App Store! (In the App Store, developers can have up to 5 screenshots per app -- we wanted one to show off the World-Wide High Score table, but it wouldn't been very interesting when we first released Hexterity as there would've been noone on it! So at the end of the first week on sale we'll be taking a screenshot and uploading it.)

Canis
    Wooji Juice

16. ficbot

ficbot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Enso Dot does not have randomly generated puzzles, but it does come with many pre-made ones. I have only tried a few. I can rarely pass up a puzzle game for 0.99!

I must say though (sorry to the developer as I know they are reading this thread!) that I am about to give up on Hexterity. I have played with it off and on, and have finally figured out why it bugs me so much. The L-shaped pieces are not at proper right angles! THAT is why I had so much trouble making chains and predicting how the pieces would fit together! I would get to the point of only needing one or two more connections, and I would think it was going to work, and at the last minute, it wouldn't because the L-shaped pieces are not at proper right angles. I find this game completely unplayable because it seems that when I do make a chain, it is completely random. I can't plan or predict because it seems like the pieces it gives you are always just a little bit off from where my brain is telling me they should be.

I am surprised more people have not discovered Masterpiece yet! It's like pentominos except you can't flip the pieces. You fit them in and as you go, it clears lines or rows until you run out of moves. You need to think carefully and leave space for the bigger pieces! It's one of those simple-seeming games that can surprise you with 'why didn't anyone think of this before?'

Other puzzle games I am enjoying are Tanzen, Subway Shuffle and Trism. I am contemplating Marple. I hate Sudoku (no patience for it) and if this game has puzzles which are quicker to play, that may pull me in.

17. wooji

wooji Active Member

Oct 21, 2008
    iPhone game developer!
    London, UK
    Hey, no problem. Games are a matter of taste, and not all games are for all people; this one clearly isn't for you! :)

But, I should point out:
    This is a feature, not a bug -- if the pieces were "at proper right angles", the game would not work. It's made up of hexagons, and hexagons aren't based on right-angles: they have 60 degree angles at their centres (60 degrees * 6 sides in a hexagon = 360 degrees full circle).

Also, if it was made up of squares instead of hexagons, with all the pieces at right angles, it would be too easy/boring (I know, because I still have a prototype that was designed that way, and it was no fun!). Judging by the scores on the world-wide high score table, people are definitely enjoying themselves playing Hexterity the way it is! :)

Thanks for your feedback though,
    Canis

18. ITrocks

ITrocks Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Hey, i know that this is totally out of order, but could i ask you guys to do a game like hexic? When i saw hexterity, i thought it was hexic and i was excited as nuts.

19. wooji

wooji Active Member

Oct 21, 2008
    iPhone game developer!
    London, UK
    :D Not out of order. We did actually consider it briefly, but felt that a) Microsoft might kick our asses, and b) we prefer to do something original where possible.

20. ITrocks

ITrocks Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Aha okay :) I understand with the microsoft thing and the originality. I just really like hexic, and would probably pay if it was as colourful and addictive. Might as well try hexterity then :D