Universal Overkill 3 (by Craneball Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

#41 Der-Kleine, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    Well I just lost my progress. Again. And I was like level 12 (It took hours to get there). And it overwrote my cloud save.

Yeah, I think I'll stop playing now.

2. lukey89

lukey89 Active Member

Nov 6, 2012
    Great game but once you get into the 70*'s, it becomes a grind. I liked the game so much that i bought the starter pack which didnt really help at all. 4 stars

3. Rangulf

Rangulf Active Member

Feb 9, 2015
    #43 Rangulf, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    The starter pack doesn't seem to be worth it for $4.99 USD since you can purchase the G36 after a few levels. The shotgun and sniper packs seem to be of better value since those weapons can only be purchased with medals only.

Also, the latest update seems to have nerfed EXP gain by no longer rewarding quick-time events with exp and cash. I'll continue to make observations, maybe it's just for that particular level, and the other stages got buffs.

4. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    #44 Quazonk, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    I have never deleted an iOS game from my device faster than Overkill 3. Y'know in the opening cutscene (on my 128 gb 6+, with loads of memory and no open apps, restarted after install), when the appropriately-named "chopper" chops onto the scene at about 4 frames per second, and then lands on the ground with the landing gear clipping through the 1-dimensional pixel-grass? That's when I deleted it.

5. Rangulf

Rangulf Active Member

Feb 9, 2015
    That's really weird tho. I'm running it on an iPhone 6, and I've never run into any hiccups. They just released an update a few hours ago, try getting that. It may solve your problems. It's a shame that some people are missing out on this game tho, I'm really having fun with it despite some of its shortcomings.

6. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    #46 L.Lawliet, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    The only thing that bothers me is that like someone said, the gun sounds and recoils feel like they could use some work. I also did feel like enemies you hit didn't show impact. Just kind of falling over. I think the Frontline game does a good job of this.

At LEAST I think they should be louder, if they won't change the sound files. The sound very small compared to everything else going on in the game. Since guns are they main focus I feel like they should be louder than everything else.

Otherwise so far its been great.

7. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Does armor ever go on sale? Anyone ever seen something like that?

Armor seems pretty important but I noticed after you buy the first the second costs medals. Medals obviously need to be saved up.

8. Rangulf

Rangulf Active Member

Feb 9, 2015
    #48 Rangulf, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    Scout Armor is what you get by default. The next one, Ranger armor can be purchased with cash. The Assault Armor after that needs 18 medals, but the Tacteam Armor and the subsequent Heavy Armor are both purchasable by cash. The Nano Mk.1 Needs 79 Medals. I don't know about the others after that though. The Nano Mk.5 costs 456 medals based on an older build of the game, but I don't know if they've changed that.

AFAIK, armor doesn't go on sale unlike weapons, though IIRC the Ranger Armor initially can be purchased by medals only until you're prompted to upgrade, then you're given the option to use cash.

9. Der-Kleine

I feel like later on the item prices do start getting a little bit ridiculous. For example the next armor for me to buy (Heavy Armor) costs 117,300. That's nearly €7 of real life money. You either pay about €7 euros for it or grind by replaying levels about 24 times (assuming each level gives you about 5000, which you probably won't get unless you complete a side-objective each run).

I don't think anyone can argue that a mediocre item from somewhere in the middle of the progression system that will probably need to be replaced 5 - 10 levels later is worth €7 of actual money. Not to mention you'll need a weapon to go with that armor to be able to do well in later levels, which will also cost that much.

10. Mess

Mess Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Haven't got round to launching this for the firt time yet. Getting the feeling I shouldn't bother :(

11. Rangulf

Rangulf Active Member

Feb 9, 2015
    As you increase your profile level, you'll be able to unlock more in app purchases. There's one for 800,000 cash for $19.99 USD and 2,000,000 for $49.99 USD which are far more worth the price if you're into buying IAP. The smaller IAP aren't worth it really (the 22K and 65K IAP for example) since you can easily earn more cash as you clear levels thanks to the huge "1st time bonus" you get for clearing a new stage.

Also, I just found out that you really need to buy the SPAS12 as there's a 2nd level that requires that gun somewhere midway in the Suburbs area much like the one in the Train Yard earlier in the game. I said almost because you'll pretty much need to max all levels (with 2 stars extra) if you want to bypass the SPAS12 locked areas and continue through the game.

12. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Is there controller support?

13. Der-Kleine

On android yes, on iOS no.

14. sechssechssechs

Apr 26, 2014
    What I really don't get: why isn't there an option to look through the sights like in overkill 1 and 2? Feels just so unrealistic without it...
    Shouldn't be that hard to implement, is it?

15. craneballs

craneballs Well-Known Member

Thanks for that lengthy piece. Most helpful. Very sorry about the lost progress. Was it after a crash or just out of the blue?

Could you be more specific on the controller support? We used NVIDIA as default, but are supporting others as well.

Actually it is kinda hard to implement with the 3rd person camera, unfortunately. This one has been popping quite often in reviews and from beta testers, so we reviewed and the camera would have to either move above the scope/sights, which doesn't always work with current models + or we would have to design 2D scopes (just like in OK2), which takes time + inflates the build of the game (huge already as is).

16. Der-Kleine

#56 Der-Kleine, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    I seem to lose my progress whenever I launch the game without an internet connection (and the only way to get back the save file seems to be by deleting the data for Overkill 3 (not the game itself, just the save data) and restart the game with an internet connection. If I don't do this (delete the data), then the cloud save message doesn't pop up and it overwrites my previous cloud save, deleting all of my progress in the cloud as well).

For some reason my controller (I am using the Shield controller btw) wasn't recognised the first time I played the game, but it's working fine now. I wish you'd make the B button go back in every menu though, not just in the gun customization one. Perhaps the LB and RB buttons could be used a bit better to navigate between menu sections/elements as well?

17. justplainjay

justplainjay Well-Known Member

Level 77 and I've only dropped around 3 dollars so far. I certainly don't mind spending on IAP for a free game to support a developer who spent countless hours on this game, but I'm getting to an extremely grindy point and if another IAP doesn't give significant progress I'll be very disappointed.

I'm going to throw another 2-3 dollars and post if it made a big difference tomorrow. With a game like this I go in with a 10-20$ budget and just spread it through my progress.

18. Der-Kleine

I'm assuming you mean you have 77 Stars, not that you're level 77? (Because that would be ridiculous)

I currently have 85 Stars and haven't spent anything, since none of the IAPs seem like they're worth it, I don't plan on spending any money anytime soon either.

19. justplainjay

justplainjay Well-Known Member

Well, yeah that would be rediculous. Lol
    If you've made it that far without a single dollar then I definitely can with the few I've spent.

20. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    I am not going to lie - it is ridiculously difficult to get the stars considering that ALL sniper rifles,shotguns and probably even that grenade launcher worth stars.

Did not get too far but far enough to see the Spas' price.