Universal Overboard! (by inkle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Jun 2, 2021.

1. brerlappin

brerlappin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    I emailed Inkle about the heating issue. I'll let you know what they say if I hear back.

2. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Do hope they respond. I’m not buying this until the heating issue is fixed, but I’m itching to play!

Ijipop and brerlappin like this.
  3. brerlappin

Feb 10, 2009
    I heard back from Inkle today.

Good news, they said "We’re looking into the battery life issue. Hopefully the next build will run a bit more efficiently"

Ijipop and metalcasket like this.
  4. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    This is the best news ever. Thanks for reaching out to them. <3

brerlappin likes this.
  5. Gambler

Gambler Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    Rather diasappointed.

First playthrough and I already had the best possible outcome. Of course there was luck involved but as a poster before me already said, basically only two decisions really matter.

I replayed the game a few times to see different outcomes but it gets old very fast. You can easily screw up by being too late, wasting time or visiting the wrong room at the wrong moment. All in all I‘ve completed five or six playthroughs by now though, each about 5-10 minutes long and the differences aren‘t big enough to get invested for even further attempts, especially when you already had the "perfect ending" the first time around.

Not seeing the purchase as a waste of money as mobile games are cheap as heck anyway but would have expected a bit more, especially from Inkle ...

6. brerlappin

Feb 10, 2009
    #26 brerlappin, Jun 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    Posted on Twitter a few minutes ago…

“Overboard! v 1.2.2 for iOS is now in App Store review. This update should make the game run less hot, saving battery life.

Oh, and people won't come back from the dead any more. So there's that.”

metalcasket likes this.
  7. brerlappin

Feb 10, 2009
    The 1.2.2 update is out with battery optimization and other bug fixes!

metalcasket likes this.
  8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Taking it for a spin. I’ll post something in a bit. @Rocksaint, still on board or did you give up on the game?

9. Rocksaint

Rocksaint Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    I gave up. Honestly not much to it after a few playthroughs unless you are a perfectionist. I would have liked to have my freedom and insurance but I am kinda getting sick of unfinished/not properly tested releases. Don't like waiting around for when an update would drop to fix something that should have been done before release. Just my way of thinking.

Ijipop likes this.
  10. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    These things do go unnoticed buddy. Look at Bike Baron. It's STILL not fixed, and early adopters got screwed with a price-drop not even two weeks after release. Overboard! wasn't released on a single platform, and in the span of two updates IS fixed on iOS. I get it though and I respect your opinion...but I'll poke at you a bit. :p If you didn't secure a refund for this, take it out for a quick spin now. You'll be delighted. ;)

11. Rocksaint

Nov 29, 2013
    Yeah. I know this does happen. But that was my point. It’s happening way too often nowadays. Not sure why it’s so hard to get a proper finished game at launch.

Nah. Apple doesn’t give refunds anymore in my country. So I don’t bother with it. I might give it another go as there’s nothing worthwhile on mobile at the moment anyway. But I’m hoping the issue is actually fixed. Not like a bandage on a broken bone.

12. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    This and Huntdown are my go-to jams, but yeah...the state of mobile gaming is dire. I literally have 7 games on my phone.

13. Rocksaint

Nov 29, 2013
    Huntdown turned out to be a failure for me sadly. Reached Area 2 and the difficulty ramped up by a lot. Playing with touchscreen controls just didn’t work for me anymore.

Oh. And Overboard! doesn’t have cloud save. So there goes all my previous playthroughs.

14. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Welp...

:(

15. Brightsiderus

Brightsiderus Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2017
    Well, i haven’t seen any affection of previous walkthroughs on new runs. Btw, I got almost happy ending with getting insurance:)

16. Rocksaint

Nov 29, 2013
    There isn’t much but there are subtle changes. Like the start is slightly different, and replies marked in green from previous runs that worked. And mostly importantly, discovering the checklist that you can complete in subsequent runs. Nothing major, but still they add to the overall gameplay.

17. brerlappin

Feb 10, 2009
    The battery life is so much better with the latest update

18. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    It's night and day! Battery heat and drain is a non-issue now.

brerlappin likes this.
  19. Chq

Chq Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    German translation?