Out Now Over the Alps (by Stave Studios)

Discussion in 'Apple Arcade' started by Boardumb, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA

2. Stranded87

Stranded87 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    This is a bit good. I'm worried it will get overlooked though as it's not as showy as most games. It's basically a well-written visual novel/gamebook type thing where you play a spy. You're making decisions almost constantly, some of which don't seem to do much but others seem quite big.

Probably my third favourite of the 20 or so Apple Arcade games I've played so far, but it's definitely only one for people who highly value story in games.

ste86uk likes this.
  3. Stranded87

Sep 18, 2009
    And finished. This ended up being my current 2nd favourite (behind Neo Cab) of the 20ish Apple Arcade games I’ve tried so far. It’s a really well written spy story full of decisions big and small.

And while it’s mostly text, the number of decisions makes it feel more involved than most visual novels, and having the writing split up into very small chunks makes it feel less like reading a book than most game books. What art and animation there is really helps bring it to life too, along with the sound. But really it’s all about the writing, which is very, very good.

ste86uk likes this.
  4. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The huge game file has put me off Dow loading this so far but your comments have made me want to find space for it if it’s like a game book.

5. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Just been playing for a while I think I’m getting near the end of my first go but it’s hard to tell, I’m at the last place that was showing on my map so far anyway.

I wish I knew better how to get more distractions as I’m constantly getting the message saying that the police have caught up to me I need to distract them or face being caught but I never get caught? And I always seem to leave lots of footprints it seems regardless of what I do?

I guess maybe more time with the game I will learn better what to do to try for other plays to see how different things can be.

But so far so good the writing and the story are keeping me interested and wanting to play more and the sounds and pictures that there are add to the feeling the game gives you. I do enjoy game book type adventures, so if you do this so far at least definitely seems worth a shot.

6. Stranded87

Sep 18, 2009
    Yeah, none of the mechanics are explained very well. I got distractions generally just by lying about who I was and where I was going, or by taking sneakier routes to places, but there sometimes weren't any obvious ways to get distractions. You can get caught by the police but it's not game over when you do (I'm not certain but I doubt this is a game you can fail, rather the story just changes a bit).

ste86uk likes this.
  7. Georgina

Georgina Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 30, 2010
    Sydney
    Well, this was delightful.

The writing was top-notch, the graphics were stylish, and the whole thing was just fun.

I had the same issue with not understanding of the mechanics around the map and how distractions worked. I'm also not sure how much my choices really affected the storyline? I do suspect I made a wrong decision at the very end, and that gave me a sup-optimal ending, but it largely felt like the plot was on rails even if there were small differing paths here and there.

Still, great stuff! Another perfect game for AA, which seems to be carving out a niche with these high-production-value, short(ish) games.