Universal Outwitters - (by One Man Left Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by crex, Jul 4, 2012.

1. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Damn, can't seem to find anyone to connect with... 2v2 and got 1 person in, 1v1, no one playing with me.

2. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Send me an invite if you like.
    Gc- oooooomonkey

3. Ndemic Creations

Ndemic Creations Well-Known Member

Really cool game guys - great work, I look forwards to playing it a lot! Already dragged me away from working on Plague Inc for a bit!

One thing - I'm having quite a few crashes (10+) on my 3GS - usually when submitting a game, starting a game or syncing for games. I'm sure you are already aware of this :p

Also - most important thing for me. Teams are not different enough. I get that you don't want to mess with the core team stats for balance reasons but there are some easy ways (imo!) to increase differentiation.
    • Unique base tile stats - Spend x points to fire spikes out of base tile and do 1 damage to all surrounding it. Heal all team members nearby to max health etc etc. I think these type of mechanics will work quite nicely as they are pretty self contained.
    • Start bonus - on start - can select a unit to heal to max, or a unit to switch places with another, or a unit to trade in for points. etc etc

Just some ideas - hope they are useful!

4. Bud

Bud Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    Art is very attractive. Nice game to play.

5. polycontrale

polycontrale Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Fun so far, but notifications are really spotty. I keep having to check back to see if I have a turn to play.

6. MarkHerm

MarkHerm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    very good game! and it's free, so no reason not to give it a try!

7. saiyukialex

saiyukialex Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Shanghai, China
    Cannot connect unless using VPN

8. OneManLeft

OneManLeft Well-Known Member

As mentioned, it serves as a small match history that you can easily review. Also, a less advertised feature is if you tap and hold on a finished game you can grab the replay URL to share with others that have outwitters. For instance, if you are reading this on a device with outwitters installed and tap this link it will show a replay of a game I played earlier tonight.

9. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    First off, Outwitters simply just makes Hero Academy look bad. Extremely short load times, no luck in the equation, and an incredible amount of depth packaged into what may be the "simplest" TBS yet on the iOS.

The stats for damage/hp make everything very easy to calculate since the numbers are all incredibly low for once (1-5). The line of sight/fog of war system is easily manageable with the features the game gives you. Of course, it replays your opponent's turn, has a chat system, etc. The game, at times, feels like a reskinned Uniwar though. There are WAY more similarities than differences, and I'm not just talking about genre-specific stuff for TBS. That's not a bad thing though. This is clearly designed to be a game where you can finish matches very quickly while having many of them going on at once.

I really like the art and maps.

Not sure how I feel about the mirror-matchup teams yet. Going to need to play quite a bit more to know. Like I said earlier, the tier/division system is awesome. I've never seen anywhere it before except in SCII (Blizzard). Not playing my placements until I get down a few solid strategies, which won't take too long. Will be grabbing the iAP to support an amazing game. Also syncing Uniwar to my device again..it's been much too long.

What's one thing I really dislike so far? It's how much the game is tied to GC. Most async games allow for some kind of secondary username to be made in-game, and then players can search up opponents to play with using that name. That'd be great for friendly matches in the future. Besides that, I don't like how it won't load your turns until the game makes sure you're completely connected to GC. Sometimes, it takes forever for the "welcome back" banner to pop up. Other times, it doesn't load at all. While load times are indeed very short when these problems don't occur, I suggest looking towards other async games (Disc Drivin', Words With Friends, Hero Academy, etc.) to see how the turn-loading process should be.

Pretty excited to try out 2v2. That should be quite interesting. Solid 4/5 from me for now and my GOTW.

10. Snooper

Snooper Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2011
    Australia
    What are people finding to be the most effective strategies? I know it's early days, but still. I'm just massing runners, scouting with them and then grouping on one stronger more expensive unit.

Seems like runners>snipers>heavy>runners. Looking to really get into this, could potentially be alot of fun.

11. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Maybe too early to tell but I am finding the medic to be quite handy so far, it can easily change the battle to your favor, the more of them, the better

And the other thing is the bonus wits, indispensable

12. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hmmm...I beta tested and never crashed when starting a new game, now I do. Odd.

13. TheMartino

TheMartino Member

Dec 29, 2010
    So far I'm really liking it but the lack of notifications is painful.

14. MarkHerm

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    yeah notifications do not work properly but it's not that bad IMO. It's not the kind of game that you can play for 5 hours straight anyways so just checking back every couple of minutes/hours works ok for me so far. Notifications would be nice though!

15. Quantum Apocalypse

Quantum Apocalypse Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
  16. MarkHerm

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    but they're not as good unfortunately ;)

17. Snooper

Snooper Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2011
    Australia
    Early days, but seems like snipers are rubbish. Maybe with the adorables teleport they could be used effectivley, but 1hp, and 1 movement? Really? Maybe if they were cheaper

18. MarkHerm

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    i think snipers are really good :D you can effectively control strategic spots with them.

19. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

I agree, a tried using snipers in many matches to find out a good way to make the work, but they are really useless. Their range should at least be a little bit better...

20. kamikaze28

kamikaze28 <a href="https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hundreds/

#100 kamikaze28, Jul 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
    Buff them with a Medic to 2 HP and position them cleverly and they get quite uncomfortable for your opponent. But left on their own, they are weak and easy targets - much like snipers should work. If you want a more resilient unit for area damage, try the Bombshell (the special unit of the Scallywags).