Universal Outwitters - (by One Man Left Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by crex, Jul 4, 2012.

1. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    You're not motivating me to sign up for league play.

2. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Same for me (except I have lost one... 5 or 6 days ago). I was so excited cause I was pitted against a super-titan and won...

Server re-balancing again?

Honestly, Onemanleft could handle situations like server re-balancing so much better. If I'm to be re-balanced downward, wait until a loss to do it. If upward, wait until a win.

Getting Demoted after a win (twice now... both times from Master to Gifted) makes me feel like there is no point to playing, that I will be put wherever the man behind the curtain tells me to play... not as a consequence of how well I'm playing.

3. Emuchu

Emuchu Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Well, your "don't demote until a loss" idea still has the issue of simply postponing something that has to be done. I'm starting to think demotions should be sent as a notification or something as you start Outwitters up, and explain that the demotion came with a server re-balance. At least we'd know what's going on. That, and perhaps have more transparent rating systems.

4. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    The demotions werent handled that well, but with a 1 man coding team, well, you get the idea. They did fix it so that it should be easier to get (lasting) promotions now. In the meantime, if you are bored, go over to their official forums and challenge someone in the "Invitation Only" League I started. That league is pretty much going nowhere, I started it when promotions were too hard to earn and folks were getting bored noob stomping. And they did fix it, so that no one should be overly bored for too too long before getting good opponents. However, it has around 10 members and is still there if you want it.

5. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Getting bored of this game now that GBWG is out... The fact that I'm pretty good at 2v2 lesgue games compared to 1v1 still keeps me playing. 5th on gifted

6. exalep

exalep Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Just finished a game that I think I did well in
    outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIQCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Y8qZcDA
    Can anyone give me tips?

7. Emuchu

Emuchu Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2012
    #827 Emuchu, Jul 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
    Haha, first tip would be to use the URL tag on your link so they don't get truncated.

Like this:

outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIQCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Y8qZcDA

Code:
    [url]outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIQCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Y8qZcDA[/url]
    Or this:

Defeating the Runner Swarm

Code:
    [URL=outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIQCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Y8qZcDA]Defeating the Runner Swarm[/url]
    EDIT: I, uh... hunh. The tags aren't working the way I thought they would. Shouldn't they be disabling the URL tags? Anyway...

From what I saw, you seemed to be quite eager to react to everything you saw. When you saw Runners in the North, you sent runners to respond. When you saw a Soldier advance to the South, you sent one in kind, but often they were destroyed with little benefit to you, basically swapping punches. When you know what units are approaching, sometimes it's better to pull back your forces and defend for a while to try and build a Wit or unit lead before going in for an invasion, especially in a map like Long Nine where a Northern Runner Swarm and Southern Heavy/Soldier advance are incredibly common.

But maybe you don't like playing passively like that? You're playing the Cuddly Love Muffins, but I didn't see any Mobi shenanigans. In certain maps, like Long Nine and Foundry, a good Mobi rush is faster and more dangerous than any Runner Swarm.

Here are a couple of my own examples in Long Nine:

Emuchu (Mobi) vs Matt3Adams (Bombshell), 7 turns

drawwall (Bombshell) vs Emuchu (Mobi), 14 turns

The first match against Matt3Adams is a super-simple one against someone who wasn't prepared for the speed of a Mobi player, while in the second match against drawwall, you can see some of the goofy maneuvering you get to do with Mobi on the field, even if they're prepared for you.

8. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Doesn't look like this thread is too active anymore. Finally lost my league game today, meh. 25-1 now.

9. Emuchu

Emuchu Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2012
    That's a little worrisome. Does that mean the game is slowing down, or did all the old posters just migrate to the OneManLeft forums? I wonder.

10. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    I stopped playing about a week ago. Too many new apps (and friends ) have gotten in the way of this one. Maybe when they add more factions, it'll blow up again.

11. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    I still have 20 games going and play several times a day. Can't seem to get enough...

12. Juuicetin

Juuicetin Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    I have also slowed dramatically. I only have 2 active games with some of my personal friends and play them about once or twice a day now. It's still fun, but the initial excitement is wearing thin.

13. exalep

exalep Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    It would suck if people start to quit already. I really hope that's not the case.

Can anyone give me any general tips? I'm in the gifted league but I really shouldn't be there LOL

14. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Yep, I do answer to the games daily, but I am this close to deleting it... It's 300 frickin' mbs.

15. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    I stopped playing a week ago - waiting for the new faction

16. Emuchu

Emuchu Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2012
    "General Tips" is pretty vague. I could go on and on about stuff in this game, but is there anything specific you wanted help on?

17. jar0d

jar0d Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Europe
  18. Emuchu

Emuchu Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2012
    So, they're working on the next update. A rigmarole of bug fixes along with a new Faction, it'll probably come out in a month or so. He said the new army's name starts with V, ends with T, and has five vowels. Whatever could it be?

19. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Hmm, it could be anything really, wish he'd tell the # of letters instead.