Out Now Outlanders (by Pomelo Games)

Discussion in 'Apple Arcade' started by Boardumb, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Treason686

Treason686 New Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Male
    I did this one on my first try. You've got tons of time on this level. I did this with one farm, one mill, two forager huts, and one bakery. I didn't use the bakery that was already present. I built a farm far away from the home base next to the totem, and built another bakery and a mill close by.

First thing, work toward building two foragers and alternate between them as the mushroom supply dwindles. Don't let your lumberjack cut down everything. Mushrooms won't respawn without trees. Only cut down what you need, which is pretty minimal if you want to complete the optional objective.

Wheat is a terrible source of food. My farm was 100 percent wheat, but I ran into food shortages, so had to put people on foraging duties. You only need one farm on this level, but it takes so long for wheat to be processed into bread that it's not a good primary food source. I had about half of my farm as tomatoes, which are the best source for of food. Then once I had enough wheat for the mission, I destroyed the wheat tiles. Tomatoes take no extra processing, so are a better use of farmland.

Keep in mind that bread is stored at the bakery and it maxes out at 20 loafs. Bakers won't work if it's full. Once you hit this, tell your builders to start the totem.

Use the work harder decree liberally. Not sure what happiness does, but I turned the decree on until they hit 30 percent happiness, then turned it back off.

In addition, I think that villagers will eat the closest food source, so make sure there are food source stockpiles that villagers will run in to before your bakery.

Now, the next mission has me a little stumped. I need rocks, but there don't appear to be any rocks on the map. I wonder if it's a bug?

2. Inverarity

Inverarity New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Any advice for managing the final level? I had no problems with any of the others, but this one is driving me bats.

Everything goes beautifully at the outset - I get my buildings started, and begin to accumulate some food stockpiles so that I can weather the transition from foraging to farming. But at some point fairly early on the population growth takes off at a level that's impossible to keep up with, no matter what I do. I go from an easily supportable 40-50 people to 150+ in basically no time - seriously, I get eight or nine babies born a day. Whatever I do, I can't stay ahead of the demand for food; people start going hungry, and they're already unhappy because I can barely make houses fast enough. Agriculture crashes and everyone dies.

Am I missing something, or is the game just out of whack at that scale? There's no option for a decree to tell people to lay off having kids in that level, which is the most obvious solution. Experience from this level and others makes me think that the game overvalues the production that can be had from foraging and undervalues the production from farming, whether it's tomatoes that get eaten directly or the wheat > flour > bread chain.

I've really enjoyed the game, mind you - Banished on the PC is a longtime favorite, and this is sort of to Banished as Polytopia is to Civilization. It's weird to see the final, most freeform level break. Unless I'm doing something obviously wrong, at least...

3. ForTheEmperor

ForTheEmperor Active Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Is that the one on the island? The rocks are across the ocean via a tiny land bridge.

I’m stuck on the windmills level, again I keep running out of food

4. writevli

writevli Member

Sep 28, 2019
    Male
    Quick tip for level 5: rocks are on the island beside.

Tip/help for level 6: the famine seems to happen no matter what. The only way I managed to stay alive is that, when the famine happens, I remove all unnecessary workers, including builders, lumberjack, etc. All (remaining) followers have to be focused on tomatoes and mushrooms. After a 100 people died, I remained alive with ~12 followers.

At least you remain alive to “restart” from 12. Babies keep coming. The only issue afterwards was failing for the time limit, because everything goes slower.

5. Inverarity

Inverarity New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Interesting...in the three times I've played level 6 so far, I've been left with too few adults to keep food production going. Last time around I had 15-20 children and only a couple of adults, who were the first to die of starvation. I may need to react more quickly - what writevli suggests makes sense.

It would be interesting to know whether the famine is an intentional event that programmed into the scenario, or whether it's an unintended consequence of the game mechanisms.

6. writevli

writevli Member

Sep 28, 2019
    Male
    I've played it for the 10th time so far, and I managed to survive 2 starvations (first around day 80, and 2nd on day 90-100) by prioritising food excessively.

However, there are only 120 days total, by then, I've failed the time limit for all the Taverns & Windmills… and the focus is always on tomato farms.

I've also noticed that there is no point of building Nice Houses past 100 housing space (as 50-100 people will die eventually)

7. Inverarity

Inverarity New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    I managed to beat level 6 - but not in a way I felt good about.

• Agreed that there's no point building housing beyond a certain point. You're going to need every stick of wood by the end, and (at least in my win) there was just barely enough to complete the taverns and windmills.
    • To shorten the supply chain, I built tomato farms exclusively, as quickly and as many as I could. Since I never produced any wheat, the required windmills and taverns were used only to soak up extra people who needed jobs to be happy.
    • I also used the "eat less" decree frequently. The combination of the two held off famine until day 95 or so and may have kept the population growth down a bit. I still ended up with 200 or so people near the end.
    • I needed two quarries, two sawmills, and two builders' houses for the materials and labor necessary to get all the mandatory buildings completed. I built them all in the relatively empty areas at the far end of the map so that they wouldn't get in the way of needed production and foot traffic.
    • By the end, food production was insufficient and people were starving left and right. I emptied out my taverns and windmills to take up the slack for just long enough to get the last couple of buildings completed.
    I finished somewhere around day 112, with a town that probably wouldn't have survived beyond another week or two. I'm glad I completed the level, but I really disliked having to create an obviously gamed-out wreck of a village to do so. I'll be interested to see what the future levels bring...in the game's current state, I think it's more suited to short, focused scenarios than the sandbox mode I was hoping for.

8. digitaligor

digitaligor Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Wow, this game is giving me Banished vibes (Banished is a great game on PC about town building with survival) and I really wanted a premium game on iPhone like it.
    Outlanders so far is great but I'm not sure if I'm going to continue with Apple Arcade so I was trying to find some other games like Outlanders, but still no luck. Any suggestions?

9. writevli

writevli Member

Sep 28, 2019
    Male
    Tried for the 15th time and still no luck. I tried making no wheat like you advised, but wheat seems to be necessary to make beer. Beer keeps people happy, despite their hunger, at least it seems.

10. writevli

writevli Member

Sep 28, 2019
    Male
    Pretty disappointed in Apple Arcade as well. I found only Mini Motorways to be fun (strategically building roads and maintaining traffic).
    From their 100 games I've downloaded. I've kept only 9 and barely play them, unless I'm offline (Punch Planet, HyperBrawl, Shinsekai).

11. writevli

writevli Member

Sep 28, 2019
    Male
    After my 20th try, I've survived 3 famines - Day 117 - and there was no stick of wood left. So mission failed. (picture attached).

Contrary to @Inverarity I believe at least one wheat farm is necessary. It's useful for beer, making the famine easier to handle (with happiness).

Other issues encountered:
    • If you close the app after sundown and relaunched, all destroyed items disappear — which is useful to waste less time destroying a lot of tiles.
    • To arrive to survive day 117, I needed 3 builder camps, 1 sawmill and 10 farms, 100 housing (which is maybe a bit too much). At every famine, I pause the game and remove the 12 builders, 3 plank works, 4 wheat farmers, all useless followers (Taverns, Windmills, Bakery, etc) and focus all on farming. After a few days, they survive to eat, even after 50 died.

Attached Files:

12. philosteen

philosteen Member

Oct 15, 2019
    Hey, glad to find other people who enjoy this game!

What I've found: the bread requirements for level 4 and windmills for level 6 are a huge smokescreen. There's no need to grow any wheat to complete level 6. It takes so long to process that it's not worth it. I managed to finish level 6 in 85 days by aggressively building tomato farms, stockpiling 500 tomatoes, then quickly building most of the required buildings before ~~the food ran out~~ everyone died. Homelessness doesn't seem to affect happiness too much.

136 homeless, 147 hungry, 22 jobless, 83% happiness… I *just* finished before disaster :D

6CC2AE94-D513-4D9C-BAEA-6DA41E55965D.png

13. philosteen

philosteen Member

Oct 15, 2019
  14. Luie

Luie New Member

Oct 12, 2019
    Male
    Try building more bakery to produce a ton of bread. Im gonna try it out. The windmill is a hint. Also, taverns keep workers happy when you set the decree to eat less. I hope it helps.

15. philosteen

philosteen Member

Oct 15, 2019
    Flow for bread: Farm>plant>wheat>storage>mill>storage>bakery>storage>food

Flow for tomato: Farm>plant>tomato>storage>food

If 1 bread=1 tomato, it's got to be easier to rely on tomatoes for food? The 7 windmills are just a challenge to complete the level. I like the beer+eat less idea! I'm gonna try it.

writevli likes this.
  16. Tigercat6795

Tigercat6795 New Member

Oct 19, 2019
    Thanks. Going to try again with more tomato farms and no wheat. I got to Day 117 with 4 windmills and 4 taverns, before all the adults died. Had 1 tomato field, two bakeries, 2 wheat fields, 1 working windmill, 1 working tavern, two foragers with 4 workers (alternated while farms were growing and mushrooms spawned), 1 quarry two workers, 1 sawmill, 1 builder with 4 workers. The first 90 days was primarily spent stockpiling supplies with no building. I only used the Eat Less decree. I did not focus on happiness as much as I was paying attention to food, tavern seems to keep happiness decent. I am not even sure how many people died during the time, they just kept making more babies.

Note: It takes 7 “days” roughly for tomatoes to grow. With two workers it takes 4 “days” to fully seed the field (I used full fields mostly with only 1 or two blocked out squares). Alternating workers to foraging during grow, the more workers on a farm the less time to seed.

philosteen likes this.
  17. writevli

writevli Member

Sep 28, 2019
    Male
    Few tips:
    • Don't make wheat.
    • Don't make houses
    • No baby boom (try playing the level in one go. Restarting might influence birth rate)
    • You won't have much people even by day 60, however, you should have plenty of food… like 300 mushrooms & 300 tomatoes because you would have so many farms (>8) and all this before babies naturally exponentially are born.
    • After you have too many people, you can build a 2nd builder base with 4 workers. The final 8 builders can quickly make a windmill/tavern one at a time, as long as you empty rock resources and slowly the wood resources.

philosteen likes this.
  18. philosteen

philosteen Member

Oct 15, 2019
    @writevli Yep, agreed. To add to this (don't read if you want to develop your own strategies):

It's possible to finish within 65 days with the following -

3 tomato farms, 3 builders' houses, 2 sawmills, 2 quarries, forager huts and free lumberjack houses (no wood cost)

Build 3 farms as soon as possible, store ~100 tomatoes, then aggressively mine rock and build a second builders' hut. Build a third builders' hut when the necessary rock (and planks) are available to build the windmills/taverns. I ended up with ~400 tomatoes on the 65 day run, but the level didn't really go down, so 100 could mean the level can be finished in under 60 days.

Attached Files:

19. Luie

Luie New Member

Oct 12, 2019
    Male