Outer Empires Website Update

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Paul Hutson, Jul 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Hutson

Paul Hutson Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    The upcoming MMO "Outer Empires" for the iPhone/iPod Touch (and browsers) has had a face lift with a new website opening today.

View it here :

There are loads of new bits of information about the game, including a fairly detailed wiki that the developers and testers have put together over the past few weeks of testing... some of them have even started on a French translation of it all already!

If you have any questions or comments, do post them up!

Regards,
    Paul Hutson
    Lead Developer Outer Empires.

2. AttackOfThePwned

AttackOfThePwned Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    Paul, I like it. Looks like it is coming together nicely. Are there going to be areas within the native iPhone app where you will need to jump into Safari in order to utilize?

3. Paul Hutson

Jun 20, 2009
    No, you can do everything on the iPhone that you can do in the browser - we've tried very hard to ensure that there is no advantage to playing with either version :)

4. swigo8

swigo8 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Pocket God island (NYC)
    sounds awesome! :)

5. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    I'm desperate to play this ! Anybody got any idea on how long before it's released ?

6. Tavoss

Tavoss Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    I'm getting very excited about this game :D

7. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    So is it possible we could play open beta on the iPod Touch 2G :D?

8. Paul Hutson

Jun 20, 2009
    It will be out next month, as early as we (and Apple ;)) can manage.

Unfortunately not, we have a closed group of beta testers on the iPhone/iPod Touch - note, we have played it on all versions of the iPod touch without any problems.

9. Paul Hutson

Jun 20, 2009
    We've done another quick change on the site for those with resolutions of less than width 1280 to stop all the sideways scrolling back and forth.

10. astrosaurus

astrosaurus Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Designer/Blogger
    Portland, OR
    Whoa, the trailer looks really, really impressive. Is there a tentative release date or debut price point?

11. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    #11 ShadowsFall, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
    Alright, sounds good, so is there any reason why it's going to be next month? Bugs? Addition to things? Etc.. I don't mean to sound rude or anything, just curious

12. Rman04

Rman04 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Will there be any forum integration into the app? Like if Im playing and I have aquired a resource I do not need and wish to sell it, can I access the forum through the app or would I need to exit the app and goto safari? Also are ypu guys going to be doing community events that tie together an ingame story? If so would you be willing to share a few examples? I honestly can not wait to get my hands on this.

13. AttackOfThePwned

AttackOfThePwned Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    Some good questions here. Paul, will the app have 3g support or is it going to be tied to wifi only?

What happens when a text or phone call comes in for those of us with iPhones?

Do we need to log in each time we open the app?

How are updates going to work between the browser game and the app since apple has to approve updates? I am guessing the browser updates won't be implimented until the idevice app update has been approved by apple?

14. Paul Hutson

Jun 20, 2009
    It'll be out next month - when, I can't say - it's dependent on apples review process and our submit time.

As for the price point - we've revised it again today, the price is going to be low for the client in the first place ($2 maybe less) and there will still be the subscription after level 10 (of $4 per month).

TBH, we're trying to cram in yet more features and then go through all the code again improving the way it works to get the best possible version out to you all!

1) Yes, there are in game forums for factions, so if you're in a group with people you get your own private forum area.
    2) Yes there are going to be community events - one area we'll be building in is an actual political system where the players vote for their own ruling council and them implement laws through discussion - we, as devs, will support the decisions made there.

It works on dialup, albeit with a bit of lag, but it's still playable.

You get transferred to the phone screen, the iphone takes control at that point - you'll need to log back in afterwards I believe.

Yes.

Correct, that's the plan, we'll get the patches ready to go then submit them to apple - the moment they go live in the store we'll patch the browser version too. We have a fairly hectic patch schedule post release to add loads more features to the game :)

15. blk04a4

blk04a4 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    xray tech
    bay area cali
    have you thought of maybe places that are only accessible when ur online or only on ur iphone... not an advantage, just something different

16. Paul Hutson

Jun 20, 2009
    We wanted to make the game the same on any platform as far as we could so that there is no advantage to playing on either version. So there won't be places that are unique to either platform.

17. Maria2009

Maria2009 New Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Very much appreciate your help.

keyword

18. mcjohn1989

mcjohn1989 New Member

Aug 12, 2009
  19. blackberry8100

blackberry8100 New Member

Aug 14, 2009
  20. Tarcin

Tarcin Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    Ok, I will like buy a gift card for this... one question.. does it charge to the itunes account (like suppose we have money on it from gift cards) or do we have to sign up with a credit card? That will be the deal breaker for me. But I will buy it no matter what. But if we can pay within itunes I will go past ten for sure :D :D :D (I don't manage my budget sadly :()