Universal Out There: Edition (by Mi-Clos Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    After you get around 25K points more or less, things start to be pretty serious.

OMG what did I found!!!!

The early trick is survive just exploring the bare minimum till you find better ship and start to build better equipment.

Awesome game.

2. Menel

Menel Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Engineer
    TN
    #142 Menel, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
    Totally loving this. Very challenging.

Nowhere near the red arrow though :9 I suck.

3rd game was VERY successful, then ran down a deadend of stars... next jump was too far... had to backtrack.. found new stuff but could never make forward progress again.

On about 6th game and flying along, got a big ship, and just jumping energy to energy hoping I can make it far. Skipping some of extraneous exploration. An event just took 40 of my He!!! :( I had an amazing stockpile. And ran into another deadend of stars. Massive backtracking... :(

3. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    And manage your resources well too! I found myself disassembling and reassembling devices more than I wanted just to progress a bit more. My highest score was 26k.

If I had to describe the game in a few words, I'd say it's a "choose your own adventure" gamebook in space with resource management. The best part is that due to randomization, devs can always add more and more segments to make the stories more and more varied.

Enjoying the game a lot atm, and I've always died. Still have to get to a decent ending aside from running out of fuel or having to give up because I ran out of everything...

4. bune

bune Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    I have a question, not sure if anybody has encountered them yet so i'll put the question inside spoiler.

Is it possible to bypass the 'Enemies' in the game? My last game which was going great until I met them, after meeting them it became very hard to progress as most planets/resources were occupied by them.

5. mitrida

mitrida New Member

Jun 27, 2013
    I have same problem and the enemies breaks my equipement and steal my material

6. ZorakZoran

ZorakZoran Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    France
    Awesome game so far. I made 26k on my third run, but I changed for a new vessel which didn't have planetary propulsion, and I couldn't build one, so I ended up without the ability to refuel, and died. I just love it, and since I'm french, the text is ok. :)

7. Menel

Menel Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Engineer
    TN
    I already had a faster ship when I encountered them. I barely managed to skirt them to the 'green' finish.

There seems to be 3 ending. Blue/Green/Red.

The Blue ending seems related to the Enemies... maybe they finish you off, maybe you form an alliance, maybe you wreck their planet? I dunno, but my guess the only way to get rid of them.

8. bune

bune Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    I guess that they are unavoidable which kind of sucks for me cause I was having fun just exploring. Having them reach you at x number of turns means I need to rush the game in general or I'll never reach any of the endings. If I hadn't run into them I think I wouldn't of have had any problems finishing the game. I had lots of materials, good range on my ship, lots of fuel and could terraform planets so never had any more issues with oxygen.

9. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Should I just email the Dev about this?

10. iammike

iammike Active Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Middle of Vermont
    I've only played a single round, but so glad I bought this.

If you're on the fence, buy now.

11. CzechCongo

CzechCongo Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    I got into a problem with space folder range on my last run, and I had to start backtracking. Luckily,
    I ran into an event that warped me to another star....unluckily, it was out of range of all other planets, so I gave up. One thing I didn't think to try until too late was to drop an omega on my space folder. Wonder if that will work? Will have to test it...

oh, and I finally got a geoscan! Not quite as directly useful as I thought, perhaps because of that run I didn't get a lot of tech that I needed specific elements for. I also got the interferometer one run - that one rocks!

I have gotten 4 different ships so far, and one I got twice. I was happy to see that it had different equipment both times.

Some tips:
    try to use up slots of maintenance supplies before probing/drilling so you can take more.
    Dismantle all equipment on your old ship to scavenge material to bring with you to your new ship.

12. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    My only wish for the game (so far) is that you could restart faster, bit irritating with the skipping tutorial etc.

Loving it though, longest run is about 26k after I found a very little ship but with great propulsion and enviro. :cool:

13. anabolicMike

anabolicMike Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    The more I play this the more I love how utterly simple it is. It's pretty good. Devs did a great job. The music and the fact that I'm always in the red with some needed item keeps you depressed and rushed at the same time. Very well made.

I was just remembering the old days yesterday with a couple buddies. There was the Nintendo and the Super Nintendo. Sure you could make little games yourself on a PC and give it to friends but it never got anywhere. Hell, even in 1999 it was around the same. I had gotten bored with games, wouldn't buy any system or anything because of how expensive and time consuming. I don't know when it happened, maybe when steam first came out, but suddenly I got interested in games again and there's a massive independent movement. Suddenly every little guy/girl can make a game and it can get out there for all to see! I don't even look at the big name developers. Sure people like call of duty and gears of war but I'm sorry guys I spend way more time on a simple little game like "out there". It's impressive the way it all went and I wouldn't have it any other way hah. AAA games are never as thought provoking and brain twisting as indie games. Hmmmmz I wonder if the AAA feel any pressure :/.

Keep up the good work indie devs. I'll buy as many games as I can a dollar or two or three at a time! :D

14. sortvind

sortvind Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2012
    This game is in need of two things; adjustable sounds, not just on or off.
    The sound effects are way to loud compared to the music.

Grammar fixes and less puns.

Other than that, interesting so far.

15. evanac

evanac Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Senior Producer
    Amen to this. ^^

16. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I'm enjoying this but it's a little too dry, especially with FTL on the horizon. After the first few jumps it doesn't feel like I'm actually exploring the universe. Everything begins to look alike.

17. Havelcek

Havelcek Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    Yea I'm on the fence about it as well. The sheer randomness of what happens to you is frustrating and punitive. I will keep pushing on but it does seem like a chore....high score is 19K so far.

18. BillyOceansBlues

BillyOceansBlues Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    #158 BillyOceansBlues, Feb 27, 2014
    There has to be a fix that lets you skip the intro, skip the option to view the tutorial. Do I have to stare at the title screen and say no twice before restarting? Cool core to this game, though. I appreciate the randomness. Many localization errors in the text.
    Edit: Can't get enough of this game. Addicting as all hell. Brilliant. A lot of people are saying it's a lot different fromFTL, but really it's very similar. The only differences are that this game has no crew or combat, and there is mining. Besides the unnecessary obstacles built into the interface, this is a totally great game!

19. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#159 Bronxsta, Feb 27, 2014
    Randomness is what makes roguelike-esque games like this tick. Making the best of the hand you're dealt, good or bad. Yes, these games can be frustrating, but I find that's part of the charm and the experience

I think the developer of Dwarf Fortress said it best: "Losing is fun"

20. GR3NADE

GR3NADE Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Czech republic
    I love it! I managed to score over 30,000 points :) everyone should grap this. I love how you find a very useful technology and on your next run you have to rely on something different :)

2 tips:
    -When there is a ship you don't like for whatever reason, take it and go to nearest star system, get some minerals (or whatever) and go back to your old ship

-when you decide to go with one of two ships, always destroy all of the second ship's equipment for extra Fe and others