Universal Out There: Edition (by Mi-Clos Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Feb 26, 2014.

1. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Do you want more great games as this one? Purchase at asking price, support devs, forget about a price drop. If they sell enough, there won't be any need of dropping the price. They need to make a living from their products ;)

2. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    One awesome moment that just happened to me in Out There and I wanted to share.

So...I find a super cool ancient artifact in the middle of the space.
    It was already a great game....somehow I did a ton of progresses towards something I won't spoil, and I have almost full main resources, plus a nice list of new tech to build, including the solar sails tech that enhance your movement radius.

Of course, I touch it....
    BAM....it warps me even further towards the center of the galaxy!!!
    Perfect!!!!
    Well....I land on a star system where every other star is out of reach.

Panic.

Nothing to do?
    No, there are 3 rocky planets....so I hop between them drilling everything and breaking drill several times, when AT LAST I find 4 Th, necessary to build the sails that extend radius.

SUCCESS!!!!

I can finally escape that mouse trap.

2 star systems later...I find ANOTHER weird alien artifact.

How could I resist?
    What possibly could go wrong?

I died soon after (no star system in reach and broke the solar sails, no Fe to repair, no planets to drill).

So AWESOME.

3. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    This game is brilliant, I just had a great adventure finding a new ship and some other cool stuff (I'll not say for spoilers) and it looks like I'm first out of my friends list ;)
    Fuel is always the thing I seem to be trying to find :eek: and I even feel like I'm learning the periodic table just from playing :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

4. spooky23

spooky23 Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Bought. Not played it yet. Has a hint of Prophet about it (it's a comic). Although the latter is a lot stranger.

5. funambulist

funambulist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    NL
    Game Impressions

Downloaded the game at midnight... never played the beta and on my 5th or 6th run I believe I reached one of the endings (I'm now ranked #9 at 46,830 points).

I love rogue-likes (Brogue, Hoplite, 868-HACK) but fear that this one leans more heavily on the side of atmosphere than skillful play.

Based on my playing so far (and apart from the grammar mistakes which can be fixed) I feel the writing isn't as good as it should be given the protagonist's existential (read: philosophical) quandary.

Pity.

6. wyzau

wyzau Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    is this a more 'strict' roguelike or are there some permanent upgrades or unlockables you can get (like in rogue legacy)?

7. funambulist

funambulist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    NL
    Methinks more 'strict'... starting over is truly starting over.

8. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Any tips? The high cost of entering an orbit makes me think...

9. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    It's a strict rogue-like, no permanent upgrades. Every game is different.

10. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    The only reason this game could possibly drop in price that fast would be because people are too cheap to spend 4 bucks on an excellent game.

11. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    #111 TheFrost, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
    Played more yesterday night (couldn't help it, today I'm paying the price of lack of sleep) and I am deeply in love with this one. Its so refreshing to have an endless runner without having to kill or collect coins but instead explore and discover stuff while trying to survive. Its also brutally difficult as a sim, as it should be in real life to be lost in an unknown space. Every decision matters there. I haven't played much games like this (Waking Mars, Journey comes to mind) and I want more.

Checked Faster Than Light and they seem completely different just sharing the theme but I can see they will compliment each other pretty good.

This is one of the best games I ever played. Period. Right now, my GOTY, this just tops most games I played so far this year: Bug Heroes 2, Toast Time, Castle Doombad, Hoplite or Bardbarian by far. And with Monument Valley and Glorkian Warrior (almost ready for submission) on the way, I foresee that this year will be even more awesome than 2013 which was a great year.

Games like Out There gets all my praise.

So my truly best games list for iOS ever (I gave a lot of thought to this list a while ago to try to not leave key games behind on my Write for iPhone app / not in any particular order):

Worm Run
    Badland
    Last Rocket
    Indiana Stone: The Brave and the Bold
    Waking Mars
    Monsters Ate My Condo
    Gesundheit
    *Futuridium EP
    *Bug Heroes 2 could be here, but... somehow it isnt
    Out There

*Edit: Always forget about Futuridium EP! Damn me!

Also, this game is it for me, I am going to change how I look at games and what ratings. Just went though 60 pages changing ratings.

12. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    No you only need the basic probe that you sart out with to probe gas giants. Only stars require the ultraprobe

13. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Look it up, it's in the upcoming section :p

14. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    The game rocks... Was waiting for this from the early announcement but this is already beyond my expectations! Well done :)

15. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England

Thanks, just seen it... It looks like elite for iOS :) :) loved elite, spent hours n hours on it years ago.
    But there's only been one video of it out in a year. And March last year they said they trying to get it ready for summer release.... But that never happened, and a year later no updates or release :( :(

16. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Is this a book, slide show or does it have animations? The video showed both but I assume the intro was animated but the gameplay static? Are there any visual effects or is it all un animated art?

17. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    #117 JCho133, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
    FYI there's a translation error.

When the game says "black matter" it should be saying "dark matter"

18. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    The Dev actually commented on the TA twitch stream yesterday because I brought his game up in the comments, and he said Steam Early Access was starting so it should be out this year :p

19. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    It's got animation, you see you ship fly between planets, it's not fully animated like a "real game" but more like an animated graphic novel. it plays like a choose you own adventure book but in space and with resource management.
    Feels like a mix of Oregon trail and a choose you own adventure book.

20. aikavari

aikavari Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Loving this game. At first I thought it would be complicated with all the crafting and dismantling and stuff but its really not... I think the initial impression that its a roguelike is inaccurate. Id more relate this to Oregon Trail actually.