Universal Out There: Edition (by Mi-Clos Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Feb 26, 2014.

1. CzechCongo

CzechCongo Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    There, there, just see yourself out.

2. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    No problem! I hope it lives up to expectations. I'm more excited about mining/trading etc. than the space combat haha

Died pretty brutally in my first game of OT... It only lasted like 10 mins.
    I went to a star and my hull dropped from 100 to 19 instantly. Then I found a black hole (it blew my mind) and lost another 8 there. But eventually it was the lack of fuel that killed me :p

Wait. Out There is on my phone. Why am I on touch arcade?

3. Drizzt79

Drizzt79 Member

Sep 19, 2012
    There's already been two posts before this one asking about iPhone/iPod touch 4 support. Can anyone comment?

4. anabolicMike

anabolicMike Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Comment? Why don't mind if I do! I bought this game instantly. Like at 11 I came online to search it out in the App Store and buy it.

My thoughts:

It's pretty good! Easily worth the money. The atmosphere is great! Beautiful art and music. The controls you use are simple, click click click. It does kinda feel like a pick your own adventure book to me and I am not looking forward to eventually seeing duplicate events. As a warning let me tell you that this game is super hard. Your going to die from lack of fuel or lack of oxygen thirty five times before you even get off the toilet. The tutorial is a great start and teaches you the basics to begin so make sure you play it. I met an alien. They gave me a present which I promptly tried to use for fuel then next plant jump I beaches the boat as it were and died. I don't know.... It's pretty good. It's Nothing like FTL gameplay wise. Maybe the look of it reminds me of FTL but no it's different. I like it and suggest if you like PYOA games you grab it!

Oh yes! When it comes to KoDP... Nothing beats that. I haven't seen a game yet on iphone that I can honestly say can beat that game. I spent hours upon hours on it. Even with a the praise I give certain devs and etc. KoDP is in a different league then any other iphone game. If I ever say "hey <insert name> Is the best game ever!!!" Please be informed that I actually mean the second best game. KoDP is still the best.

Ok thanks! Have yourself a merry Christmas and a happy new year

5. WaspStung

WaspStung Member

Oct 23, 2011
    #85 WaspStung, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
    Pure fun!

Simple yet deep.

6. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    I dunno, but drilling on the same planet more than once causes diminishing returns which is even less economical when you use probe, which the latter cause you precious fuel. Evening drilling/probing at different "depths" does not usually produce proportional results.

7. XvEsunavX

XvEsunavX Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Plays wonderfully on my itouch4. I was so excited! No hiccups/crashes/ungodly load times. On my 2nd game now.

8. dream

dream Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    Is there a trick to acquiring or creating fuel? I keep running out after a few minutes of exploration unless I get lucky and come across a supply station.

9. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Bought it, played two games which were quite different to each other and died quickly. This is a must-have if you like "Choose your own adventure" books and games.

As it's already been said, the game is hard... HARD. But hey, if it wasn't hard, it would lose interest very fast :p

Btw, I noticed that by exiting and reloading the game, I was back to the last visited star, but not to the last investigated planet. If I pause the game and press "quit", will it save the exact position where I am? I can't try it now... :p

10. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    You have to probe gas giants

11. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    But you need an ultraprobe, so don't bother trying unless you have the schematics to create one (been there, done that :D).

12. abodi

abodi Active Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Does this developer have a habit of dropping the price after a couple days/weeks? I've been burnt too many times.

13. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Great game so far, just finished my first game, made it for an hour before running out of fuel. It's rare that I buy a game and get exactly what I was hoping for, and exactly what a developer promised. Personally, I think the lack of combat, with the focus on exploration and discovery, is what makes the game's atmosphere so immersive.

14. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    It's 4 bucks, no IAP, and one of the most anticipated games of the year. I wouldn't worry about an immediate drop.

15. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I don't know, but in the "more games" section you have Shufflepuck Cantina, which is an amazing game which I was lucky enough to get the gold version in a price drop. This, along with the great quality of Out There, makes purchasing this game at $4 a no-brainer, even if it dropped it price in a few hours.

Honestly, watch gameplay videos and if you like what you see, go buy it for $4 and support the dev. As someone just said, $4 is the final price: no IAP's, no ads, no rubbish. Great game!

16. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    Drifter? What's that?

17. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Already discovered a TON of new things compared to the beta.

Fantastic!!!

Now...if only I could reach again the story-point that marked the end of the beta....I keep dying before the last portal :D

For people at the very beginning....the trick initially (at least till you acquire new techs or new ships) is to weight the pros and cons of exploration and resources management.
    Try to think as you really were OUT THERE....you wouldn't probably explore every nook and cranny of the galaxy.
    After a while you will notice your game will be longer...a pivotal moment is when you will be lucky enough to find new ships (and not die, of course :p).

Minerals can be acquired by drilling planets while fuel can be acquired by probing stars, both tech are already in your ship.
    Be warned that landing or moving between planets consume fuel, oxygen and can damage the hull...so it's always a trade off.
    When you start to build new techs...DO NOT be shy to dismantle that if you need resources to survive.

IF you manage to survive...there is also a nice story to be uncovered in the game.

It all started on iPad, but I must confess I prefer playing on iPhone...the dev did really an outstanding work here (also...tiny footprint and very light on battery too).
    The perfect game to do 'just one more star'....before realizing it is 3 am in the middle of the night.

18. abodi

abodi Active Member

Feb 1, 2011
    I'm happy to support the dev for the asking price. But not if they don't believe in it enough and make it a buck or 2 in a couple days to a week.

19. abodi

abodi Active Member

Feb 1, 2011
    How does any of that matter if it's a buck on Tuesday?

20. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Its just a couple of dollars, if it goes down in price by a dollar or two dont worry. Its still a great game at a great price, we need to support great indie titles like this, no IAP's, no freemium. We bleat on about freemium all the time, nows the time to put your money where your mouth is, support a game like this instead of worrying if it'll drop in price etc