Universal Out There: Edition (by Mi-Clos Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Feb 26, 2014.

1. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #741 syntheticvoid, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015

Unfortunately, no.

I have actually brought this up with a few developers. I've only seen a couple actually implement it (Solomon's Boneyard/Keep & Ravenmark). It's... Not very common.

2. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Man the game is just as hard as I remember lol. I am not even getting half way to the red ending I dont think. I grab 1 new ship and run out of fuel and I am screwed.

3. ludka33

ludka33 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2013
    That stinks. It feels like stealing, playing with all this additional content but not giving back a little something for it.

4. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    For those that are playing the expansion,

For someone like me who hasn't gotten round to playing it yet (criminal I know!), and who wants a longer experience with it, should I update the game before I start or update later? Like is the new content mixed in straight away or not? I'd like to experience the game pre expansion and post just so I can appreciate the extra work.

5. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Expansion is mostly cosmetic. I would get play updated. I actually purchased before the update and waited till it came out to play.

6. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    The update seems to be mostly cosmetic with a few additions and a lot more random events between jumps. It's largely the same game and I'm disappointed to see that most of my issues with the original release have still not been addressed. Most importantly, you still cannot interact with your ship after drilling/probing which means you have to do a lot of inventory management and mundane tasks like routinely refilling your fuel/repairing your hull etc. That one simple change would have made the whole game far more streamlined. Same goes for when you receive items from natives, if you have a full cargo hold you just lost out on omega. The game won't even tell you that you lost out on an item because your cargo hold was full.

More issues such as an inability to harvest oxygen directly from the atmosphere on garden planets, inability to see range of stars from your destination star leading to a lot of guesswork and in general very heavy focus RNG still hold the game back from its true potential for me. The new events are more or less all random and they all only tie into the existing framework of limited resource types and technologies.

7. vivafringe

vivafringe Well-Known Member

May 10, 2014
    #747 vivafringe, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    Getting the yellow ending is pretty frustrating because there are a lot of hidden prerequisites. You'll save yourself some pain if you read the spoiler, but, uh, you'll also be spoiled. So your call:

What you're told:

- There's a place humanity was heading to, but its ship was damaged.
    - There's a bunch of frozen dudes that take up inventory space.
    - You get a new beacon.

But of course it's not nearly as simple as just taking the dudes to the beacon. It turns out:

- The beacon, by design, is too far away to actually be reached by engine, so you need to get a Wormhole Generator to travel from the final travel-able star to the beacon.
    - You can only wormhole through black holes. My first playthrough had a black hole as the final star, but this was actually random, and it can be *any* star. So you need a Death Seed to destroy the final star and turn it into a black hole.
    - Once you get there, it's just a dead world. You also need to have a Life Seed to recreate the world and actually get the ending.
    - You don't need *all* of the guys that were on the damaged ship, just 1 of them (although more improves your final score).

Some other tips, not particularly spoiler-y:

- Worlds with oxygen don't give anything useful from drilling in the early game. Even Oxygen is superfluous if you are visiting enough alien worlds (see below). Don't bother wasting time drilling there; just chat with the alien and leave. Wait until you are "stable" before you drill them or find tech that needs copper.
    - I usually probe at 10, drill at 7. It only costs 2 iron to probe 10, gives you more than 2 iron of stuff, and frees up the inventory slot. I also drill at 10 when inventory slots are super tight, although it's less clearly optimal there.
    - On a related note, don't be afraid to break your own shit to make temporary space. It only costs 1 iron to break and rebuild your reactor. I break my telescope a lot because silicon is a required slot (you need it for lots of stuff) but also very common.
    - Before you get Omega, make sure you have a slot open when you talk to aliens or you'll get screwed.
    - Don't treat Alien words you don't know as zero info. There are ways to figure out the answer to the Y/N questions with zero known words.
    - It's highly advantageous to go to Yellow Stars over any other color, because they're more likely to have alien life (which give you tech, oxygen and omega).
    - That being said, you should probably explore every world in the early game, where it's relatively cheap in fuel to travel between worlds. You need to find a big ship and the best way to do it is to check every world.
    - Sphere, one of the best ships in the game prepatch (the world tree thing) is now terrible because it takes Carbon as fuel instead of Helium. Carbon is much less common than Helium so in practice it's at best a transition ship while you look for a different one.
    - The best ship is "Disc" (21 slots and good stats), which requires Cobalt to repair its empty slots. As an extra bonus you can use Thorium to repair Hull, but the Hull is so strong that in practice it's often necessary.
    - Tungsten is worth keeping around in the midgame, since the Terran-ship (which I believe is the second best) is pretty common and requires Tungsten to repair its cargo slots. After you find the Terran-ship though, it's safe to throw away.
    - Halfnium is safe to discard, although it can be used to build one nice thing.
    - Silicon is necessary for building a lot of crucial stuff, so I just leave a slot of 20 lying around as insurance. You need it to build the Wormhole Generator in any case.

8. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Problem is... The post isn't 'spoiled' in an email...

9. vivafringe

vivafringe Well-Known Member

May 10, 2014
    #749 vivafringe, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    Sorry! Even in the email, there's a warning, so not sure what else I could have done.

10. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #750 syntheticvoid, Jul 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    **edit*** deleted

**to be clear - there wasn't any animosity or anything directed at you. It was more about how emails are handled than anything...

11. veryggyy

veryggyy Active Member

Apr 2, 2015
    #751 veryggyy, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
    Anyone passed the yellow end?

12. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    I just want to thank the dev for this awesome free update.Hope you all went immediately to the app store to place you 5 stars.That's the least we can do for such a great support :)

13. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Agreed.. This game is excellent and one of only three games that's never been deleted from my device.. FTL, wayward souls and this one

14. Warriv

Warriv Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 21, 2015
    Portugal
    Wow, I can't believe I spent so long without trying this one out. This game is absolutely mesmerizing! I just feel like saying thank you to mi-clos studios for creating this absolute gem, yet I am weirdly out of words. Must be the days spent in isolation searching for Earth.

So many epic moments, I feel like I lived through an odyssey:

Attached Files:

15. Warriv

Warriv Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 21, 2015
    Portugal
    Yeah hype!!

I guess that means you can now stockpile humans in dead ships and rescue an obscene number of them :D

16. Dom1nat0R

Dom1nat0R Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2013
    when is the update coming out?

17. 9x16

9x16 Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    EST/EDT
    The first Multiverse update went live on Steam on October 12th. Someone asked about the iOS update and was told, "[w]e have issues with iOS 9 so it won't appear before [N]ovember I'm afraid." How you interpret that depends on how optimistic you are, I suppose.

18. 9x16

9x16 Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    EST/EDT
    The first Multiverse update is live on the US App Store.

19. Wammun

Wammun New Member

Jan 6, 2016
    I'm on an iPhone 6, iOS 9.2. Since today's update my ship has infinite resources. The resource bars show loss when used but are quickly refilled. There are also red 0's constantly flashing over the resource bars.