Universal Out There: Edition (by Mi-Clos Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Feb 26, 2014.

1. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Hmmm that's what the description says but that seems crazy high, surely it's just worded wrong?

2. Nachtfischer

Nachtfischer Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Game Designer
    Germany
    I think it just means 300 scenes. As in, 300 decision points.

3. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    That's seems much more reasonable.

4. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    By the way, kudos to Killer Cow for that great write-up on page 1 of this thread.

VERY nice...

5. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Thank you kind sir. I'm currently playing the final version and it's such a blast. With the awesome artwork and soundtrack you really feel "Out There".

6. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    OMG, I just had a quick play of this before I go to sleep and wow, I love choose your own adventure stuff to start with but this has the graphics and atmosphere to back it up and the managing resources... I could go on but I can see this keeping me busy for a while :D
    (I died after 20 mins and only a handful of planets in) :(
    Can't wait to play some more of this tomorrow.

7. killercow

This is something that i'd like to emphasize. This game is not for the faint of heart, it's quite tough and you'll always lack ressources. It's a game about tough choices and harsh survival in space, not a walk in the park so it was the creator's intention to set the difficulty bar quite high.

8. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #48 JCho133, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
    Good. I love super hexagon.

Jokes aside, I think the more difficult the better. It'll make the game last longer

9. Nachtfischer

Nachtfischer Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Game Designer
    Germany
    Sounds good, but how much of your failure can you attribute to skill vs. chance?

10. ImJPaul

ImJPaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    My question exactly.

11. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    I just had an hour and a quarter of pure awesomeness. Had 1 run where I discovered civilizations, changed ships (found the ship on the screens), found alien stuff, probed planets, talked to aliens, and much much more while listening to an amazing soundtrack. This game is so good. This game is really good.

WOW.

Hugely impressed. I highly recommend it to everyone.

12. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

This game badly needs a proofreader, otherwise, I love it.

13. killercow

#53 killercow, Feb 27, 2014
    That's actually a very good question. Sometimes, a bit like FTL, all your plans will be foiled because you lack chance. And sometimes luck will save the day! It's not heavily dependent on chance and your skills and choices will matter more but there's no denying that it plays a role.

Yeah I've spotted a few typos or weird sentences as well. I'll try to help Mi_Clos whenever I can.
    Be nice to him, he's french :D

14. christopherrocs

christopherrocs Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2013
    It looks really cool, but I don't know if its iPod 4 supported, and it's a lot of money #

15. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

No no, I assumed as much. A lot of the mistakes are very typical of non-native English speakers. I'm just saying, it'd be money well spent to send the game script over to someone for editing before the next update. Stuff like that goes a long way in a primarily text-based game.

16. killercow

I know what you meant and I completely agree :)

17. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Second run, this time only 15 minutes and didn't get near my other score of 19,000 but I had another completely awesome run and it was totally different from the first. Also discovered it has 48 achievements. Loving it. So much.

18. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    How long has your longest run been?

19. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    An hour and a quarter is my best run and I feel like I just scratched the surface but with the things I seen (some really cool stuff) I can say its incredibly deep. I work tomorrow and need to sleep now, but if I could, I would stay all night playing this. Right now my feelings is that Out There is an experience that should be enjoyed by every gamer.

If you look at the credits you can see it is not right there to start with. "ProoFreading".

Just to point it out, I dont really care about that, after all, English is not my native language too

20. CzechCongo

CzechCongo Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    #60 CzechCongo, Feb 27, 2014
    It looks like there's a fair bit of randomness, a roguelike in that respect and others. This isn't a pure strategy game.