Our next game - inapp purchase or one time purchase?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Therealtrebitsch, Nov 17, 2010.

?

What do you prefer?

1. Full price app with all functions and free updates even if more expensive

22 vote(s)
    91.7%
  2. Free game with inapp purchase for additional content

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. I never buy anything, just use free apps

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Therealtrebitsch

Therealtrebitsch Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    We are working on a 3D multiplayer deathmatch game for the iPad (iPhone version eventually also planned).

What would you prefer and why?

Free game with inapp purchase for maps, power ups, weapons and bonus features or a one time purchase with all items enabled and free updates?

Lets say, the paid version would cost $2.99 - $4.99 for the iPad and inapp items would cost $0.99 - $2.99

(prices not yet determined)

2. pavarotti2007

pavarotti2007 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    UK
    I personally hate IAP. I deinately prefer just to pay a fixed price at the initial purchase.

3. Tmonine

Tmonine Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Casual
    Australia
    I prefer to ply pay once to unlock everything, but I don't really mind if it is one big in-app payment or buying the game. Having it paid though will probably help your iTunes ratings as lots of people download free games without thinking then get annoyed that they have to pay for more stuff then leave stupid misleading reviews. I think a one time payment as you download the app is the way to go.

On a side note, please make any games universal as I'd rather pay once for a more expensive version than twice for two cheaper versions if the total price is more than the universal.

4. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I hate in app purchase!

The only way I would get a game with IAP would be if it was like skies of glory - you can actually play it without extra purchases, but you have the choice of buying better planes etc. Or even being able to buy campaign missions on it.

Basically though, no IAP! just a one off payment. I think that looks more professional and not like you're trying to rip off people.

5. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    People seem to hate IAPs but I like being able to try something for free before I pay for it. So, if you aren't going to release a lite I'd vote for the IAPs. It may also help you with preventing piracy.

6. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Full price please, especially for an online game. It's the way to go.

7. Therealtrebitsch

Therealtrebitsch Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Thank you guys.

You still can keep the comments and votes coming :)

There will be a free version for sure. We just don't know, if it should be a lite version or an IAP version :)

8. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    No IAP, No DLC!!!!