iPad Oubliette RPG

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by SJohnson064, Aug 27, 2010.

1. SJohnson064

SJohnson064 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2010
    #1 SJohnson064, Aug 27, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2010

Oubliette

GabySoft
    Oubliette is the classic multiplayer dungeon fantasy role playing game, finally available on the iPhone/iPod Touch. Bui…
    Free
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Oubliette is the classic multiplayer dungeon fantasy role playing game, finally available on the iPhone/iPod Touch. Build a party of fighters, priests, mages and thieves to run deep into the dungeon. Test your courage and skill against groups of orcs, trolls, vampires and dragons. Earning its reputation as the thinking man's dungeon game, Oubliette blends the thrill of mortal combat with the sublime challenges of strategy, planning and adaptation. Rather than testing your reaction speed and nerves, like a first person shooter, Oubliette challenges the player to do careful strategic planning as well as make tactical decisions in the heat of battle. Each player (character) in the game is created from one of eight player races, which vary in attributes such as strength, intelligence, dexterity and durability. Elves are highly intelligent and (potentially) immortal, Orcs are strong with short life spans, Dwarves are strong with high wisdom, Kobolds are quite weak in most areas but advance more quickly. Depending on these attributes, each player will be qualified to join a limited number of player classes (occupations). More balanced players will have more choices, including Hirebrand (fighter), Mage, Priest and Thief. Less commonly, players may be qualified for a highly selective class with special skills such as Ranger, Sage, Paladin, Samurai or Ninja. Unlike games which focus on a single player against multiple opponents, Oubliette allows a party of up to 10 players with complementary skills to face the various types of monsters found in the dungeon. There are more than 160 different monsters, and to deal with them, more than 150 different pieces of equipment, which may be enchanted with special properties or skills. Oubliette is challenging, but forgiving. New players commonly have their parties wiped out by an unfamiliar group of monsters. In fact, your party can meet up to 3 monster groups at the same time! Use the Temporal Chamber to save a Temporal Portal before dangerous trips. If things turn out badly, use the Temporal Chamber to turn back the clock and try again. The trapeze is every bit as thrilling, but safer, with a net below. If you are up to the challenge, Oubliette is free to download and play. Explore the easier levels of the dungeon to build your party and expertise. And then, when you are ready, feel the power of the game on the deeper levels. Onward to Glory!
    Information
    Seller:GabySoft
    Genre:Role Playing, Strategy
    Release:Aug 26, 2010
    Updated:May 27, 2015
    Version:2.3
    Size:58.6 MB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating:Unrated
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

2. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Here's the AppInfo:

Oubliette

GabySoft
    Oubliette is the classic multiplayer dungeon fantasy role playing game, finally available on the iPhone/iPod Touch. Bui…
    Free
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Oubliette is the classic multiplayer dungeon fantasy role playing game, finally available on the iPhone/iPod Touch. Build a party of fighters, priests, mages and thieves to run deep into the dungeon. Test your courage and skill against groups of orcs, trolls, vampires and dragons. Earning its reputation as the thinking man's dungeon game, Oubliette blends the thrill of mortal combat with the sublime challenges of strategy, planning and adaptation. Rather than testing your reaction speed and nerves, like a first person shooter, Oubliette challenges the player to do careful strategic planning as well as make tactical decisions in the heat of battle. Each player (character) in the game is created from one of eight player races, which vary in attributes such as strength, intelligence, dexterity and durability. Elves are highly intelligent and (potentially) immortal, Orcs are strong with short life spans, Dwarves are strong with high wisdom, Kobolds are quite weak in most areas but advance more quickly. Depending on these attributes, each player will be qualified to join a limited number of player classes (occupations). More balanced players will have more choices, including Hirebrand (fighter), Mage, Priest and Thief. Less commonly, players may be qualified for a highly selective class with special skills such as Ranger, Sage, Paladin, Samurai or Ninja. Unlike games which focus on a single player against multiple opponents, Oubliette allows a party of up to 10 players with complementary skills to face the various types of monsters found in the dungeon. There are more than 160 different monsters, and to deal with them, more than 150 different pieces of equipment, which may be enchanted with special properties or skills. Oubliette is challenging, but forgiving. New players commonly have their parties wiped out by an unfamiliar group of monsters. In fact, your party can meet up to 3 monster groups at the same time! Use the Temporal Chamber to save a Temporal Portal before dangerous trips. If things turn out badly, use the Temporal Chamber to turn back the clock and try again. The trapeze is every bit as thrilling, but safer, with a net below. If you are up to the challenge, Oubliette is free to download and play. Explore the easier levels of the dungeon to build your party and expertise. And then, when you are ready, feel the power of the game on the deeper levels. Onward to Glory!
    Information
    Seller:GabySoft
    Genre:Role Playing, Strategy
    Release:Aug 26, 2010
    Updated:May 27, 2015
    Version:2.3
    Size:58.6 MB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating:Unrated
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

3. KushyKush

KushyKush Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Why does it say multiplayer? I see no multiplayer features.

4. Kylescorpion

Kylescorpion Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    It Says it allows players to form a party etc

Anyways *tries*

5. This looks like it could go either way. Some decent graphics on display, which suggests some good design choices. But then, default built-in text display and cluttered UI says otherwise.

I also smell unmentioned DLC in here somewhere. Like maybe around those "deeper levels" it talks about.

6. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    The DLC appears to be in the form of "portals." Which, if I understand correctly, allow you to save your game. You get ten to start with, and I presume have to pay to save your game once you've run out. :rolleyes:

7. o_O

Well that's a definite pass.

8. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Looks ugly. and the UI is probably crap.

9. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    It acually wasn't too bad for a free game. Reminded me of something like an early 90s beta with some potential. I presumed it was released for free to get some feedback from players. Deleted as soon as I read about the DLC though; it would be a bit outrageous for a really polished game, but for this, I think the devs must be suffering from some kind of delusion at best.

10. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Actually the game automatically saves for you. If you are familiar with Diablo II it's like having 10 portal scrolls that last forever when you activate them. So if you die rather than starting from the beginning of the dungeon you can go to your last portal.

I still think it's stupid to pay for "Portal Scrolls" but I'll see how far I can get through the game without actually needing them. If the portal gems are absolutely necessary to succeed, then this game is a bust.

Wish me luck!

11. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    nvm I realized this game is not that great :p

12. Tel Prydain

Tel Prydain New Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Game Impressions

I can hardly believe how poorly received this game was.

Oubliette is actually a classic game from the 70s, that was remade in 1983, and has now remade again for iPhone/Android – it predates the Wizardry Series by several years - Which is just one reason that the range of classes, races and items on offer is so remarkable. It puts many modern RPGs to shame, so it's a bit stunning to think that the core of this game is older than most of its players.
    It’s nice to see that they have kept the original’s charm while adding additional content such as deeper levels in the dungeon, secret rooms and a final battle. The game itself is simple, but it’s well implemented and the party/character building is spot on.
    While, on iOS, you pay for crystals that let you save the game, it's worth pointing out that the original didn't let you save the game at all. As such it's not like you need to use the feature.

Any fan of Eye of the Beholder, Dungeon Master or party-based rogue-likes will be at home here, as Oubliette is able to blend the best of both.
    One nice thing about Ouellette is the rogue influence means getting party wiped is both expected and inevitable – but not a hassle. Rolling a new party is quick, fun and easy. It’s something that even the classic team-based first-person RPGs don’t really have - the feeling of creeping and impending doom.
    It’s entertaining for a brand new group to set out, perhaps with the one grizzled, battle scared survivor from the previous group – no doubt telling horror stories and freaking the newbies out.
    Eight races, ten classes, multiple guilds and a truly random character creation system, means that each new group is fresh and exciting. For a truly unique adventure, try rolling one character of each race, and take the first one you roll of each - it won't be easy, but it will be fun!

Combat is simple, but satisfying. Battles play out in real time - select a character to choose an action (attack, cast spell, use item, etc) and that character will go into cool down, after which you can select a new action. Thankfully, your front rank of fighters can be ordered to auto-attack to allow you to focus on the spell casting.
    When entering combat, the game lets you see the stats and attacks of your foes before letting you set a combat speed. Obviously a slower speed will give you more time to cast spells on harder groups, while the highest speed lets you zip through low-level encounters. It's a nice system that lets you take your time with tough battles without making easy battles a boring grind.
    While it might not seem very complex, the strategy really comes when weighing up the risks and rewards – do you use your spells/potions or will you need them later? You can't rest to recover spells in the dungeon, so careful management is a must. Things can get tense during harder battles, trying to balance your group's survivability vs the resources you'll need to make it home.
    And once you get home you'll find resting to recover spells costs money for the inn. It means you have to find a certain amount of gold if you want to break even - and makes you want to try 'just one more battle' before heading home. If you're strapped for cash you could rest in the streets, but hard living like that will prematurely age your characters, which can lead to stat loss (or, if they get too old, death).

There is room for improvement.
    One change I'd like to see, if the developer was to consider an all new Oubliette II, is Eye of the Beholder style side quests and puzzles added in the mix. I'd also like them to consider a different party formation - at the moment the group is in a 2x5 column with only the first rank in hand-to-hand combat, but I'd love to see a 9x9. It would be nice if the casters had a 'repeat' option too. Lastly I'd like to see ranged weapons implemented.
    Having said all that, I'd like to see those things in the context of a sequel or 'remix'. The current game is a pretty faithful remake of the original and I think that's something worth preserving.

Considering how easy they would be to port, I’m shocked (and somewhat annoyed) that there haven’t been any Might & Magic or Eye of the Beholder ports on the market – but Oubliette is easily the best alternative I’ve seen.