Universal OTTTD - (by SMG Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 21, 2014.

1. Wiarumas

Wiarumas Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2014
    I'd recommend this to all fans of the genre. The gameplay itself isn't anything revolutionary, but it avoids the just another tower defense category by its originality, polish, and not taking itself seriously (entrails all over the map, sharks with friggin lasers).

Easily worth the price. Not sure if its enough to convert those who dislike TD though. Maybe if the sense of humor appeals to you.

Anyone know how to respec units?

2. genie77

genie77 New Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Meh it's ok, for a while. I am getting bored of it quickly. Not enough levels, no cloud save.
    Great gfx though, love giblets everywhere!

3. machine56

machine56 Well-Known Member

May 23, 2014
    level cap is 99.

4. paendamonium

paendamonium Active Member

Feb 5, 2014
    Is 99 enough to cap all the skills?

5. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Congrats on the Silver award from Pocket Gamer!

6. SMG Studio

SMG Studio Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Level cap is 99, and that would fill about two thirds of a hero's skill ranks (slightly varies per class).

By the end-game your most used heroes might be around lvl 17-20 or so, or a bit more if you replayed a lot of levels.

We've tried to leave head room so that when levels are added to the game, your heroes will still be getting steadily more badass.

From the few posts asking about respec - seems like that a feature some would use? We'll looking at some way of addressing that in the future. In the mean time if you have skill questions, please ask away!

For any saying there aren't enough levels - there'll be more, and also, what level are you on? from around 12 onwards they are become a fair amount longer, and much more challenging.

7. SMG Studio

Mar 9, 2014
    thanks! their "wallowing in daftness" line made me laugh.

The difficulty comment was interesting as well, we see the full spectrum of players - some are struggling on level 3 or 4, for others too easy. It's hard to find the balance. I'm fairly sure almost everyone (I hope anyway) will find the second half of the game quite challenging. It becomes more and more important to put a squad together that covers certain rolls and gives a good mix of skills.

8. paendamonium

paendamonium Active Member

Feb 5, 2014
    I would say the difficulty feels pretty good; About level 10 it has started taking multiple attempts per level to learn the mob pattern and figure out a strategy, but it's never felt too difficult.

Suggestions:
    - a skill respec option. For free or gold, but even for gems. Especially given that some active skills are way up in heroe's trees, it would be great to be able to try skills without feeling penalized if it turns out we don't want to use them
    - a speed up option; especially for replaying levels, being able to speed up the action would be great
    - a pause option that still allows playing; that is minor a minor request, since I understand from an RTS perspective the real time decisions are important from a balance and tactical perspective

9. dukat111

dukat111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    How do you beat level 8?

I beat the first 7 levels without a problem but 8 is wrecking me.
    I tried various tower combinations to no success. Near the end I get swarmed with units, can't kill them fast enough.

I haven't upgraded any hero weapons yet but I can't imagine they'd make the difference when I get swarmed.

10. Rendous

Rendous Active Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Really enjoying this game so far! Don't be put off too much by the dual currency as both gold and gems can be earned by earning 3 stars on repeatable maps. Yes, it may require a little grinding, but it certainly makes the iap unnecessary. Also, while saving up coins and gems you'll be leveling up heroes so that's always something to look forward to.

If I may make a few suggestions:
    - an encyclopedia or information page of some sort regarding enemies encountered, heroes/towers unlocked, planets/quadrants/maps discovered, and the like.
    - i would also like to chime in on the ability to respec by whichever means you think is suitable, but perhaps also make the skill trees completely visible? For those that like to plan their heroes ahead, that may save on the need to respec, or at least help them aim for a goal for their soldier.
    - someone mentioned earlier about the ability to initiate the first wave manual, and I whole-heartedly agree as it would allow for tactical surveying of the map and strategizing placement for towers and heroes.
    - perhaps a small popup window with some information as to the tower we will place/upgrade. hold down the icon and the info window would appear. I am currently on stage 10 and unlocked some sort of cone-nozzle tower that shoots out numerous missiles like one of the rocketeer's upgrades. The thing is, is that I don't know if they are exactly like the rocketeer's weapon or more like countermeasures for the cactus. I believe there was a tool tip that said they were countermeasures but I blinked and don't know how to view it again (i probably am looking in the wrong menus for tower info!).

This is a fantastic game and have been playing it almost solely since it release. My suggestions are just some QOL points and by no means detract from my enjoyment in the game. Thank you devs for this game! For those still on the fence, I really think you should give it a shot. You won't be disappointed.

v/r

11. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    This.

;)

12. NOFX

NOFX Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Always awesome to see the devs on here! I can't believe the level cap is 99! It's going to take me forever to max my characters. Thank you devs for making this game playable offline! It's raining hard and my internet is down so 2/3rds of my apps are useless. So thank you soo much! I totally agree about resetting skill points, it's a much needed addition. I know what I say next is going to be very unpopular but I really would appreciate it if there were more to buy with coins or gems. I'm super appreciative that this game isn't structured as a cash grab but I'd love to have more things to buy with in game currency other than just weapons. Perhaps let us convert coins earned into gold for building towers in game. Or perhaps some other "over the top" special one time use items. I'm obsessed with nukes in games ;) hint hint. Plus it seems there's quite a few people stuck at various points in the game. Besides it gives us generous souls a way to give back to you devs through IAPs. Especially since you guys put together such an awesome game! Have a great Memorial Day weekend devs and everyone in the touch arcade community! Take care everyone

13. optykal

optykal Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Most fun I have had on a TD style game in awhile. Finished the whole thing over the weekend. IAP not needed at all, they are more than fair with currency IMO. I did buy some coins out of support to the dev however. In terms of balancing as well, the shield makes the game way to easy. Maxed shield and rockets pretty much means you don't lose. Great game however and look forward to more levels and heroes. Also respec would be awesome!

14. coccodrillo

coccodrillo Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2012
    How is game balancing after the update?

I'm still hesitating to buy the game...

15. SMG Studio

Mar 9, 2014
    Hey coccodrillo, we submitted 1.04 pre launch but it didn't clear in time for the 22nd. It streamlines the early levels, and provides additional tips and info for new towers to make the roles a bit clearer.

We've taken the rocket OP comments on board and we'll address that asap with adjustments and probably some changes to levels. We're also working on a content update but if we can get smaller tweaks out first we'll do that also.

@NOFX - nukes would be fun, we had the same idea, so.. who knows :)
    Another item might be a way to sub a dead hero for a reserve hero, if that's something people would use.

@Rendous - the encyclopaedia is something we're working on in the near future . Same with tower popups.

@dukat111 - kill the shark! the sooner, the easier.

@paendamonium - possibly meet half way with a hero skill to slow or freeze time?

16. machine56

machine56 Well-Known Member

May 23, 2014
    for the Dev's, if its not too much. please consider to add the "x2" speed button option on the corner of the screen when the battle begins, and make some more exp rewards when people finished the round with the x2 speed options.

thank you my good sir. now im late for my deadline because of this game, waste amazing lots of hours on this game!

17. Zunda

Zunda Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2014
    Seems like the recon, assault and bombardier's skills are adjusted in this update. Have they got nerfed or buffed? I'm sorry, but I'd like to pass this update till I beat the rest 5 missions if they've got nerfed.

As for x2 speed button, I think it's not necessary because this game always keeps you really busy.

18. Mr Awesome

Mr Awesome New Member

May 25, 2014
    Been lurking TA for long time, had to join to say to the developers that this game is cool! I'm loving it so much. Has a really different feel from any tower defense game I've ever played

19. the goat king

the goat king Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Does "not compatible with iPhone 4" also mean not for the 4S?

20. Stingy Tower

Stingy Tower Member

May 25, 2014
    Why anyone would ask for a 2x speed button is beyond me. The game already lags a lot for me whenever enemies simultaneously die. It's not that I dislike the idea of the corpses piling up, but if it makes the game harder to play then no. I don't think it lags because it's a 3d TD, TowerMadness plays perfectly fine as a 3d TD.