Universal OTTTD - (by SMG Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 21, 2014.

1. Deixa

Deixa Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    I like the look of this but the gameplay looks random. I have played,

Gem Keeper
    Tower Defence
    Field Runners 2
    Elf Defence
    Anomaly 1 & 2 (I know it's an offence game)
    Kingdom Rush Frontiers

So what makes this OTT special and worth getting?

2. Tonk Montana

Tonk Montana Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Bought to support Aussie Indie Developers. Exams coming up but hopefully I will have some down time to try this out and leave impressions...can't wait.

3. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    First of all, thanks for replying!

OK I might have come across harsh even though I've only beat level 8 so I can't be sure if I'll hit a paywall or not, but I think having 2 currencies in a game which isn't intended to be F2P, is bad. It also sends a bad message.
    If a hero dies, and you want it to be meaningful, charge a few coins and get rid of those gems. Although I think that losing your hero for the round is meaningful enough. No need to charge for him afterwards for a "revive".

As for the weapons, I can of course only judge the game as is and not to what's coming. Usually, in most games, by the end of the game you expect to have beefed up your characters.

But I do hope the game does well and that those pesky gems are removed. As I wrote before, the core gameplay is fun, the presentation is cool and I just love those persistent body parts - the field of play is just hilarious at the end of a round.

4. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#64 Bronxsta, May 22, 2014
    Last edited: May 22, 2014
    My two cents: So far I feel the game is very balanced. But I agree about this and if anything, I really hope you remove hero revives from the PC version especially and the IOS version as well. Look at XCOM. Having an incapacitated soldier is tense and nerve wracking and requires you to change your strategy. Same here. Revives are just so...mobile and take any tension out of "losing" a hero. Why should we even be worried about that if we can just revive our hero? I agree, losing a here should be meaningful. Revives just remove any meaningful mpact from losing a hero

Losing a hero should not be able to be skipped with a revive. Heros should be out of action for a round or two (I'd prefer a mission or two), forcing the player to try new strategies and try other heroes they wouldn't have usually used.

Also what are the requirements for star ratings? Completing levels faster?

5. BlazeLee

BlazeLee Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2010
    singapore
    I would like to support the aussie developers as well. Gaming should never be limited by funds too drastically. I wanted to play test it but didn't have the chance.

Will buy now! Hope this game is profitable and do make more so we can have good barbies!

6. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Agreed. I'm struggling to enjoy this so far (4 maps in) because I'm not picking up on much of a strategy element to it which I think is due to the frantic nature of the gameplay.

It's a very well made game and this absolutely isn't a criticism of it in itself I just don't think it's for me. I like to plan and place towers but so far I'm just finding myself almost randomly placing stuff.

7. SMG Studio

SMG Studio Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2014
    GiHubb, Bronxsta - thanks for taking the time to give thorough feedback :)

We thought about coins for revives but then you're working against weapon unlocks much more which complicates. Also just want to note in case it's not obvious - if you leave them alone (use another hero), they revive without spending. When I play the game (in later levels, at least), I normally just swap a dead hero and they're good to go again after a couple missions.

The original plan for the game was actually total permadeath. We would have probably had heroes level more rapidly, but dead is dead. And then have some kind of "tavern" type thing you'd draw new recruits from.

In the end we liked the constant introduction of new team members - ensures you see them all and they play into the larger campaign sequence.

As for PC/Mac version Bronxsta, not sure it'll have any kind of transaction system at all, but we'll get some play testers on it and figure out a good approach.

thanks for the kind words too.. it's been a rollercoaster day wathcing people react to it!

8. Bronxsta

Wouldn't mind seeing a permadeath option in the PC version. I know the Breach & Clear devs added a PC-exclusive permadeath mode to their game

9. SMG Studio

SMG Studio Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Kinda like Diablo's optional hardcore mode. could work!

10. Bronxsta

So I'm on the fifth mission and I'm really enjoying OTTTD. Many times, I find TD games a tad boring because of the hands-off nature of the gameplay. Games like Kingdom Rush, Castle Doombad, Sentinel, the Anomaly games changed up the formula by providing more interactive elements. OTTTD follows in the footsteps of those games by mixing TD with RTS mechanics. Directing your heroes, using abilities breathes life into the action due to your direct control on the battlefield; the varied heroes and numerous weapon/skill loadouts allow for a wide range of strategies. But while the gameplay is fun and definitely OTT, it's the visuals and silly nature of the game that I find most charming. The graphics are vivid and colorful and the crazy enemies and humorous descriptions of weapons, heroes, skills makes the experience stand out from others in the genre.

Like a few others have said, I would like an option to slow or pause time, to allow for the player to better plan what turrets to place or maybe even queue up movements and skills use for your heroes.

Can't wait for the planned updates. This is a great game. I definitely recommend it

11. Rendous

Rendous Active Member

Jun 21, 2013
    #72 Rendous, May 22, 2014
    Engi hero's name: Stellar Cakes

10/10

Will play again.

On a more serious note, I'm having an absolute blast so far playing this game! Can I request an option to turn off battlefield clutter? As the body count gets high the game tends to slow down a bit (iPad mini 1G, latest iOS ver., rebooted after DL). That dolphin meat doesn't seem to pack itself lol.

This game is like if Starcraft, and Warcraft III had a TD party, and decided to do it on a touchscreen. This game got me to realize that I enjoy hero TD's with it's skill trees, and equipment upgrades, and tower upgrades. Oh, and squad control! Get some!

12. Wrath

Wrath Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Seattle
    Love the graphics and especially how the icons when you go to upgrade towers are large and easy to read - that's great to see!

However, (and I might be missing something here not having bought the game yet), but after reading so many comments about frantic game action and a need to slow or pause things down - I've watched many videos including the hour+ video of gameplay and my first thought was, where is the 2x, 3x speed option?? Maybe I'm just used to playing TD games on faster speed, but unless this game has the option to speed up, then it has so many of some of thee slowest moving enemies I've ever seen for a TD game! I wonder what level you have to reach for it to get that crazy to need to slow things down, because an hour into the gameplay video I didn't see it...

13. paendamonium

paendamonium Active Member

Feb 5, 2014
    I'm only at level 5, so it is possible that the answer will be revealed later, but I wanted to ask: is it possible to respec heroes?

14. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    #75 GiHubb, May 22, 2014
    Oh I didn't realize that! That's actually a perfect solution in my opinion. Let them be out for a round so you get to play with other heroes.
    Would still ditch the gems as some weapons cost coins and gems which goes against what you said in that you wanted gems to fund seperate items like the revive. It feels very freemiumie which isn't something your paid game benefits from.
    Still have concerns about the balancing of the towers as rockets seem way more efficient than the others. But will have to play further to make a call on that :)
    What I really liked on Kingdom Rush was that each tower had its place and use. There wasn't one king tower.

15. Bronxsta

Also, what I was saying is why are revives needed in the first place? It just allows people to skip over the strategic consequences of losing a hero.

16. InkyTheGhost

InkyTheGhost Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2012
    NYC
    Loving this game. I only wish I had the ability to call in the first wave. That's probably why some folks feel like they are placing towers randomly.

17. diegohostettler

diegohostettler Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2014
    So far I'm really enjoying this. Only downside is that I hate to micromanage the turrets health;)

18. Bronxsta

#79 Bronxsta, May 22, 2014
    Been playing for about 2+ hours and still loving it, but my main criticism/feedback is with the weapons. I feel like there are too many and they don't feel that distinct. They look cool and different and each does progressively more damage, but I kind of wish the weapons were structured more like the towers. So maybe less weapons, like three or four per hero, but you could upgrade the weapons and they had branching firing modes.

I doubt stuff like this is feasible now, but just something to think about

19. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Woah, chill out Bronxsta, that's a little over the top.