Universal OTTTD - (by SMG Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 21, 2014.

1. InkyTheGhost

InkyTheGhost Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2012
    NYC
    This is going to be awesome. The only instabuy this week for me.

2. This is definitely a cool game. I would highly recommend it!

3. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #23 JCho133, May 21, 2014
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
    A cool screen from the end of a stage. Active hero abilities are on the left (can only equip 2 abilities at a time, but can bring 3 heroes into a level. I didn't bring a 3rd this time.)

Highly recommended. It's like Kingdom Rush + Battleheart with a sci-fi theme. Lots of great humor.

Every hero (all 9) has a big skill trees with 20 skills to level up. I think 5 active skills each, the rest are passives. Loads of guns for heroes, with armor systems coming soon.

Tower upgrades work like kingdom rush, level it up 3 times then one of two specialized upgrades can be bought.

Currency is earned fast, don't worry about the IAPs. Very unnecessary, Forsaken Media style.

Definitely pick this up.

Thanks for letting me beta test!

Attached Files:

4. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Haha, haven't you heard of Doge?

5. darnoc703

darnoc703 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2013
    It's from a internet "doge" trend

6. I heard of a ios game called Doge Simulator, is it related?

7. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    #27 GiHubb, May 21, 2014
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
    The game has 2 currencies: coins and gems which are required to upgrade the heroes' weapons. Seems like a freemium game that costs money. Will wait for impressions but selling these currencies in packs, with "most popular" on the expensive ones is never a good sign.

8. BryLoW

BryLoW Member

May 25, 2010
    Never has a sentence made me reach for my wallet faster.

9. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I played through a good chunk of the game in beta (several hours worth) and the sense of progression seemed very reasonable. According to the developer, the balancing of the release version is consistent with what was in the betas. I am confident that this will not be a paymium ripoff and also that the game will be well received here.

10. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Pretty decent. I liked what I have seen so far.Seem to offer enough Content also I kinda hope that there is somewhere a more deeper Store Plot envolving at some later point in the Game.

11. Gamingvideo

Gamingvideo Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Sweden
  12. gamerpro2134

gamerpro2134 Member

Apr 14, 2012
    Somewhat, Doge Simulator is based off the Meme

13. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    It's really premium balanced. Prices aren't ridiculous and currency is earned at a good rate.

14. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

On another forum, I learned there are four towers that can upgraded multiple times. Does that feel limited? Or with the heroes and equipment, there's a nice amount of tactics?

15. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I would assume this game relies a lot on heroes since they have their own weapons and multiple ones can be used so that may be why there's less towers. I will be getting this soon so I'll be playing it to find out!

16. Bronxsta

I don't think this trailer was posted yet. It's great

17. SMG Studio

SMG Studio Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Hey guys, thanks for checking this out! It's been an epic year getting the game to this point so we hope people enjoy it :)

here's some info about some things that have been brought up:

- yes there are GC achievements
    - there are 12 tower types that all behave uniquely, divided among 3 damage types that become very strategically important. The last tower type is unlocked on level 12 (one new bit of tech per level)
    - from level 5 onwards, you have a team of three heroes - one new class every odd numbered level, so the seventh and final class joins your squad on level 13. Once you have four or more classes unlocked you'll be deciding which three heroes will join you on each level.

- as for iAP, we HOPE all players will agree they are absolutely non-essential. That's certainly the feedback we got from our testers including many from TA. Your heroes will be more powerful with better weapons (of course), but XP/levelups over time will make them far more powerful, and there's no iAP for XP shortcuts.

By the mid game, it's all about experimenting with different configurations of the hero squad you take into battle, and finding your own play style. The right combination of active skills is the most important element.

Many thanks!

18. Bronxsta

Is there an endless mode or plans for one? Seems like there are tons of possibilities with towers and heroes and equipment

Also any estimate when the PC version will be available?

19. SMG Studio

SMG Studio Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Yeah endless is definitely planned - we're working on an endless system per level (semi procedural), in addition to extra levels and a third tileset in the works.

The PC/Mac version is almost done, it just needs a few more control tweaks so it doesn't feel like a mobile port.

20. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    #40 L.Lawliet, May 22, 2014
    Last edited: May 22, 2014
    Just tried for about 15 minutes. Pretty awesome game. It probably has the best / prettiest graphics I've seen for a TD. I guess there may be some more detailed ones out there but I love this style.

Fighting is fun and can get hectic because not only are the enemies hilarious but they all drop guts and bones when killed, filling up the screen. However this game runs not too smooth on my 5G but I kind of expected that. Input time is slightly laggy but still playable. I do hope Kingdom Rush can do mechanics like this in KR2 for their heroes, it's pretty in-depth for a TD.

Aside from that, I do think the heroes need some more variation? I think they're great and they're going for a goofy space marine style but I feel like they all look too similar. I like the "cool" style like the guy with a full face helmet but everyone else either looks like a geek or a super buff soldier. Reminds me a bit like Gears of War where all the main characters almost looked the same. Anyhow, just my input.

Overall: An amazing and beautiful TD experience that best shines on the newest Apple devices.