Ossian Studios - The Shadow Sun Announced

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by simulated, Sep 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Ok, as I said, my excuses, hope we're good then.

But isn't the Unity engine a bit outdated today? Or is Unity constantly updated?
    I always thought that a lot of devs are looking down on Unity and are amused.

By judging by the screenshots, the engine must be quite powerful.

2. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    it gets updated constantly, in fact, there is a big update coming out soon, which should enhance things a little more.
    I'm sure they are going to try their best to push the limit like Epic has, and the sooner, the better!

3. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I think the Unity engine has a bad reputation because lot's of small indie developers use it to produce all kinds of crappy 3D games for a relatively low cost. However in the right hands, it can be put to good use. Games like Samurai 1 & 2, and Aralon show just how powerful it can be.

4. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    I see, thanks for the information.

I guess a tool is always more powerful in the hands of an experienced wielder.

5. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #65 Vovin, Dec 11, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2010

No. The Galoobeth Games devs used the engine to create Aralon.

And who is that?

6. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Answer is - we both use Unity! :)

7. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

Well Josh/Crescent Moon Games also uses Unity in all their games...

8. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #68 Vovin, Dec 11, 2010
    :D

I know now... but as far as I remember, Galoobeth created the core games before you got interested in this project and contacted them.
    But it is cool that you're both using the same engine, that's a lot more collected knowledge.

I just visited the Galoobeth Games website again and have to admit, that Aralon is the most promising 3D RPG I ever saw on handheld consoles. Finally a game that's similar to Oblivion, Gothic or Two Worlds.

Did you also add some hidden stuff? Because I love to explore and discover dungeons or other secret areas... in Gothic 1, I think I turned every blood stone upside down. ;)

9. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    wow this is way off topic!
    but yes, they did.

10. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #70 Vovin, Dec 11, 2010

Oh, yeah, sorry... that should belong to the Aralon thread.

About Shadow Sun... I already like the setting, and even if I love fantasy worlds, I also like to play games like Mass Effect, and Steampunk or Post-Apocalyptic settings. And this setting reminds me heavily of the D&D Dark Sun world.
    But I also love to see what the devs are meaning by being inspired of "Loftcraft horrors", which are content of the game. :)

11. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    #71 tsharpfilm, Dec 11, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
    While everyone was all excited about Infinity Blade and Aralon, The Shadow Sun remained, and still remains at the top of my "frothing like a lunatic, must have!" list. The story description pulled me in like a tractor beam. And with games like Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's Gate II on their resume, it is very likely that The Shadow Sun will be a refined gaming experience free of any out of place MC Hammer jokes. Oh well... I guess we'll have to wait until 2011 sometime for this to come out.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but I found a recent Interview.

An Interview with Ossian Studios Alan Miranda and Luke Scull

12. Alienmario

Alienmario Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    gaming! lol
    idk udk
    there is one more interview.
    I suggest going here (official site) where you can learn more about the game. there are also forums so you can ask them. I think it would be perfect if CM teamed up with them

13. Dahak

Dahak Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Library circulation rep
    Beaufort, SC
    Thanks for the link. I don't know if it has been posted before, but I had not previously read it.

I'm really looking forward to both this and Aralon. Honestly, I don't think we can have enough Western RPGs on the platform. Although one could think of them as competitors, I suspect most people who would buy one will buy the other (much as seems to be the case with purchasers of Bethesda and BioWare RPGs).

I have to ask...what game had the MC Hammer joke?

14. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    I would buy both, but I'm probably 1 out of 3 people who are still on the fence about Aralon. I'll probably have my mind made up after TouchArcade and SlideToPlay post their reviews.

Ravensword. >_< Some guy in the game early on said something like "You know what time it is? Hammer time!" I literally said Noooooo outloud at that.

15. Dahak

Dahak Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Library circulation rep
    Beaufort, SC
    lol. I completely forgot about that (*cough*blockeditout*cough*), but yes I know the part.

16. Alan Miranda

Alan Miranda Well-Known Member

Yes, we do in fact use Unity 3 – it’s mentioned on our website and in some interviews about The Shadow Sun.

We found Unity an excellent choice for a licensable technology, and it’s far from an outdated tech, as Vovin was wondering about. Even though you don’t have access to the source code with the standard licenses, the Unity 3 editor offers a lot of solid features to make a great game. The alternative would have been for Ossian to create its own engine, but the industry has emerged into a time where affordable yet powerful licensable technology is available, so it makes a lot of sense to use it instead of spending many months/years developing a proprietary one. It allows us to focus on the game experience instead of the engine’s nuts and bolts. LBG is absolutely right – a good team can use Unity 3 to make something amazing.

@Vovin – It sounds like you really like hidden stuff. I do too, and we’ll have plenty of that in The Shadow Sun. :) And as for our setting, having worked with D&D/Forgotten Realms for so many years, we wanted to do something different and with a unique flavour. A lot of care has been taken with the game’s art style, to make sure its exotic vibe is emphasized across the board, from architecture, to armours/clothing, to weapons, and right down to emblems and reliefs on the walls.

@Dahak – I completely agree. Just as on other platforms, there’s plenty of room for multiple games of the same genre, in this case Western RPGs. I’ll be buying ME3 and Skyrim too, and I’m sure I’m going to love playing both!

17. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    that would be Russ's twisted humor. :p

18. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    When is your game coming out?

19. Welcome to TA! :D

How far into the game are you guys, and do you have an estimated release date and pricing yet?

20. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Hi Alan,
    Sorry to crash your party here - but want to say that I'm really looking forward to your game as well - and seeing what you guys can do with the Unity Engine. Honestly its nice to see some RPG's heating up the charts right now - I hope the trend continues!
    -Josh