Ossian Studios - The Shadow Sun Announced

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by simulated, Sep 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Finally! I hope it lives up to the hype and expectations

2. macatron

macatron Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Awesome!! Can't wait to mash the "Buy" button!! :D

3. Deadpan

Deadpan Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Yes! Been waiting for this since I got my first iPhone.

Any ideas on pricing yet?

4. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    All rejoice! ;)
    Added to calendar.

5. mattmanp

mattmanp Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Still no word on price yet?

6. HansKaosu

HansKaosu Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2013
    These guys did Neverwinter Nights: Darkness over Daggerford and Neverwinter Nights 2: Mysteries of Westgate premium modules.. Im so excited.. as a RPG buff this made my Xmas. <3

7. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Read some posts and still rofl about post #16...your wait is over, man !

Hoping for an introduction price at $5 (before the raise to full $8) ?
    Since i like this mystical oriental scenario, but not my genre at all, though.

8. Singer

Singer Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Screen iPhone 5 :)

Attached Files:

9. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    So excited!!!!!!!!! Really want to play this right now!!

10. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    Looks incredible! :D

11. Alan Miranda

Alan Miranda Well-Known Member

The hands-on previews are just starting to come out with their initial thoughts on the game!

Slide To Play
    “Action-RPG fans should clear their gaming schedule, because The Shadow Sun is big, impressive, and full of stuff to do.”
    http://www.slidetoplay.com/previews/the-shadow-sun-hands-on-preview/

RPGFan
    “Thus far, The Shadow Sun is proving to be a solid iOS RPG. The gameplay is fun, the atmosphere is distinct, and the storyline holds promise.”
    http://www.rpgfan.com/previews/The_Shadow_Sun/index.html

Gear Diary
    “If all of this has you saying ‘wait .. this sounds like a REAL RPG’, then you are right! The Shadow Sun is the first ‘made for iOS’ game that feels more like its own game and less like a clone of something else.”
    http://geardiary.com/2013/12/13/the-shadow-sun-hands-on-coming-december-19th-we-go-hands-on/

Click the links to read more!

12. coderkid

coderkid Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Holy crap I think that's the millionth time in this thread someone has mentioned something about dynamic shadows.

13. Alan Miranda

@Sidgoku123 - We were forced to upgrade to Unity 4 very late in our development cycle (after our extended summer beta) in order to properly support iOS 7 and the new devices. So while it’s true that Unity 4 comes with dynamic shadows, we aren’t using them. You see, it’s not a switch that you just flick on to get awesome shadows, where character shadows are projected onto the ground, onto walls, onto all the props (crates, barrels, etc.). That would require changing many of our area shaders and re-testing to make sure everything worked correctly. Given that the Unity upgrade already broke the occlusion culling in practically all our areas, requiring over 5 weeks to fix, revamping the shaders as well would have been too heavy a load. We would want them done properly and not just toss them in so we can say we “have” them. We’ll look at that in an update. Four years is long enough – we have to ship the game at some point! :)

14. Alan Miranda

Ahhh, I think I see the confusion here. We do say “dynamic lighting on the characters” in our feature list, but that’s not the same thing as dynamic shadows – technically, they are two different things. Dynamic lighting involves shining the lighting from light sources onto the character to change the lighting on the character in real-time (like the sun, torches, spell effects, etc.). That’s what we have. Using those light sources to project a shadow onto the ground in the shape of the character, and that changes direction and size, is what is called real-time shadows. That we don’t have (for the reasons explained earlier). But I should add, we do have projected character shadows on the ground, they’re just not dynamic ones.

15. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    Do they appear in blob shape(like the one shown in pictures) or still show the character shape(but not dynamic aka bake shadow?)

16. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    I completely agree that dynamic shadows would look great, but could you please cut these guys some freakin slack?!? Heck, they just finished up a four year project (including the Unity 4 set back), and people are already requesting features before the game is even officially released! SMH. Barring what I said above, at the end of the day, I could care less if they ever add dynamic shadows. If the game's story is solid (as I'm sure it is), then I'm sure it will sell on that merit alone. To prove my point, just look at how well Baldur's Gate is doing in the AppStore. It's an old game (without dynamic shadows), and people STILL downloaded it will all of its random bugs and issues because they knew the story was worth it (something that can't be said about a lot of games these days). In the end, give the game a chance as it is upon release. I'm sure that between the excellent lore and back story you'll never even notice the shadows. :D

17. MrSpud

MrSpud Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Custom finishing carpenter
    Wasaga beach, Ontario, Canada
    And I'm 'sure' that you never played the game, but somehow you know all that :confused: That is some impressive blind faith.

18. bored2death

bored2death Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2013
    As if dynamic shadows are going to make this game sooooo much better. The game looks great as it is. Must we really request graphical improvements before it's initial release. After all this time at least it's coming out unlike ANOTHER GAME which I've been waiting for since in had a 3g.its been so long I seem to have FORGOTTEN.cant seem to have any MEMORIES of it.

19. unicowz

unicowz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2013
    alan, does this game have ipod 4 support? instabuying if yes :D

20. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Not bothered by these shadows. Won't make the game better for me but the filesize might be larger.

Any idea what the size is though? I'll start clearing some space !