OS3.0 glitch: 12 app pages

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Crypton, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Crypton

Crypton Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Germany
    I've discovered a glitch in the OS3.0. Somehow I got 12 app pages from time to time. Normally after I restart my iPod Touch.
    I move the build-in apps Weather, Stocks, Voice Memo, Contacts, Video and Music off the 11th page to make some room for additional apps. After a power-cycle the Voice-Notes App pops into the first app page and moves the last app of the first page to a new page, creating now 12 app pages.

Did anyone experience the same?

Attached Files:

2. Crypton

Jan 28, 2009
    Germany
    Besides spaming about your way to get free stuff... what has your reply to do with the actual thread?

I was asking if anyone has experienced this too.
    I still have to test if this allows for 13 or more app pages... :)

3. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Actually, I've heard that you can go over 11 pages of apps, you just have to search for them with spotlight, but haven't heard of an actual 12th page 'til now.

4. eggrolls11

eggrolls11 Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    That is so beast.

The exact same thing also happened when i upgraded to OS 3.0.

5. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Doesn't the 3GS have more pages than 11?

I was sure I read somewhere that it did due to it's higher processing power able to load all the icons.

So maybe the 2g touch is supposed to be getting a bump since it used to be the fastest but the glitches in 3.0 might prevent it from happening.

In the beta build on 3.0 there was a redeem button in the appstore. It was in the version that was available to download but then it magically disappeared one day

6. Crypton

Jan 28, 2009
    Germany
    #6 Crypton, Jun 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
    Well the 12th page is only available if I move the build-in apps over the edge of the 11th page and then sync or reboot!
    Other apps are just doodeling in the nirvana, never to be seen again (as it was possible in 2.2.1)....
    But as my screens are filling I'm going to try to get to 13 pages :)

EDIT: The redeem button is still there. I redeemed a code last week on my iPod using copy&paste :)

7. weedeatinflyincougar

weedeatinflyincougar Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    for me its there on the itunes store, but the redeem button disappeared off the app store (the stores on my ipod)

8. Crypton

Jan 28, 2009
    Germany
    The redeem button is in the iTunes app, not the appstore app!

9. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    It's supposed to be in both.

in the 3.0GM build the "update" button of the appstore was a "more" button. It also let you edit the buttons at the bottom of the appstore. No matter what the icons always reset to the default though.

Right before 3.0 was out for everyone to get the "more" button disappeared and became update.

It's a glitch in the 3.0 firmware that it isnt there anymore... unless the glitch was that it was STILL there and shouldn't have been...

10. Crypton

Jan 28, 2009
    Germany
    13 pages now :)

Its now 13 pages of apps :) on a non-jb iPod Touch.
    Done the same way as I described it in the first post.

Attached Files:

11. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Washington
    Do you move just one of the apps or all of the built in apps?

I have 12 app pages but am having trouble duplicating what you describe

12. taran420

taran420 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
  13. Crypton

Jan 28, 2009
    Germany
    As I said before the voice memo app is the one which creates the additional page. But I do move more than that over the last page. Normally Weather, Stocks, iTunes and occassionally Music, Video, Contacts.
    But as soon as Voice Memo is over the "edge" and I power down (holding the power-button for two seconds and slide the red slider) and on again. I have the additional apps page.
    I works with 14 as well, but I removed it, as I don't have that many apps currently on my Touch.

What I've discovered is that after turning the Touch on again I only have about 31 MB of free RAM. This may be because of the Springboard loading all the icons of the apps, but I don't know.
    Moving the icons also feels a little sluggish... But that could just be me...

14. Crypton

Jan 28, 2009
    Germany
    I'm currently on 14 pages.
    Was anybody else able to reproduce this?

15. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    I could swear I saw that "more" button in the Appstore. I went back to look for it one day and it was gone.

What happens when you have more dots at the bottom of the page than will fit on the screen?

16. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I too had trouble moving the Memo guy by trying to move it directly off to right but I could pull it off the old fashioned way easy enough.

1) Have have all of your current tabletop pages filled with at least one app on the bottom bar.

2) Move Memo to the very last space on your furthest right page.

3) Grab that app on the bottom bar and place it to the left of the Memo app and thus pushing the Memo app off into limbo on the right.

4) Reboot and, BLAM, you'll have a new near blank page (the new pages always seem to show up to the right of the mandatory apps).

17. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    Thanks for this great tip! I now have 15 pages. Will see if this affects my free RAM cap.

18. seyoon

seyoon Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    East Coast
    Please keep us updated if there's any stability change. This glitch will definitely come in handy.

19. WirelessJ

WirelessJ New Member

Aug 14, 2009
    #19 WirelessJ, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
    Ok, here we go...

So I just joined this forum since this is where I learned of this glitch, and am surprised that it hasn't spread like wild fires. I have some updates and answers to peoples inquiries, here is my long, drawn-out version that should be easy to follow, let me know...

1) To answer a question I read above.. If you have more 'dots' than can fit on the bottom of the screen, they just 'float' off of the screen, and scroll accordingly to the page you're on, or pull spotlight over from the left when invoked.

2) Fact: 19 pages fit with spotlight visible, see my pic. I went up to 21 just to test, but don't need that many as I 'only' have 271 apps (see pic 2) on my phone, so I like to keep it to the 'max' without going off the screen, but if I need to go over in the future I freely will.

3) This is just a clarification, or just another way of doing the same thing; You do need 11 pages with apps, but not 'full' pages, just at least 1 I guess, I always kept a minimum of 2 just in case I moved one by accident... The reason for this is simple, if you have only 1 app on a page, and it gets moved to another page for any reason, you will loose that page, or I guess I should be saying 'home screen'.

So if you have 11 home screens going with at least 1-2 apps per page minimum, then here is how you add a new page the easiest and quickest, we'll just call this number 4...

4) Have your last page (this will be #11 your first time, or 15,16, etc as you are adding pages) full of apps to the max, with the 'voice memos' app being the very last on the bottom-right. You DO NOT need to move any other native apps to the last page as mentioned earlier such as contacts, camera, etc, just the voice memos one.

I always made sure that my main home screen, #1 was full of apps, not sure if this is necessary or not, just didn't have the time test all scenarios. Once you are 'setup' like this, here is all you do:

Scoll to your last screen (ie, 11) and just move one of your apps up from the dock on the bottom like the phone app or whatever you have down there like safari, mail, etc. This in effect pushes the voice memos app 'out' and you no longer see it. Now just do a complete re-boot and you will have a new 'dot' and room for apps. Rinse and repeat for more, enjoy friends...

Attached Files:

20. PhagoCychotic

PhagoCychotic Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    ^ that is boss! Thanks for the tutorial :D