OS 4.0 for 1st gen ipods

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Zombie_dance, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Zombie_dance

Zombie_dance Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Will the update come out for the first generation ipod? I really hope so.

2. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    No. It's like trying to put win7 on the first computer, you can complain all ya want, but it simply can't handle it. Period.

3. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    The 1st gen iPod touch and original iPhone use essentially the same hardware as the iPhone 3G. There may be technical reasons I'm not aware of, but this seems to be more of a business decision.

4. Zombie_dance

Zombie_dance Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Eh, im not going to complain imgoing to be selling my ipod touch 32 gb for 150-200$ then im going to borrow enough to get the new 3g ipod.

5. I think it is more a business matter, so people get new hardware... :(

6. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    It's not bussiness. It's the power behind each unit. Plus the 1st gen stuff probably is running out of full charges to handle battery:

7. 5jusername

5jusername Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    School...
    Somewhere In The Universe
    it's probably both. the ipod 1st gen could probably run it, but with a shortened battery life and lag.

8. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    That was my point. I couldn't have thought how to put it clearly.

9. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Considering Apple left out multitasking for the 3G and the 2nd Gen iPod Touch, they could have just as easily did that for the 1st Gen iPod Touch and the original iPhone. I'm guessing this was a business matter.

10. GalvinBrown

GalvinBrown New Member

Apr 8, 2010
    I am also not aware about the such any update of first generation ipod.Please share some brief information regarding to that if it is like so.

11. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    #11 ChaoticBox, Apr 10, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
    Ditto. @Mondae: Check that link in my first post. The 3G's CPU, GPU, and memory specs are the same as the 1st gen touch and iPhone. The 3G might have better battery performance but that doesn't matter considering it'll be running OS 4 "Lite" with no multitasking and other restrictions. If anything, the 1st gen touch has even fewer power concerns - no camera, no cell, no speaker, no mic, no bluetooth...

EDIT: I'm not saying Apple should support the 1st generation devices, I'm just saying they probably could if they really wanted to. I've got an old Dual 800MHz G4 Mac that "can't" run Leopard, even though an otherwise identical single-processor 1GHz G4 Mac is supported. Apple does this sort of thing all the time - they just draw a line and you gotta live with it or upgrade.

12. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    Multitasking is fair enough, but couldn't all other features such as Folders, Game Center, iBooks, iAds, or the ability to change your wallpaper easily work on 1st gen devices? It seems a bit strange to me that Apple says they're not powerful enough.

It could just be they think it's out of date hardware not worth supporting, but a lot of 1st gen iPod touches are only 1.5 years old, that's a bit of a short product life Apple has relegated them to, isn't it?