iPad Orions

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by NotYou, Dec 10, 2008.

1. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    #1 NotYou, Dec 10, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  2. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    I don't think it looks like a port. It does look like it's worth the $2 though. I might try it out.

3. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    It says it won an award in 2007 from PC Magazine for best strategy game. I assume that means its a port.

4. AchillesReborn

AchillesReborn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Card battles? I just bought it. I'll try it and tell you what I think.

5. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I just bought it too. I'll post my thoughts later.

6. AchillesReborn

Nov 29, 2008
    Looks very promising so far. Nice layout, easy controls, and the core battle system looks great so far. Only played a few battles, but seems like a mix between yu gi oh and magic the gathering, with a detailed campaign mode to boot, featuring random maps, locations you can expand by buying buildings etc.
    Now back to playing.

7. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    What exactly do you DO?

8. Rocketman919

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    Also if anybody would like to make a gameplay vid it would help my chances of purchasing (or not purchasing) this game.

9. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
  10. AchillesReborn

Nov 29, 2008
    Sorry, I'll try and give a quick explaination.

The core of the game is a battle card system. If you don't know anything about battle cards, it's basically a system where you battle using creatures and spells represented on cards. Has nothing to do with a standard deck of cards. you select cards with different abilities based upon the resources that they cost to use. It has a high element of strategy, and does not rely on reflexes at all.

Gotta go, work calls!

11. Rocketman919

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    ARe there any kind of animations, like in pokemon? And does that mean you hAVE to use the bathroom?

12. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    This is pretty polished. I don't know much about these games, but so far it's great. The interface and graphics work very well. Now I just need to learn to play card games like this:rolleyes:

I'm glad I bought it. This what's so great about the app store. I just bought Warfare inc, Orions, and Paradise (just came out tonight also) and only spent $8. That's a lot of gaming for $8!:)

13. polyplay

polyplay Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Minnesota
    Looks and sounds interesting, but I have a few questions.

What is the depth/complexity of the game? 75 cards isn't really a lot for a collectible card game.

And how do you obtain new cards? Do you beat other players and get their cards or random cards, or do you "find" new cards?

14. VirtualAlex

VirtualAlex Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    I am also very interested in this. I am an avid Magic: the Gathering player, so I am into card games. Explain more about the gameplay.

15. ITrocks

ITrocks Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Yea, i loved Magic: The Gathering, used to thrash with my wirewood elf deck, awesome stuff. +2/+1! Tchyea.

16. AchillesReborn

Nov 29, 2008
    Check out the earlier link for an indepth review, albeit for the pocket pc version, which I believe is very similar (although the developer says this game has improvements).

17. polyplay

polyplay Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Minnesota
    I might get this tomorrow (or, technically, later today).

The reviews answered most of my questions. But two important ones remain: Can you quit in the middle of a battle and have it saved? And what do you folks think the replayability factor is with this game? I *love* the idea of randomly-generated maps, but wouldn't it really just be a slight reorganizing of pretty much the same stuff? I mean, it doesn't seem that the different maps would allow for a change in basic strategy from game to game.

18. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Would you recommend this, even if I'm not into trading card games?

19. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Well from what I recall from playing the PPC version, trading cards is a relatively small part of the game compared to picking the card you use against your enemy (how much damage can a card do, what special ability does it have that protects my team or damages the enemy team?).

So if you like that last part, it still may be a game for you. But if that last part doesn't interest you either, you could just as well have asked "Should I eat a biscuit if I really don't like any kind of cookies?" ;)

20. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Haha thats true... anyways I just bought it, I figured 2 bucks isn't that much....;)