Orions 2

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Vernimator, Nov 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IzzyNobre

IzzyNobre Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    The price for the original Orions is back at $5. I honestly don't know what they are thinking.

2. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Well, TA even frontpaged it upon release; that thread received a lot of responses. Of course, it was quite long ago.

3. IzzyNobre

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    High price point, no lite version, no multiplayer (multiplayer games were already thriving well before Game Center showed up), promised updates that never came... and they wonder why it didn't sell well...?

Sometimes I wish Gameloft would either acquire the IP, or rip it off like they usually do. Orions has SO MUCH potential, yet it's so poorly managed.

4. IzzyNobre

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    I was talking about Orions 2, by the way. No one knows this game is coming out except for us.

5. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008
    Agreed. Well, IMHO, synchronous multiplayer would be sufficient as there're five cards at most and one tends to finish his or her move in, say, 10-20 seconds, assuming he/she knows the capabilities etc. of each card and doesn't need to, say, look up the best way of counterattacking a given card from a chart or a tutorial.

Implementing synchronous multiplayer via Game Center is really-really easy, particularly if one doesn't bother with invitations. (Anon player picking i really easy to program.)

6. IzzyNobre

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    #106 IzzyNobre, Dec 31, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
    You know what? I have a feeling they won't put in multiplayer. Not even anon real time multiplayer. I can almost guarantee it, and it makes me sad to see the potential go to waste.

They don't seem to understand that games with multiplayer make people advertise them to their friends. A multiplayer mode would create a community around Orions. The potential for in app purchases is there, too, but they won't do anything with it.

Since we were promised updates before that never came, I expect version 1.0 to be the definitive Orions 2 version :(

7. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008
    In today's mail, he told me he's just studying Game Center, including my tutorial sources. That is, at least they want to implement it. I will help them with Game Center programming if they get stuck. (I don't think they would as it's really easy.)

8. kraivyne

kraivyne Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Sadly, I full agree with IzzyNobre. Just as when I used to follow the original Orion's: Legends of Wizards thread, Izzy was correct back then and is now.

Although I would love to be proven wrong with a surprise information release including multi player and what not.

The potential of Orion's will only be exposed to the relative few TCG players on the Touch Arcade forums unless imoregames decides to do some front page advertising and introduce a first week buyers "special price"

I Just don't understand the way they deal with their releases. If Orion's was my baby, I would be doing advertising left right and centre. Along with a mass of codes to review sites and a blog about the game with a feature on planned updates.

Alas, I feel I am asking for the unreachable.

9. IzzyNobre

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    The thing is, I HOPE I'M WRONG.

I'm still really hyped for Orions 2. It's a first day purchase for me regardless, I'm just such a big fan of the game.

I just hope they don't turn their backs on the game like they did before.

10. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008
    Well, I'll constantly bug them for multiplayer. I'll even help them with programming synchronous multiplayer as I know Game Center quite well.

11. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    Re multiplayer, look what Conlan Rios did with Samurai. There are plenty of people out there who have already played multiplayer over 100 times. As a former Mtg player who played twice in the US Nationals, I would even be happy to get stomped at the hands of another human in O2.

12. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008
    Me too. The AI is just so easy to defend particularly if you learn its weaknesses and in custom deck mode with your preferred cards.

13. deadclown

deadclown Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    #113 deadclown, Dec 31, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
    I have emailed the devs FIVE TIMES (in the course of 2010) about a sequel to Orions. I got two responses, both of them very different. The first said that a version that isn't Deckmasters is coming out in Summer 2010. The next reply said the Deckmasters version was coming out in November.

But the fact that I had to email two different addresses and only got a response 40% of the time says a lot about their lack of business sense.

Too bad, too, since the first game was so great. I STILL play it every once in a while. (and I got it when it first came out!)

14. deadclown

Apr 13, 2009
    Are you beta-testing or something?

15. kraivyne

kraivyne Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Just for the sake of argument; I would like to provide exhibit A:

imoregames twitter account has 8 updates, the last posted by them on the 22nd of December.

Not one of these tweets even mentions Orion's: Legends of Wizards or Orion's 2.

No wonder no one follows them lol

16. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008
    Sorry, can't answer this question before asking Pavel...

17. deadclown

Apr 13, 2009
    I think you just did. ;)

Well, if anybody happens to need a (clearly) diehard fan of the first Orions, a 15 year veteran of CCGs, a mathematical deckbuilder with an unquenchable passion for procrastination....I might know where to find one.

18. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    need. to. beta. please.

19. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008
    OK, I give up :)

Pavel has asked me for two of my (numerous) iOS UUID's some 7-8 hours ago after my offering him to be a beta tester about a month ago, just like back in the WinMo days. That is, I still don't have the app but may receive it any time. Hope as soon as possible - I'm very happy that the best Windows Mobile game of all times (I've played them all) is being ported to iOS and I no longer have to take my old iPaq 210 with me just to be able to play Deckmasters.

20. deadclown

Apr 13, 2009
    Ooh, awesome! But: now I'm drooling. :)

If you get a chance, encourage Moregames to drop an update on the launch ETA every once in a while! I mean, if they're going to put in the work to produce a complex game, may as well do the (bare minimum) to promote it!